Take the High Road STV Glasgow

Comments

• inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit mean but apparently scripts and stories were quite advanced when they had to scrap them so wonder if it was revenge or just they knew he'd never stay forever so a good storyline to get rid for good.
  • Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be good to see all of Jimmy's 1986 return, as some of these episodes were missing when STV Youtube had them online.

Will also be good to see the episodes which directly follow Elizabeth Cunningham's car accident.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Good_boys wrote: »
    Yes, 1990 saw the introduction of TJ, Kenny, Greg Ryder, Paul Martin, Trish and Gary McDonald. However, quite a few long standing characters appear to have been let go during this revamp. A certain character is never seen onscreen again after this but his family remain in the show. I have a feeling that this actor may have quit over other actors being let go. His character developed a drink problem and was apparently beating his wife and ultimately walked out on his family. (all off screen)

To be fair the show developed a habit of characters disappearing, and unlike the example above, there is usually no explanation given.

Marie McNeil had a young son who was occasionally seen for a while, but then stopped being mentioned altogether in the later years.

When Sarah first arrived she had a younger brother, but he soon disappeared from memory.

Tom and Morag Kerr had a very sensitive storyline where they tried to adopt a boy with Down's Syndrome. It was very well written but as soon as the adoption was approved, the boy disappeared from the show and was never mentioned again!

Trish ran away - although she did get an exit, it was never confirmed what happened to her.

I vaguely remember there were a couple of old women who used to be in the hotel bar a lot, one (or both) of them was hard of hearing. They disappeared without explanation around the time of the revamp.

There used to be two bars in the hotel (one was a lounge, the other more of a pub). One of them disappeared without explanation and was never seen again.
  • Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good_boys wrote: »
    It will be good to see all of Jimmy's 1986 return, as some of these episodes were missing when STV Youtube had them online.

Will also be good to see the episodes which directly follow Elizabeth Cunningham's car accident.

I spoke to STV a couple of weeks ago and the reason many were missing from Youtube was due to copyright issues, they have confirmed they have the lot and that none are missing from the archive.

Let's not put spoilers as some may be watching these for the first time I accidently came across Elizabeth's accident on here a few years ago that's how I knew about that, speaking of which is it coming up or at the end of the year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    Marie McNeil had a young son who was occasionally seen for a while, but then stopped being mentioned altogether in the later years.

Sandy was 10 during the social work storyline in 1992. When he re appeared in about 1998/99, played by a different actor, he was well into his 20s. Oops.
    I vaguely remember there were a couple of old women who used to be in the hotel bar a lot, one (or both) of them was hard of hearing. They disappeared without explanation around the time of the revamp.

Grace Lachlan, Jean McTaggart (hard of hearing) and Nan Anderson
    They disappeared when it became High Road but Grace and Jean had a one off cameo during the Gala Day in 1995. That was their final appearance in the series.

There used to be two bars in the hotel (one was a lounge, the other more of a pub). One of them disappeared without explanation and was never seen again.

Yes, the other bar disappeared after the show became High Road - probably due to budget cut after loss of networked status.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch TTHR religiously when it was first on but i'm amazed when i watch it now by how much i don't remember.

Re: spoilers. We also need to remember that stv Edinburgh viewers are a few years behind too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe STV Edinbrugh are 7 months behind us so what they have now we got in March this year
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Such a shame we haven't ever had a reunion or mini series to catch up with the people of Glendarroch. There's a lot of affection for the show still. I always thought it'd be interesting to see how a highland estate like Glendarroch would be working now in devolved Scotland with Land Reform bills having gone through and communities starting to take estates in their own hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think tonight could well be someone's last episode
  • P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Such a shame we haven't ever had a reunion or mini series to catch up with the people of Glendarroch. There's a lot of affection for the show still. I always thought it'd be interesting to see how a highland estate like Glendarroch would be working now in devolved Scotland with Land Reform bills having gone through and communities starting to take estates in their own hands.

