Options

Dark City vs The Matrix

LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
Forum Member
✭✭
When I first the matrix back in 1999, I thought it was the most amazing and original movie I'd ever seen. Not too long ago I came across a movie called "Dark City" by accident and almost didn't bother watching it. After watching it, all I could think of was that the matrix was a rip off of this film which came out a year before the matrix. Personally I think the visuals in the matrix are better but the story in Dark City wins hands down. I still think the matrix is a cool film with so many metaphors in it, but it just dont seem as original or intelligent as it once did.

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark City, easily.

Matrix is ok but other than the FX there is nothing original about it.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion of the Matrix is that its a very over rated sci fi that hasn’t aged very well, when I watch it now it just comes across as a bunch of kids showing off with effects and trying too hard to look cool, it was good at the time but now pales in comparison to other sci fi classics.

Saying that, Dark City seemed like a bit of a mess to me but I prefer it to Matrix.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I'm a long-time lover of Dark City, but I just don't see how they are related...

Mind you, this kind of thing is said a lot about movies and I rarely get the connection.

What are the similarities? They seem very different in terms of style, theme and subject.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    I'm a long-time lover of Dark City, but I just don't see how they are related...

Mind you, this kind of thing is said a lot about movies and I rarely get the connection.

What are the similarities? They seem very different in terms of style, theme and subject.

thats true, totally different, Dark City was more fantasy wasnt it lol
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »

There's loads of stuff out there describing the similarities, this one for example, http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/7015/index/

There's also a YouTube clip called Dark City v the Matrix, it's very short but it highlights just how similar the two are in terms of theme and subject. (There's also another one that goes into how similar the are in style, but its in Spanish)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved "Dark City"!! One of my faves!
    (The Melissa George topless scene is just the icing in the cake! :D:o)

But "Matrix" & "City" don't really seem comparable. Beyond the fact that both films feature "manufactured worlds" and the protagonist discovers "super-powers" they are very different in tone.

I love "City" for it's concept, the time-freezing, the final battle, Jennifer Connolly as a torch-singer, and the general sense of mystery and film-noir stylings.

I also love "Matrix" for it's OTT fight scenes, the soundtrack, Laurence Fishbourne, the slo-mo, and Agent Smith.
    (NB: HATE the sequels though).

Can't really choose between them. Please don't make me!
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    There's loads of stuff out there describing the similarities, this one for example, http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/7015/index/

Thanks for that. I had to read that twice and I still think the links are nebulous at best. I need to watch both again and then repost on here. I saw the Matrix last week, but haven't seen Dark City for years.

Loved Richard O'Brien in it, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Dark City has nothing on Matrix, Matrix is one of the most influential film of all time and will remain a classic.
  • Options
    womcomwomcom Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Matrix, lost count of the amount of times I have watched it.

Seen Dark City once, not as great as The Matrix for me but still a good movie.