Should I go to work today?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I booked off today and tomorrow off work as holiday.
I was supposed to go in on Wednesday as usual but woke up feeling stuffed up and sore from the neck and up.
Did try and drag myself into work anyway but realised when I was halfway there that I'd never last half a shift in that state never mind a full one, so phoned in sick.
Bagged an emergency docs visit who said it's a viral infection, stay warm and rested, drink plenty of fluids etc.
Rang work back to pass this info on to them and my boss said that because I was sick, my hols would be cancelled, but she'd ring me back.
I went home and promptly collapsed into bed and was out for a good 6 hours before my mum came home and woke me up.
Checked my phone but hadn't received a call from my boss whilst I was sparked out.
Could still barely speak and was too busy medicating to call back before the end of the shift.

Yesterday I've felt a little better but still not 100%; I'm only awake now cos I slept for 3 hours and then for another 10 hours straight. Not how I planned spending day 1 of my 4 day weekend.

The question is, if my holiday entitlement has been cancelled, should I go into work today, even if it's to go straight back home because I doubt I'll be well enough to spend the best part of 10 hours in front of a computer screen listening to customers bitch about how they've not paid their bill.
And even if I am well enough to work, it's supposed to be my holiday anyway!

What should I do DS?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your boss has cancelled you hols and opened a sickness absence. If you are not well enough to work you should follow normal procedure and calll in sick. Any holidays booked during a sickness absence should be reinstated and your boss willl manage your absence as per company policy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah cool. Doc reckoned 7-10 days for it to fully pass but knowing me I'll be back at work Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    Ah cool. Doc reckoned 7-10 days for it to fully pass but knowing me I'll be back at work Monday.

Don't go back on Monday, it will just look like you blagged an extra day off on Wednesday!

Go back on Tuesday at the earliest, or much later if you're still feeling like death warmed up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebel MC wrote: »
    Don't go back on Monday, it will just look like you blagged an extra day off on Wednesday!

Go back on Tuesday at the earliest, or much later if you're still feeling like death warmed up.

I don't work Tuesdays, next working day is Wednesday.
    I know what it looks like, that's why I tried to drag myself into work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    I don't work Tuesdays, next working day is Wednesday.
    I know what it looks like, that's why I tried to drag myself into work!

Then listen to your doctor and go back on Wednesday, if you're well enough.

Also, have a thought for your co-workers, they might not want a week off because you're spreading your germs around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebel MC wrote: »
    Then listen to your doctor and go back on Wednesday, if you're well enough.

Also, have a thought for your co-workers, they might not want a week off because you're spreading your germs around.

this ^

I made that mistake before because I didn't want to take too much time off work sick. I just ended up spreading it around the office and then working late and weekends to help cover for the people who were off sick because of me.

The thing is the boss didn't mind me coming into work still sick but was pretty pissed off at me once everyone else got it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I've got it is because someone else who still had it came into work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beaware ... when you go off sick that counts as one sick absense no matter how long it is for ... to come back then go off again sick because you were still really too sick to work equals 2 sick absenses in the managers book ... one more sick day off and they will be investigating you and your chances of promotion will sky dive ...

I had three major operations and thus 3 periods of sick absense and despite doctors notes and the fact everyone knew that I had surgery I was still hauld into a room and asked why I had been off sick so much ..

Play the system. if you go off sick make sure you are well when you come back an dont for a second think that a doctors sick note counts for anything if you are sick for over a week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Not that I'm suggesting you would - but here is advice I got when I start work many years ago.

If you are ill - call in sick and stay off work - but if you are seen out and about the town, be ready to explain why !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macalloa wrote: »
    If you are ill - call in sick and stay off work - but if you are seen out and about the town, be ready to explain why !!!

Oh yeah I'm well aware of that one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beaware ... when you go off sick that counts as one sick absense no matter how long it is for ... to come back then go off again sick because you were still really too sick to work equals 2 sick absenses in the managers book ... one more sick day off and they will be investigating you and your chances of promotion will sky dive ...

Been made aware of that by a couple of the long termers at work, I don't intend to return until I know I'm over it.
    I've been ill before and got better only to have a second wave hit me the following day.