I would have thought STV might to that as well like some sort of program looking back at Take the high road and the cast etc. It's a shame how the program was just dumped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P-Combo wrote: »
    I would have thought STV might to that as well like some sort of program looking back at Take the high road and the cast etc. It's a shame how the program was just dumped.

The only programme of this type was Take the Highlights. This was made in 1992 to mark the show reaching its 1000th episode. It involved clips and cast commentary. For the end credits, an section of each version of the theme tune was used to make up the full closing theme.

There was also a short perhaps 15 min highlights show that was shown from time to time.

I'd love to see interviews with surviving cast, find out their strongest memories, favourite moments etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame that a lot of the cast are no longer with us, even ones you'd have normally have expected to be still alive at their age, but would love mockumentary style programme where they go around the village speaking to the castbin character. Mrs Mack did trailers for when it was coming back to stv glasgow and she was still spot on in characterisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan_Cbbc wrote: »
    I think tonight could well be someone's last episode

Oh well....if its who i think it is/was then it was a sad ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great episode tonight, with Fiona basically telling Ruari a few home truths
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never stick Ruari for some reason. How does Fiona react to the death of her former best friend. I'm sure she has to face another death soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't happened yet, he's on the "Mend" Eddie told Mr Forsyth, so im sure it's this week at some point and then I believe the next big death isn't until the end of 1986.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The longest goodbye. I remember they played the sad music that seemed to have been introduced recently before the end credits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful that piece of music
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The longest goodbye. I remember they played the sad music that seemed to have been introduced recently before the end credits.

That's right. That was one of the scenes which was shown on Take the Highlights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can tell in those days that tv themes were performed by a proper orchestra rather than some electronic piece of equipment. To think Stv had a musical director in those days. How times have changed!
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I' m getting paranoid. I keep seeing the name Glendarroch in people' s posts :D:D:D

I used to watch High Road with my Gran. One episode that always stuck in my memory was Jimmy dying - I think possibly he would have been the first main character who I' d seen die on TV and that' s why it hit home. I recently found an episode on YouTube where Brian was standing by the water thinking about Jimmy and it was a really still, beautiful, moving scene. I wish we got more of this sort of writing on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I' m getting paranoid. I keep seeing the name Glendarroch in people' s posts :D:D:D

I used to watch High Road with my Gran. One episode that always stuck in my memory was Jimmy dying - I think possibly he would have been the first main character who I' d seen die on TV and that' s why it hit home. I recently found an episode on YouTube where Brian was standing by the water thinking about Jimmy and it was a really still, beautiful, moving scene. I wish we got more of this sort of writing on TV.

This was a time when tv was less of a factory and no doubt writers got time to think about scenes and dialogue unlike today when its just churned out due to the volume of eps. This scene must be due soon on Stv Glasgow.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a time when tv was less of a factory and no doubt writers got time to think about scenes and dialogue unlike today when its just churned out due to the volume of eps. This scene must be due soon on Stv Glasgow.

I enjy the odd murder, affair and helicopter crash, but I do long for the days when they were happy to let the actors and writers do what they do best. . I wish there wasn't so much emphasis on high drama. Even looking back at old eps of Eastenders, it struck me that in its early days it was about people having conversations- mulling on events-while they had their tea, and bickering with each other, rather than high drama, baby swapping and murder. Emmerdale has changed beyond recognition.There was a great scene a few weeks ago with Cain and Debbi just talking to each other at aa graveeside, but tthere's not enough of that kind of thing in properortiion to the the drama.

That scene with Brian really resonated with me, because so many of the men I grew up with were the 'strong, silent, boys don't cry types...' and I could picture them going out into the garden, 'taking a walk' or going fishing to deal with emotional things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. He probably never said anything in that scene but said a lot really.

Unfortunately high drama, stunts are here to stay I fear. If you think of the writers like Kay Mellor who worked on Corrie and think how much time effort she puts into her drama's, its clear there was a thiught process in those days. Recently in the old TTHR's both Brian and Isabel had attention from other people and although maybe tempted, they didnt act on it.....30 yeats later if it was on now they'd be in bed with the person before the end of that episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that Jimmy's (four episode?) return stint is spaced over quite a long time.