Looks like HMV in trouble

tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
Forum Member
HMV in trouble in talks with banks as will not be able to meet its commitments BBC news

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everytime i am in HMV it is very busy:confused:
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    galaxy99 wrote: »

Sales down by 13.5% on this time last year
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HMV were bitching the onther night on the news about people who go into their shops, scan the products and buy it cheaper else where. :confused: I mean why would I pay £19.99 for a DVD from there when its £13 online :confused:
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    HMV were bitching the onther night on the news about people who go into their shops, scan the products and buy it cheaper else where. :confused: I mean why would I pay £19.99 for a DVD from there when its £13 online :confused:

LOL thats exactly what I do! And I agree. If it's listed as £22 in HMV but £12-£15 online with FREE postage, why the hell would I pay the price at HMV?... They need to price themselves better and more competitively I think
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is really expensive compared to other shops (suppose I mean supermarkets). Their pre-owned game prices are so high that you may as well ourchase a brand new copy from elsewhere.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you suprised??? They're so overpriced it's unreal. They failed to keep up with the times and that's just the way it is.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame for the staff though. They really need to change their pricing structure instore and online. They should reduce the number of stores as well. Sell off some assets (Apollo which I think they are doing).
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    a bit like Wile E Coyote theyve run off the cliff and are hanging in space waiting to drop

like the rest of the economy
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member

A lot of people use them as a reference library, they look to see if there is anything of interest and go home and download it.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But are those people in the shop actually buying? The shop can be packed, but if most of the people walk out empty handed, then the company's not going to be making much money.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are completely over priced. I go to the supermarket or buy online. My daughter does go to HMV if someone she likes is doing a signing though :)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've been in trouble for months and have been living on borrowed time for ages.

You don't even need to go online to beat their prices, I was looking to buy Disney's Brave for my daughter for Christmas. In HMV it was £12, ther very next shop along in the arcade was ASDA where you could get it for £10. If you really wanted to then 5 minutes walk away was Sainsburys where you could shave it down to £9.99. :p

If you can't even compete with the shop next door you're not going to do well.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    They seem to have followed that classic mad sales tactic so prevalent in the UK. When sales are down and you aren't making as much money, put the prices up to make up the shortfall. D'uh!
  • Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone even shop in that overpriced dump anymore?
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    LOL thats exactly what I do! And I agree. If it's listed as £22 in HMV but £12-£15 online with FREE postage, why the hell would I pay the price at HMV?... They need to price themselves better and more competitively I think

exactly!

We are in troubled times, people havent got the money anymore. With the reccession hiting is all, there is going to be casualties. I know people dont want it to fall, they said the same about Woolies but with things the way they are there isnt time for sentiments
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate how after a while releases INCREASE in price. What was say £15 on release is now £22 or more. I find that true of most of the Blu-ray Disney DVDs. Wall E for example is anywhere up to £30 sometimes in store. You can get it online for a fraction of the cost
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    HMV seems to have been in trouble for years, always talk of their impending demise but they generally seem to survive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »

I do the opposite. I check reviews on Amazon and then go buy it in HMV. Sometimes it is a little more expensive but I would get it immediately and if something does go wrong I can take it back straight away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaymes wrote: »
    I do the opposite. I check reviews on Amazon and then go buy it in HMV. Sometimes it is a little more expensive but I would get it immediately and if something does go wrong I can take it back straight away.

Oh I do still buy in HMV if I really really can't wait a few days but for the most part I don't mind waiting 3 days for a DVD if it's going to be £6 less. I've never had any issue with Amazon itself. I did buy something from a secondary party which turned out to be region 1 but I had no problem sending it back and getting a refund straight away
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Well we just got an xbox 360 250gb with 2 games and my husband was cheeky and asked then to throw in Black Ops 2 and a years live membership for £166. It was airside at Heathrow (where the hubby works) so it was gonna be a little cheaper anyway, but I'm sure they were desperate for any sale. Was good for us though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the reason why HMV can't compeat with Amazon is because they pay their taxes in the UK.

Everyone got on their high horse about Starbucks, but I have yet to see the backlash against Amazon.
    Sick of hearing people complaining that their small local bookshop has been closed down, then go onto Amazon and download a book to their Kindle.

Go and buy your chart music at Asda, but try finding an album that is older than a month. You won't get the same back catalogue in a supermarket.

Oh and Asda is owned by wal*mart. Shall we go into their practices with staff pay, especially in America.

Support companies who pay they taxes, pay their staff a decent wage, and have had a long history in this country. Without HMV the Beatles wouldn't have cut their first demo at 363 Oxford Street.
    HMV is still a British company. (Rant over)
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.1987 wrote: »
    Does anyone even shop in that overpriced dump anymore?

Well obviously some people do or it would have gone bust a while ago...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This argument can't be had both ways.

The stronger argument is for your own personal economy - buy from Amazon if it's cheaper. Whether or not they pay the correct amount of tax in the EU (because this is the point, it's not a UK issue) is not for you to debate or decide.

HMV only exists for those who prefer to browse - the browsing experience isn't the same online. Plus, the returns process if you are unlucky is far simpler.

Browsing doesn't pay the rent and rates on the shops, the utility bills, the staff wages, the transaction and banking charges, etc.

But, don't be surprised when the High Street is a ghost town - online selling is already killing it. Soon it will be all coffee shops and fondleslab emporiums.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the reason why HMV can't compeat with Amazon is because they pay their taxes in the UK.

Everyone got on their high horse about Starbucks, but I have yet to see the backlash against Amazon.
    Sick of hearing people complaining that their small local bookshop has been closed down, then go onto Amazon and download a book to their Kindle.

Go and buy your chart music at Asda, but try finding an album that is older than a month. You won't get the same back catalogue in a supermarket.

Oh and Asda is owned by wal*mart. Shall we go into their practices with staff pay, especially in America.

Support companies who pay they taxes, pay their staff a decent wage, and have had a long history in this country. Without HMV the Beatles wouldn't have cut their first demo at 363 Oxford Street.
    HMV is still a British company. (Rant over)

Also I think we are a nation of early adopters, quite impulsive people who latch on to new ideas like out-of-town retail parks and online shopping (and pay TV, mobile phones etc). Invariably the new ideas benefit the big companies which have the foresight to invest in them whilst the old companies are slow to catch up. There's something in our national psyche that skews our values towards the new and stops us from appreciating what we've got until it's gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    but it's not just their prices it's their stock that's the problem. I went in a few months for the new Madonna album and they just didn't have a copy, I mean it's not like I was after Fudge Tunnel's greatest hits, it was Madonna for crying out loud.