Options

Why are the Daily Mail so obsessed with cancer?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Do people not realise this is a general discussion item?
    About a newspaper. Hence why...

General Discussion Forums > Books, Magazines and Newspapers
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people not realise this is a general discussion item?

Perhaps he should change his name to confused...I've always thought it more apt.:D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »

There's a thread about the Olympic torch route - do you want to explain to them that it should be in Sport or Travel?

This thread may be about a newspaper but is a general discussion item, imo, not specific enough to be in a specific Newspaper forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goneril wrote: »
    Perhaps he should change his name to confused...I've always thought it more apt.:D

I can't comment or I'll be accused of being in a bullying clique!

In answer to the OP, I think it's because DM journos, like a lot of tabloid journos, are lazy, and it's easier to regurgitate crap every weeks than it is to get off their bums and go and look for some real stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a thread about the Olympic torch route - do you want to explain to them that it should be in Sport or Travel?

This thread may be about a newspaper but is a general discussion item, imo, not specific enough to be in a specific Newspaper forum.
    I've always thought we should get an Olympics sub-forum. I suspect there will be one nearer the time once discussion increases.

And.. exactly (bold). Take another read through the first page. How much more specific do you want to get? It's discussion of a newspaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've always thought we should get an Olympics sub-forum. I suspect there will be one nearer the time once discussion increases.

And.. exactly (bold). Take another read through the first page. How much more specific do you want to get? It's discussion of a newspaper.

Well, you know where the alert button is, don't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For Gods sake give it a bloody rest. It's bad enough we have the spelling police,the grammar police, the burn 'em up and hang them high police, we don't need a self appointed forum thread chief of police too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For Gods sake give it a bloody rest. It's bad enough we have the spelling police,the grammar police, the burn 'em up and hang them high police, we don't need a self appointed forum thread chief of police too.

^^ This! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    It's PC gawn MAD...erm... phone the Daily Mail :D
    Oi! that's newspaper related...move it NOW!:D:D:D
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Gods sake give it a bloody rest. ......

He is expressing an opinion. Regardless of whether or not you or I agree with it, this is an inappropriate, intemperate and ill-mannered response.

[I guess this makes me in your view a "manners-nazi".]
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    They're appealing to a demographic that likes to be frightened or outraged. Or preferably both.

This.

Scare stories, like hate stories, generate readership and hence revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry ,I just feel a bit protective over the newspaper forum since it was my idea. I feel like im it's dad and you're depriving it of food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    He is expressing an opinion. Regardless of whether or not you or I agree with it, this is an inappropriate, intemperate and ill-mannered response.

[I guess this makes me in your view a "manners-nazi".]

I consider myself well and truly chastised. I'm sure that will give you a glow of pride....and no I do not view you as a ''manners- nazi'' because Nazi is not a description to be used lightly in my view.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just cancer, they are also obsessed with the BBC, people on benefits and Pippa Middleton. The Mail is a dreadful paper, did you see See You in Court on BBC1 last night? There was some high flying lawyer who said that the Mail is the worst paper for getting sued by celebrities as it never checks its stories properly. It's a load of shit.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Sorry ,I just feel a bit protective over the newspaper forum since it was my idea. I feel like im it's dad and you're depriving it of food.

Junk food in this instance.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm innocently curious about their reporting style. To me, it seems bizarre. So I asked here about it. What's the problem?

There is no major problem, I'm simply pointing out that moaning about the Daily Mail happens on this forum every single day and it's rather tiresome.

I hate eating oysters, so I don't eat them.

I hate drinking real ale, so I don't drink it.

I hate watching Last of the Summer Wine, so I don't watch it.

DS members hate the Daily Mail, yet seemingly they read it. Sorry, but it makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no major problem, I'm simply pointing out that moaning about the Daily Mail happens on this forum every single day and it's rather tiresome.

DS members hate the Daily Mail, yet seemingly they read it. Sorry, but it makes no sense to me.

So you are posting to complain. About people who complain. Hmmm. Is there a pot and a kettle around anywhere?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mail is the second most popular online newspaper in the world.. It is very good at what it does, which is why it is such a target of liberal left hatred.
    Mail Online, Associated Newspapers' online network, has overtaken the Huffington Post to become the second most popular news website in the world in March, according to new figures from metrics firm comScore.

Arianna Huffington's groundbreaking news and opinion website, which was bought by AOL for $315m (£193m) in February, was leapfrogged by Mail Online, which is now second only to the New York Times in ComScore's "newspapers" category.

Mail Online has grown exponentially in the past three years, in part due to its showbiz-laden front page, but also because of its focus on US news. Associated has been hiring editorial staff in New York and Los Angeles to feed its online news operation.

According to comScore, Mail Online reported a 27% rise in unique visitors between February and March, to 39,635,000. Huffington Post, meanwhile, recorded a 20% lift, to 38,429,000 unique visitors.

Mail Online remains the most popular UK newspaper website. However, the site suffered a slight drop in UK online traffic in February – the first in a period of sustained growth, according to the latest figures from the Audit Bureau of Circulations Electronic.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/19/mail-online-website-popular

Its strength is that it is an inherently discursive paper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    So you are posting to complain. About people who complain. Hmmm. Is there a pot and a kettle around anywhere?

Not complaining old boy. Just incredibly curious.

Do you know the answer - why would someone read a paper that they obviously hate so much?

(I'm not talking specifically about the OP. She's stated she glances at it because her parents read it. I'm talking more generally. DM is the most hated paper on this forum, yet those who hate it always seem to know exactly what's going on in it. How? Unless they read it? And why do they read it if they hate it so much? Surely the more sensible option is to ignore it?)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

None of those things do any real harm in moderation. The Daily Mail's constant fear-mongering and hate-mongering could potentially harm many people and should be picked apart and ridiculed at every opportunity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of those things do any real harm in moderation. The Daily Mail's constant fear-mongering and hate-mongering could potentially harm many people and should be picked apart and ridiculed at every opportunity.

So are you saying that people who do it are on some form of "crusade" to save those they deem as less intelligent from believing the DM?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I concur!
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    The Mail is the second most popular online newspaper in the world.. It is very good at what it does, which is why it is such a target of liberal left hatred.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/19/mail-online-website-popular

Its strength is that it is an inherently discursive paper.

That's exactly why people do slag it off. The fact that it is read by so many means that a significant part of the population are having their opinions informed by hate, hysteria and downright lies.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are you saying that people who do it are on some form of "crusade" to save those they deem as less intelligent from believing the DM?
    I would say it's more a case of keeping the speculation, findings of incomplete research, half-truths and outright lies in check before they become commonly-held beliefs amongst people of various levels of intelligence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D That is oddly endearing. I must try and find some interesting newspaper thoughts.