Beheading scene cut from Robot of Sherwood

Comments

• mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised, given how big a plot point the beheading is, that they didn't just swap episode 3 and 4 round to accommodate. Without filming new footage, I can't see how they'll be able to edit it without destroying the resolution.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The large spoiler now on various news sites is a lot more annoying than some minor editing probably would have been! ^_^ And doesn't DS have a policy against mentioning leaked things?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the right thing to do.
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    The large spoiler now on various news sites is a lot more annoying than some minor editing probably would have been! ^_^ And doesn't DS have a policy against mentioning leaked things?

The beheading is hardly leaked. It's all over the news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    The beheading is hardly leaked. It's all over the news.
    No, I mean posters mentioning that they have or had the leaked scripts/episodes. DS was having a hairy fit about those last month. :blush:
  • lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would Dr Who feature a scene like that anyway :confused:

this.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    This is the programme that brought you the Headless Monks and (going further back) The Brain of Morbius and The Five Doctors. It's not that surprising.

Didn't Tom Baker nearly get the chop in Masque of Mandragora as well ?
    It wouldn't bother me if it was included, but people with nothing better to do than compare fiction with the real world and deem it bad taste would complain.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Tom Baker nearly get the chop in Masque of Mandragora as well ?
    It wouldn't bother me if it was included, but people with nothing better to do than compare fiction with the real world and deem it bad taste would complain.

i think its more about being sensitive to the situation where a Brit maybe killed and the obvious two recent events. Nothing to do with comparing real world with fiction.

Not the brightest post in the thread!
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they had much choice, even if it is going to hurt the plot.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Understandable that they don't want any flak, but I hope the editing has been done well, as it will be annoying if it means that the episode dosen't make sense or feels disjointed because something that was supposed to happen in the middle now dosen't.

Kind of wish this thread title hadn't been so spoilerish though because if I hadn't seen it I could have been blisfully unaware but now I feel i'll be trying to spot where the scene was cut from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    i think its more about being sensitive to the situation where a Brit maybe killed and the obvious two recent events. Nothing to do with comparing real world with fiction.

Not the brightest post in the thread!

I didn't phrase it very well, but when something is filmed months beforehand and then the horrendous events happen, then fine cut the scene.
    That's some of the problem in the world though ? Any sniff of a comparable event or image and people jump on it like a ton of bricks.

Sorry for being thick.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can understand and totally get why such a scene would be cut. However - Many of us were trying to avoid watching the leaked episodes, please be more respectful with your thread titles :(
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    please be more respectful with your thread titles :(

I didn't know about this beheading scene until today, it's all over the press so you'd have to live in a cave from now until 7:30pm Saturday to not hear about it.
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    I'm surprised, given how big a plot point the beheading is, that they didn't just swap episode 3 and 4 round to accommodate. Without filming new footage, I can't see how they'll be able to edit it without destroying the resolution.

ISIS isn't going to vanish in a week, so swapping episodes isn't going to work. I haven't seen the episode or its script, so can't say just how important a plot point the beheading is. If it is crucial, then perhaps the best thing would be to pull the entire episode, and only release it on disk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can understand and totally get why such a scene would be cut. However - Many of us were trying to avoid watching the leaked episodes, please be more respectful with your thread titles :(
    This!! People (including on news sites) seem to have forgotten what a spoiler warning is tonight! :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus context is a big thing. Depending on what is beheaded and how its depicted.
    Are every film or TV show that involve some sort of execution or killing going to be stopped from being shown for the time being ?

Its just unfortunate that Dr Who is a prime time TV show with an ill timed scene.

I guess I'm not very bright for having a view that life and everything should go on regardless.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    This!! People (including on news sites) seem to have forgotten what a spoiler warning is tonight! :blush:

I appreciate that people like 'Doctor Who' and want to stay spoiler-free but, let's be honest, it an utter irrelevance compared with what's going on in the real world. If people are annoyed that they've been 'spoilered' over this then maybe it's time to get some perspective.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's now just a spoiler for the DVD release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate that people like 'Doctor Who' and want to stay spoiler-free but, let's be honest, it an utter irrelevance compared with what's going on in the real world. If people are annoyed that they've been 'spoilered' over this then maybe it's time to get some perspective.
    These are news articles entirely about 'BBC edit Doctor Who'. Not ones about the general ISIS/Middle East situation (which I am worried about) that happen to mention it as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Do not think that I would want to see an actual beheading scene in Doctor Who anyway, but regardless, I do think cutting the scene was probably the best thing to do at this time.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both knees and both elbows jerking.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact the more I think of it the more this sort of thing annoys me. Its entirely unrelated to the serious and very real subject at hand. Would anyone really be offended? Maybe a few sad sacks with Ofcom on speed dial. Anyone directly involved in the tragic real events would no doubt have more on their minds to concern them than a fictional show like DW. Who exactly is this cut protecting? Knee jerk reactionary types who get offended. So when is it fine? When do we not care about journalists being savagely executed? The answer should be never. So what? It never gets shown? Its Robin Hood crossed with Doctor Who for goodness sake. But hey. It'll take up column and brain inches that should and would be better occupied thinking about the complex issues involved. This cut just smacks of idiotic over sensitivity from a frightened broadcaster. Woeful.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus context is a big thing. Depending on what is beheaded and how its depicted.
    Are every film or TV show that involve some sort of execution or killing going to be stopped from being shown for the time being ?

Its just unfortunate that Dr Who is a prime time TV show with an ill timed scene.

I guess I'm not very bright for having a view that life and everything should go on regardless.

I remember when ITV pulled Coronation Street when they were showing a hostage situation at the same time as Raoul Moat's rampage. If a big event happens in the world television reacts.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know about this beheading scene until today, it's all over the press so you'd have to live in a cave from now until 7:30pm Saturday to not hear about it.

I live in a cave.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But the discussion is about what you won't see so I struggle to see who's spoiling here?

Is it a spoiler to say Clara won't get her tits out for the merry boys?