The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Do you try and change perception by commissioning different things or just stick with what does well?

They have to keep trying new things and surely eventually something will click - otherwise they will just continue with the same few hit programs with a vast desert of nothing in between. Although I am not sure even now how they have got themselves into the position where their filler shows for want of a better expression have collapsed so much - I mean a few years ago their gameshows etc were doing more than ok.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Rather odd scheduling for Car Share on BBC1 - 9.30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday (10.50 in Scotland) and then those two episodes edited together at 11.25 on Friday. Are they trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible ?

Maybe they know there is little chance of any futher series so do not want to make too much fuss?
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street 6.4m (35.0%) 8:30pm 5.79m (27.0%)
    Eastenders 6.22m (31.5%)
    Emmerdale 5.44m (32.1%)
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Maybe they know there is little chance of any futher series so do not want to make too much fuss?

Why have so many posters decided it's going to be a flop? Those who've seen it say it's very funny.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Coronation Street 6.4m (35.0%) 8:30pm 5.79m (27.0%)
    Eastenders 6.22m (31.5%)
    Emmerdale 5.44m (32.1%)

Coronation Street torpedoed by Masterchef:D
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member

I was wondering why it had a lower share than normal. I guess Masterchef will bring in a decent rating
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But as always, when everything is weighed up, it is the strongest soap in ratings terms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second Corrie had 5.4m without +1, so Masterchef was comfortably ahead. The audience for MC inevitably rose in the second half hour. There were 6.6m watching at 9.15pm.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    They have to keep trying new things and surely eventually something will click - otherwise they will just continue with the same few hit programs with a vast desert of nothing in between. Although I am not sure even now how they have got themselves into the position where their filler shows for want of a better expression have collapsed so much - I mean a few years ago their gameshows etc were doing more than ok.

Even established shows were new once. You keep trying new things but also fo that while making shows people want to watch. ITV and Channel 4 went off the boil in certain genres as the commissions didn't work.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member

Or Betty's Hotpot is past its sell by date? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    The second Corrie had 5.4m without +1, so Masterchef was comfortably ahead. The audience for MC inevitably rose in the second half hour. There were 6.6m watching at 9.15pm.

That's interesting Bushmills. I wonder if Masterchef would have been well over 6m with a 9pm start?

It does say something about soaps now where slightly stronger competition like Masterchef can dent them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more

HIGNFY - 4.7m
    Gogglebox - 3.3m (inc +1)
    Slow Train/Africa - 2.3m (inc +1)
    NCIS - 900k (inc +1)
    Sex and the Church - 700k
  • Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills, did GMB improve last week post Piers Morgan? I was expecting a small increase anyway with all the schools being back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night was the final EastEnders omnibus. A programme that famously takes some timeshift recorded viewing from the weekday episodes as we discovered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more

HIGNFY - 4.7m
    Gogglebox - 3.3m (inc +1)
    Slow Train/Africa - 2.3m (inc +1)
    NCIS - 900k (inc +1)
    Sex and the Church - 700k

Thanks again Bushmills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did Masterchef actually get last night?
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    What did Masterchef actually get last night?

5.85m/27.5% peaked at 6.6m/31.1%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    5.85m/27.5% peaked at 6.6m/31.1%

Not bad at all for a Friday night opposite Coronation Street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, the 5.8m Corrie figure is excluding +1. With +1 it had 6.1m.

Full soap ratings:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a*****4/coronation-street-gail-and-michaels-wedding-seen-by-64m-on-friday.html#~paRt6z0waQJoOP
    Forum Member
    Why have so many posters decided it's going to be a flop? Those who've seen it say it's very funny.

Was not necessarily thinking flop just that PK might not want to do more especially as this series took so long to film/edit etc
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

Remember that Bushmills numbers are never tape-checked.
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I think Car Share will do well. But being on iPlayer first might hurt ratings.
    Isn't the fact that it's on IPlayer first surely the biggest sign yet that formal ratings simply don't really matter that much any more?

Sky have clearly been taking that view for a long time (and almost seem to actively discourage people from watching their shows in their main scheduled slot) and the BBC are moving much more in that direction now too.

IPlayer is no longer just 'catch up tv'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Remember that Bushmills numbers are never tape-checked.

Yes but we'd already been given tape-checked rating which effectively voids the non-tape-checked one. Masterchef wasn't "comfortably ahead".
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad at all for a Friday night opposite Coronation Street.

Not bad even if Coronation Street wasn't there. Though half of the show was opposite weaker opposition.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather odd scheduling for Car Share on BBC1 - 9.30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday (10.50 in Scotland) and then those two episodes edited together at 11.25 on Friday. Are they trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible ?

Not odd at all they have done similar things with Mrs Browns Boys. It's also been on IPlayer.
This discussion has been closed.