Options

When will it be socially acceptable to denigrate FAT people?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As it is now socially acceptable to denigrate smokers as everyone now knows the harm that they do to themselves and others.

So just when will it be acceptable to publicly criticize the overweight ?

They are now becoming a national burden. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the same time as it's fine to demonise the sanctimoniously judgemental, I'd say.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Fat people aren't as harmful to others as smokers.

They may be a drain on the NHS, but in both cases, further treatment should be denied for conditions caused by unhealthy eating/smoking if they first don't agree to a healthier diet/stop smoking, otherwise there's no point in treating them
  • Options
    LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    About the same time as it's fine to demonise the sanctimoniously judgemental, I'd say.

Is that the same time as the anally pompous? ;)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    As it is now socially acceptable to denigrate smokers as everyone now knows the harm that they do to themselves and others.

What a generalisation!
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the effects of passive fatness that society needs to come to terms with.:cool:
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a former overweight person I don't think it's really fair to be rude to people who struggle with their weight or openly criticise them. Yes some people may be lazy but there are other factors to weight issues that people often tend to ignore. Being overweight, my confidence was low so having someone criticise me only made me worse. Granted I overcame my weight issue but only via an eating disorder then gym. i wouldn't say they are a burden at all. They are people at the end of the day
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been done. I'll give you 2 out of 10 for trying.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    As a former overweight person I don't think it's really fair to be rude to people who struggle with their weight or openly criticise them. Yes some people may be lazy but there are other factors to weight issues that people often tend to ignore. Being overweight, my confidence was low so having someone criticise me only made me worse. Granted I overcame my weight issue but only via an eating disorder then gym. i wouldn't say they are a burden at all. They are people at the end of the day

Very true, medical conditions due to neurological and developmental disorders can affect weight.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the ones that think you're anorexic if you're not overweight. Obesity is rapidly becoming normal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Obesity doesn't kill, complications arising from it can though just the same as alcoholism and going to the other end anorexia.... why just the 'fat' people?
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    deleted.
  • Options
    dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have any problem providing they dont take two seats up on the bus
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »

In writing a list, I can think of many more candidates for 'national burden' than the overweight.

Just what good would 'denigrating' them be and to what end, other than to give the 'denigrators' a misplaced sense of superiority???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClazaB wrote: »
    Obesity doesn't kill, complications arising from it can though just the same as alcoholism and going to the other end anorexia.... why just the 'fat' people?

Alcoholics are annoying.
    At least anorexics don't go around giving unwarranted advice to normal people like the chubbers do.

If an anorexic person was to tell you you needed to lose weight you would go 'yeah, right...you are ill'

If a chubber tells you to gain weight, you can't say anything or they will cry :cry: boo hoo have a Twix and shut your hole for five seconds :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    In writing a list, I can think of many more candidates for 'national burden' than the overweight.

Just what good would 'denigrating' them be and to what end, other than to give the 'denigrators' a misplaced sense of superiority???[/QUOTE]

That's not a good enough reason by itself?
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on the slim side of a healthy BMI range but I still get overweight people criticising me and telling me I am way too thin and need to eat more. I only seem to get this from fat people and not healthy weight nor slim people. I feel like telling them I don't get enough to eat because they're hoarding all the food, but of course it's against the rules to ever criticise fat people to their face while they can say whatever they like about thin people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ you speak the truth home person
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Alcoholics are annoying.
    At least anorexics don't go around giving unwarranted advice to normal people like the chubbers do.

If an anorexic person was to tell you you needed to lose weight you would go 'yeah, right...you are ill'

If a chubber tells you to gain weight, you can't say anything or they will cry :cry: boo hoo have a Twix and shut your hole for five seconds :mad:

I'd have said all three have issues that need treating. I don't think any enjoy the prospect of eat/drinking/starving themselves to death
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They may be a drain on the NHS, but in both cases, further treatment should be denied for conditions caused by unhealthy eating/smoking if they first don't agree to a healthier diet/stop smoking, otherwise there's no point in treating them
    I'll agree with this; I'd even go as far as saying smokers don't bother me either as long as they keep their smoke to themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClazaB wrote: »
    I'd have said all three have issues that need treating. I don't think any enjoy the prospect of eat/drinking/starving themselves to death

People who confuse their own stupidity with illness are morons and should not receive NHS treatment. OMG I've had a heart attack. Help me.
    That's because you shove cake down your gullet all day. Stop doing that and you'll be fine.
    But I like cake.
    Oh well then. On your head be it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    People who confuse their own stupidity with illness are morons and should not receive NHS treatment. OMG I've had a heart attack. Help me.
    That's because you shove cake down your gullet all day. Stop doing that and you'll be fine.
    But I like cake.
    Oh well then. On your head be it

Some illnesses I believe can cause a weight gain/loss ie thyroid problems. I agree I don't know or any that make people drink or smoke though!
    I'm just interested in why all your little 'situations' seem to be directed at the overweight why not...
    Omg my organs are failing!
    That's because you won't eat, stop doing that you'll be fine
    But I think I'm fat
    Oh well then on your head be it :rolleyes:

It kind of works both ways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've no problem with this so long as we ban rich people from buying health treatments to ailments that they cause through their lifestyle and continue to cause, George Best is a perfect example of this.
  • Options
    dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fat people are ok..Its those with blackheads in their noses I cant get on with..Too idle to squeeze them out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your obviously not old enough to know that in the days when there were no Government Warnings about the dangers of smoking and British troops were issued with `Woodbines` (although they were aware of the dangers in the 1940s) and early TV advertising led you to believe that smoking made you a more social animal & popular with the ladies. We all lived in ignorance...unlike the obese of today
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whaaaaatever.

Fat and proud. CHUBSTERS GOT THE POWER!