Brian Wilson, rock's survivor

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys should be given the title of rock's survivor. To have lasted so long and still be capable of making decent music and touring after two decades of drug and alcohol dependency, mental illness and massive weight gains and loss is amazing. Also even at the height of his addictions, he could still churn out works of genius like Smile and could still compose hits for the band.

Comments

• Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys should be given the title of rock's survivor. To have lasted so long and still be capable of making decent music and touring after two decades of drug and alcohol dependency, mental illness and massive weight gains and loss is amazing. Also even at the height of his addictions, he could still churn out works of genius like Smile and could still compose hits for the band.

Oh, I agree with that. You also have to take into account he had to cope with losing his two younger brothers as well.

On the topic of Smile, I really love his version of Heroes and Villians. Looking forward to hearing his new album, No Pier Pressure next month. :)
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you said :)

But

I think Keef is angling for that trophy alongside Brian :D, god knows the man has seen the scorching files of hell back in the day
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then there is also his sacking from The Beach Boys. As Mike Love wanted more control of the band.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a biopic coming out soon with John Cusack and Paul Dano? Is it meant to be any good?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Then there is also his sacking from The Beach Boys. As Mike Love wanted more control of the band.
    Mike Love held the band back. He still wanted them to sing about surfing and girls even when surf rock was dying out and blocked the release of Smile, which could have really moved the band on. That said, albums like Smiley Smile and 20/20 were still good and record sales remained excellent in Britain.
    Also with regard to Brian, he strikes me as quite a polite, modest man and says his main passions in life are his music and taking a walk every day.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The man is a genius.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Mike Love held the band back. He still wanted them to sing about surfing and girls even when surf rock was dying out and blocked the release of Smile, which could have really moved the band on. That said, albums like Smiley Smile and 20/20 were still good and record sales remained excellent in Britain.
    Also with regard to Brian, he strikes me as quite a polite, modest man and says his main passions in life are his music and taking a walk every day.

The failure of Pet Sounds in America at the time of release. Did not help Brian's mental state and it allowed Mike Love to take control.
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    The man is a genius.

He really is.