Options

Classic radio themes

13»

Comments

• Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    How about "Soul Finger - the Bar Kays? (as used by....
    Emperor Rosko
  • Options
    GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    How about "Soul Finger - the Bar Kays? (as used by....
    Emperor Rosko

Stuart Henry surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    Stuart Henry surely?

I have since had my doubts! :D

Definitely one or the other though?
  • Options
    theoldiesmantheoldiesman Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Tony Prince used it on Caroline North too

• Options
    Forum Member
    Tony Prince used it on Caroline North too

"You're Royal Ruler!"
  • Options
    Colin_WilliamsColin_Williams Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    "Here There and Everywhere", from the Mike Leander album "Migrations". Memories of the wonderful Ray Moore Late Show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well it was definitely a Saturday wasn't it?!! :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    Well it was definitely a Saturday wasn't it?!! :):)

Yes and having investigated further I have to concur that you were correct.:)

See Stuart next to the record label...

(Coulda sworn it was ER).:confused:
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Ray Moore used to use an instrumental of The Beatles Here There & Everywhere, either on In Town Tonight or his early show; it fitted him well.

The old Sport On 2 theme that became Sport On 5 (Saturday lunchtimes) was pretty good, till it was updated and improved beyond recognition.

Alan Freeman's whole intro - not just The Sound Of The Swinging Cymbal - was top notch, a mish-mash of bits & bobs.

All great.

Oh what am I thinking? Take It Off The Top by The Dixie Dregs, for The Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Out to Lunch' - the theme from BBC R4's 'Radioactive'. I paid silly money for a mint condition 7" vinyl copy a while back - and I don't have a turntable at the moment...:blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87i3gDx4Hbo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and having investigated further I have to concur that you were correct.:)

See Stuart next to the record label...

(Coulda sworn it was ER).:confused:

I have some old tapes of Stuart ,so I sort of knew!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Ray Moore used to use an instrumental of The Beatles Here There & Everywhere, either on In Town Tonight or his early show; it fitted him well.

The old Sport On 2 theme that became Sport On 5 (Saturday lunchtimes) was pretty good, till it was updated and improved beyond recognition.

Alan Freeman's whole intro - not just The Sound Of The Swinging Cymbal - was top notch, a mish-mash of bits & bobs.

All great.

Oh what am I thinking? Take It Off The Top by The Dixie Dregs, for The Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance.

Loved fluffs weekday opening using swinging cymbal and soul bossenova by Quincy Jones along with a jingle and portion of the first record on that day's show.
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Bar- Keys were used by Stuart Henry, Fingertips by Stevie Wonder was used by Tony Prince.
    I remember the opening to Tony Prince show on 208 was so exciting with Stevie singing "everybody say yeah" and Prince introducing the show at all the right places in the song.
    Radio at its best never to be heard again.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    the Bar- Keys were used by Stuart Henry, Fingertips by Stevie Wonder was used by Tony Prince.
    I remember the opening to Tony Prince show on 208 was so exciting with Stevie singing "everybody say yeah" and Prince introducing the show at all the right places in the song.
    Radio at its best never to be heard again.:(

I'm under the bedclothes with you (so to speak):blush::D
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many to choose from, but personal favourites are Out of the Blue( Sports Report), Theme One( used to open Radio 1 in the late sixties), The Knightsbridge March( In Town Tonight), Horseguards Whitehall( Down Your Way), Town Talk( Jimmy Young), Brother CCS( Top 20).
  • Options
    BazzieBazzie Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Saturday Club theme, Saturday Jump by Humphrey Lyttelton, later updated to New Saturday Jump.

Also Easybeat (your Sunday best!), by the Johnny Howard Orch, I think
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    So many to choose from, but personal favourites are Out of the Blue( Sports Report), Theme One( used to open Radio 1 in the late sixties), The Knightsbridge March( In Town Tonight), Horseguards Whitehall( Down Your Way), Town Talk( Jimmy Young), Brother CCS( Top 20).

have you heard Late Night Extra, a true great amongst theme tunes, I think it was composed and played by Dennis Fahy and his band. I know Andy Walmsly has a copy if he is reading and could put one up on this thread. thanks Andy in advance
  • Options
    BazzieBazzie Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you heard Late Night Extra, a true great amongst theme tunes, I think it was composed and played by Dennis Fahy and his band. I know Andy Walmsly has a copy if he is reading and could put one up on this thread. thanks Andy in advance

If you don't mind a bit of Parky speaking over it:

https://audioboom.com/boos/1504957-michael-parkinson-late-night-extra#t=1m40s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was usually in bed when that was on, but will check it out. Also good are the two themes John Dunn used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this page for all the classic Radio 2 themes:
    http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio2/theme_tunes.htm
  • Options
    Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As requested, Late Night Extra, sans Parky. The composer was Brian Fahey of At the Sign of the Swinging Cymbal fame and for many years conductor of the BBC Scottish Radio Orchestra.

https://soundcloud.com/radiojottings/late-night-extra
  • Options
    Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I was usually in bed when that was on, but will check it out. Also good are the two themes John Dunn used.

And here are those two John Dunn themes in use back in 1984:

https://soundcloud.com/radiojottings/john-dunn-1984
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's great. Thanks for posting those.
  • Options
    Paul MarksPaul Marks Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Hi

has anyone got The Client Out to Lunch - the Theme for RadioActive please ?

Thanks
    Paul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The strains of Central Park Parade followed by the Sports Desk at 6.45. Actually elements of the Sports Desk survive with sports presenters used on Steve Wright and Simon Mayo.