Options

Gary Numan

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
Forum Member
Isn't it time this artist was better known for more than just 'Are 'Friends' Electric?' and 'Cars'?

Comments

• Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it time this artist was better known for more than just 'Are 'Friends' Electric?' and 'Cars'?

Agreed, Radio Heart, Down in the Park, I die you die. All great songs. It is just a shame that non fans only know him for Cars & Are Friends Electric.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You reminded me, still got Radio Heart CD to add to my collection :P

I think with this upcoming Machine Music tour in Summer, it'd be a wonderful chance for fans, and new ones, to see him perform some of his best stuff before he goes to live in America.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only got 'Replicas' by Numan and apart from 'Are Friends Electric' and 'Down In The Park', I found the rest quite hard to listen to. I think 'Cars' is the token signature song that has the most appeal to non-Numan fans. I also rate 'Music For Chameleons' too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    I've only got 'Replicas' by Numan and apart from 'Are Friends Electric' and 'Down In The Park', I found the rest quite hard to listen to. I think 'Cars' is the token signature song that has the most appeal to non-Numan fans. I also rate 'Music For Chameleons' too.

Brilliant album though :)
    Laughed my head off when Alan Partridge 'danced' and did air guitar to 'Music For Chameleons'.

I think Numan's later, darker, more industrial work has divided fans, but I find it fantastic all the same.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant album though :)
    Laughed my head off when Alan Partridge 'danced' and did air guitar to 'Music For Chameleons'.

I think Numan's later, darker, more industrial work has divided fans, but I find it fantastic all the same.

Such a great moment! :D:D:D

Numan performed MFC on Jim'll Fix It, and the kid who gets to meet him looks so underwhelmed about the whole experience!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Such a great moment! :D:D:D

Numan performed MFC on Jim'll Fix It, and the kid who gets to meet him looks so underwhelmed about the whole experience!

I've seen that kid on Numan's official Facebook page.. despite 'looking'underwhelmed he's still a big fan or so it seems :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Numan is an icon. People tried to ban his music and stop him getting royalties because it was made with synthesizers (machines).

I think his 'Dead Son Rising' album is a return to form. Seems to have finally caught a 21st Century sensibility.

Personally I thought 'Telekon' was his best album. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Telekon is a great record!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Telekon was bloody fantastic. SO glad when he revived a tour with it in 2006 :)
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really liked his work since the Tubeway Army days.

He was brilliant @ Sonisphere a couple of years and he looked like he was having a great time as well.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just bought his new album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His music-along with Karftwork- (and I only found this out recently) had an enormous influence on early hip hop and break-dance act's in the USA back in the early 80s and in particular Afrika Bambaata:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1AypBaIEk

Zero recognition from the British Music industry just like Depeche Mode had influences on House music. No special BRITS for them.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,021
    Forum Member
    The live "Cars" duet with NIN from a couple of years ago was frankly one of the best things I ever found on Youtube.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more, huge huge fan since I was 6 (1983) seen him 80 times in concert

I'll go out on a limb here and say my fave albums are Dance, I Assasin, Strange Charm and of course PP

fave live album has to be LO 79 and White Noise
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh and excited for the new tour, hearing stuff that i've not heard since Exhibition tour, namely Beserker

wonder what else he'll do live, I was happy with the Telekon, Replicas and PP Tour, but to hear some more obscure stuff will be brill
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Friends Electric? gets an hour-long piece on radio 2 tonight. Some long overdue consideration for his landmark records. Sad that he is now just an aging heavy-metal artiste, overly influenced by the very acts that he himself influenced.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Are Friends Electric? gets an hour-long piece on radio 2 tonight. Some long overdue consideration for his landmark records. Sad that he is now just an aging heavy-metal artiste, overly influenced by the very acts that he himself influenced.

You think so? He used both keyboards and guitars in the past and has never been solely synthesizer based.

If anything the fact he can play at festivals like Sonisphere and receive a warm reception shows his broad appeal as an artist.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think so?

I know so. Bought his records since I was a kid and even did some work with him over the course of a couple of years. His early Machine trilogy of Replicas, Pleasure Principle and Telekon will never be equalled and it is these records he is respected for today not Dead Son Rising or any of his other "I hate God" nonsense.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Numan is at least more than a two hit wonder...'I die, You die', 'Music for Chameleons', 'Praying to the Aliens', 'Down in the Park'. I have to admit being a fan from seeing the 7" version of Down in the Park pinned to the window of Caroline Music and then told all my friends I had discovered this amazing new artist and I hadn't even listened to the record. Luckily, it actually was amazing and a few weeks later 'Are Friends Electric' was no 1 and I looked like very prophetic.

I went to see him two years ago in Belfast and he was still good.
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    The live "Cars" duet with NIN from a couple of years ago was frankly one of the best things I ever found on Youtube.

Yes, that was actually quite brilliant and NIN do a great version of Joy Division's 'Atmosphere'. NIN must be fans of late 70s electronic music!