People who don't open their windows in hot weather.

heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit of a trivial thread but I thought I'd ask because it genuinely baffles me. It's been so warm recently and where I live the majority of windows are firmly shut. I've also noticed it in other residential areas when walking past. Why wouldn't you want to let the fresh air into your home, especially in this weather? :confused:

Comments

• macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're out enjoying the sun and don't want burgled.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have air-conditioning so that is why and there is this invention called a fan that has took the world by storm
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    curtains drawn and windows shut make it cooler.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have air conditioning (like me) or fans switched on.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Hay fever, or as above don't want to get burgled....or they are on holiday/at work!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't been hot though. It's been in the low 20's during the day and dropping down at night.

I've still been putting my heating on for an hour in the mornings til it warms up
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know they are definitely in? I wouldn't leave my windows open when I'm out the house.

I also tend to keep my upstairs windows closed as my cat fell out of one once! So am slightly worried she may do it again... I just have downstairs ones open and the doors :)
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a family friend who lives on our street and hasn't opened her windows in 20 odd years. My mum knows this as she is very eagle eyed, and also, she hasn't cleaned her net curtains in 20 years either -- the windows/nets are full of black grime as you'd expect! She had new windows put in, put the nets up, and then has never done anything with them ever since.

I have my window open practically everyday in summer, except when I am going out. Well, actually, it depends. At home, my bedroom is upstairs and at the front, and it has a latch so it can be propped open on the latch when I go out and can't be opened any further etc. from the outside, so I actually leave it open 24/7 in summer - wide during the day, and on the latch at night or when I am out for a long period of time. My room at uni is upstairs but at the back, with no latch, so I always close it when I go out, as it'd be easy to break in to without anyone seeing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave my window open all the time, the police installed these little things that allow you to leave them open without them being broken into.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have air-conditioning so that is why and there is this invention called a fan that has took the world by storm

A fan with windows closed will just recirculate all the warm air that is already in the room - why would anyone want that? :confused:

The best place to have a fan is near an open window, oscillating. That way it blows the cool air coming in from the window in to the room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curtains drawn and windows shut make it cooler.

Very rarely true unless the heat is REALLY REALLY intense and/or your house is poorly insulated (so is cooler already). If it's well insulated then you need to let the heat out some how.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fan with windows closed will just recirculate all the warm air that is already in the room - why would anyone want that? :confused:

The best place to have a fan is near an open window, oscillating. That way it blows the cool air coming in from the window in to the room.

i have air conditioning please read my post correctly and also frozen bottles of water placed in the room is also adequate
    Forum Member
    Very rarely true unless the heat is REALLY REALLY intense and/or your house is poorly insulated (so is cooler already). If it's well insulated then you need to let the heat out some how.
    i`m not letting it in in the first place.

it`s true where i live, and the place before it, both with full sun all day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have air conditioning please read my post correctly and also frozen bottles of water placed in the room is also adequate

I read it carefully/correctly, here is what you said - your exact words:

You having air conditioning is irrelevant, as I never mentioned it and wasn't talking about it. Normal practice with air conditioning is to have windows and doors shut tight. Everybody and their dog knows this.

The same cannot be said for a fan, which, if you read my post "correctly" (your words, not mine) is what I was talking about. I never mentioned air conditioning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`m not letting it in.

Then either you live(d) in the Sahara desert or your house is already cooler (probably due to poorer insulation) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`m not letting it in in the first place.

The only way keeping doors and windows closed makes inside the house cooler than outside, is if the house is already cooler than the outside. Hence my point about insulation.

That's just common sense, surely? If you have windows and doors closed and no/little air coming in, then the only way the house can be cooler inside, is if it was already cooler in the first place. There's nothing coming in or out the house to make it any cooler, ergo it must have been cooler to begin with. That isn't even science.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it carefully/correctly, here is what you said - your exact words:

You having air conditioning is irrelevant, as I never mentioned it and wasn't talking about it. Normal practice with air conditioning is to have windows and doors shut tight. Everybody and their dog knows this.

The same cannot be said for a fan, which, if you read my post "correctly" (your words, not mine) is what I was talking about. I never mentioned air conditioning.

if you have any common sense you would understand that i use air conditioning and my fan to cool the house down and/or also bottles of water placed adequately around the room without air conditioning with a fan on is substantial
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is too noisy outside to have the windows open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is too noisy outside to have the windows open.

i agree i also have double glazing
    Forum Member
    The only way keeping doors and windows closed makes inside the house cooler than outside, is if the house is already cooler than the outside. Hence my point about insulation.

That's just common sense, surely? If you have windows and doors closed and no/little air coming in, then the only way the house can be cooler inside, is if it was already cooler in the first place. there's nothing coming in the house to make it any cooler, ergo it must have been cooler to begin with. That isn't even science.

yes, it`s cooler in the first place, due to having the blinds down and the windows shut. that`s what i said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    my curtains closed but windows open..That way i dont get flys etc flying in..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have any common sense you would understand that i use air conditioning and my fan to cool the house down and/or also bottles of water placed adequately around the room without air conditioning with a fan on is substantial

Why do you keep talking about air conditioning? You said there was an invention called a fan which has taken the world by storm. It is there in black and white for everyone to see? :confused:

So I replied, saying that a fan doesn't do diddly squat if you have no cool air coming in in the first place.

Your air conditioning is irrelevant. I haven't mentioned it, because, I know how air conditioning works - and it works better with doors and windows closed. I haven't disputed that.

I just didn't mention it because it was irrelevant to your point that "there was an invention called the fan which has taken the world by storm".

Uh no. A fan does nothing except circulate air. If this air isn't cool then it just recirculates warm air.

Feel free to reply talking about your air conditioning for another 40 odd posts. But it'll still be as irrelevant in 6 years time as it is now.

My point is about fans, not air conditioning. You seem to have an infatuation about talking about air con?!

This is like someone saying "most cars run on petrol" and you saying "well I have a bike". And what?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have knobby neighbours with a chimney, high pitched yapping dog and a daily mowing obsession. I open my windows at night. They used to be open day and night all year round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no need. I have a punkhawallah does a fabulous job following me all round the house. Absolutely indespensible he is. His name is Amrik but I call him Andy. Only £6 a fortnight too.