Options

Angela Lansbury

comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been watching some videos on Youtube of her. Who else thinks she is one of the best actresses ever. Even at 83 years old he is still working full time on broadway, i just hope she has still got the time to do a few more films, because she has been underated in the movies. If you ask me she is just as great as Meryl Steep, if not better!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she is superb. Though you might get a more replies in the movies section. :)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She is brilliant and very versatile.

I know she has had far more prestigious roles, but a fav of mine was her portrayal of Aunt Hortense Boutin in the mini-series 'Lace'

Outstanding.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I remember her in "Lace" ."incidently (long pause) which one of you bitches is my mother?"One of my favorite series, with Phoebe Cates and Arielle Dombasle. I loved the french version. Anyways what was the other series she was on? It was pretty popular in the US, and ran for a long time.
  • Options
    ClientFanClientFan Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a marvellous actress and a heroine of stage and screen, but I find her unchanging age somewhat disconcerting. Growing up my abiding impression of her was always as Jessica Fletcher, then when I got into movies and starting seeing her films from decades earlier she looked virtually the same!! It's very apt that one of her earliest films was The Picture of Dorian Gray...
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ama2k9 wrote: »
    Oh I remember her in "Lace" One of my favorite series, with Phoebe Cates and Arielle Dombasle. I loved the french version. Anyways what was the other series she was on? It was pretty popular in the US, and ran for a long time.

Do you mean Murder She Wrote?

I used to really fancy Arielle Dombasle. The most beautiful woman God ever created (back then):o:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessica Fletcher! Blast from the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was also brilliant in an episode of Law an Order 3 years ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean Murder She Wrote?

I used to really fancy Arielle Dombasle. The most beautiful woman God ever created (back then):o:)

Yes thats it! Seems like that series ran forever. And yeah, Arielle was beautiful. She looks virtually the same if you look see her now! Ah the power of the plastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is one of the few actresses that has not had plastic surgery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    I think she is one of the few actresses that has not had plastic surgery.

Oh sure, but I wasnt talking about Angela Landsbury. And youre right she is. Thats why I admire Brigitte Bardot, one of the most beautiful women ever. she never did it either.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like Murder She Wrote. AL is a good actress of course but the character she plays is so annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you i think AL has got one of the longest IMDB records, she had done so much work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    I don't like Murder She Wrote. AL is a good actress of course but the character she plays is so annoying.

I agree. I just mentioned it, because it seems like it was always on tV, and very annoying. LOL. But she is a legend though.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've always followed Angela's career from when I was little. Her grandfather, George Lansbury was leader of the Labour Party and was a very popular politician in East London, where I live, and did a great deal of good work in the area. He has buildings and estates named after him, and I always think of Angela when I pass them, as I remember reading how proud she was of him. She and the late Oliver Postgate were cousins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Lansbury
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lansbury

Nanny McPhee was on yesterday, Angela was in that and was brilliant, as ever!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always remember her from the disney films she mae back in the 60's bed nobs and broomsticks that sort of thing, and then of course for Murder she wrote.
    She seems to be an actress that can just carry off any sort of character. though I've not actually see her play anything in the way of a serious villain type part so not sure if that would be quite the same. She has the very distinctive face and voice that you can almost identify from just a few minutes of seeing the film.
    Those are the actors I like as well as they dont take their characters across with them either.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    I always remember her from the disney films she mae back in the 60's bed nobs and broomsticks that sort of thing, and then of course for Murder she wrote.
    She seems to be an actress that can just carry off any sort of character. though I've not actually see her play anything in the way of a serious villain type part so not sure if that would be quite the same. She has the very distinctive face and voice that you can almost identify from just a few minutes of seeing the film.
    Those are the actors I like as well as they dont take their characters across with them either.

I never realised that she sang this one either...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSi58VX9XnA&feature=related
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very odd watching her in Dorian Gray, so used to seeing her as an old woman.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes I think she is under estimated too. I've heard that she is as nice in real life as she is in MSW (without the corpses of course)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of our best exports. Fantastically talented lady.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fine Actress--if you want to see her in a dead straight role, watch the mid 60's film "The Manchurian Candidate"--what a horrid character she plays in it........probably her best role in straight film....in comedy/childrens, probably Disney's "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Shes also the voice of Mrs Potts in Beauty and The Beast and sings the title song
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angela looks good at 83 and is still going strong.

She has always been quite underrated as an actress despite having a versatile career spanning several decades.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,259
    Forum Member
    I used to love Murder She Wrote, thought Angela was fantastic in it.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Murder She Wrote is always on TV somewhere. Seems to be a day of it on Alibi today!