Options

Hi de Hi

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit of fibbing [ well, blatant lying actually ] re an actress's DOB seems to be still prevalent in showbiz these days.

A showbizzy age dahling, and an official age. :kitty:

How this deliberate discrepancy is explained when applying for a Passport or a Driving Licence I don't know

It's the same with names, we hear of some ridiculous names some show business people call their kids, I always wonder what actually goes on the birth certificate.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Johnny Briggs (Corrie's Mike Baldwin) saying he and Elizabeth Taylor were at drama school together and she was older than him. That was until she became famous and was suddenly younger than him.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I'd never actually seen the final episode, or the one where Gladys and Clive got married. The show had reached the end of the line, probably should have ended earlier, but it was a moving finale.

I agree. They manage to make it very affecting, I thought. The pathos wasn't overdone.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit of fibbing [ well, blatant lying actually ] re an actress's DOB seems to be still prevalent in showbiz these days.

A showbizzy age dahling, and an official age. :kitty:

How this deliberate discrepancy is explained when applying for a Passport or a Driving Licence I don't know

Those will often be in the real name, not the stage name. But it is usually fairly easy to check ages with the BMD index being available online or even by just going into the library to check.

One problem is that it can be difficult to get Wonkypedia corrected. I once looked up a famous singer's age and tried to correct on Winkypedia but it kept being changed back because they only accept references to non-subscription online sources.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I did laugh when Peggy was in the hospital bed and she put her hand on Spike's face and pronounced "Yvonne".
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That has to rank as one of the best endings for a British sitcom, with a proper definitive and emotional ending.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fact about the ending. The actual holiday camp they used at Dovercourt was destroyed in the Hurricane of 1987. It never reopened and was demolished for housing.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi de Hi is on the telly again I see.
    Why are the outside scenes of such grainy quality? Were they shot on 16mm film, and what about inside?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are the outside scenes of such grainy quality? Were they shot on 16mm film, and what about inside?
    Which of the hundreds of available channels was that on?
  • Options
    closedbookclosedbook Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Which of the hundreds of available channels was that on?

BBC2 in the afternoons at 2pm all week.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    closedbook wrote: »
    BBC2 in the afternoons at 2pm all week.

Or you can watch them almost all of them on YouTube. I think there's only the odd one missing and the quality is really good, plus they play in order.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The outside scenes are usually pretty dull and grey (haven't noticed grainy) but the cast did say that they used to freeze wearing shorts etc and being in the pool water as it was filmed on a real holiday camp when it was closed out of season so rather grey and gloomy.
  • Options
    Peppermint_teaPeppermint_tea Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Apologies for bumping a pretty old thread but I enjoyed Hi de Hi as a kid when it was first on and have been very much enjoying the repeats on Gold and Drama. I can now fully appreciate what an excellent sitcom it is.

Great mix of characters, very well acted, plenty of pathos too. I don't think the Dempster era is quite as good as the Fairbrother one but 9 series is a good run by any standards.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for bumping a pretty old thread but I enjoyed Hi de Hi as a kid when it was first on and have been very much enjoying the repeats on Gold and Drama. I can now fully appreciate what an excellent sitcom it is.

Great mix of characters, very well acted, plenty of pathos too. I don't think the Dempster era is quite as good as the Fairbrother one but 9 series is a good run by any standards.

I love hi de hi. I'll happily watch it anytime I see it on.
    I do find it amusing how formally folk are dressed (and I know its accurate). Going on holiday to sit abd relax in a three piece suit. Its comical.
    Felix bowness is appalling.

Why did Barry leave? It seemed very sudden. He abd yvonne are my favourites.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It tailed off in later years when some of the characters left, but the first four series were hilarious. I always liked the drunken, obnoxious Punch and Judy man the most.
  • Options
    briggsy1briggsy1 Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have Drama dropped their repeats and replaced it with As Time Goes By? Maybe as a tribute to Geoffrey Palmer, but then they could at least have finished the run all the way to the end first.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I do find it amusing how formally folk are dressed (and I know its accurate). Going on holiday to sit abd relax in a three piece suit. Its comical.

Barry Howard had a drink problem at the time. I have to say Barry and Yvonne are among my favourites too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/12/20 - 10:47 #419

Barry Howard had a drink problem at the time. I have to say Barry and Yvonne are among my favourites too.

Don't hold your knife like a pen Barry.
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come away, Barry.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    One problem is that it can be difficult to get Wikipedia corrected. I once looked up a famous singer's age and tried to correct on Wikipedia but it kept being changed back because they only accept references to non-subscription online sources.

This is untrue.

Here is the relevant page.

Sources can be off line and it does not mention non-subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youd wonder what on earth Barry and Yvonne were doing working there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme gets at effective reboot half way through when Jeffrey (Simon Cadell) leaves and both Tracy and Betty are replaced by new female yellowcoats. Following that Mr. Partridge the punch and judy man is found dead in the swimming pool (due to Leslie Dwyer's death in real life at the end of 1986). Like with 'Allo 'Allo the replacements were never quite as good to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    briggsy1 wrote: »
    The programme gets at effective reboot half way through when Jeffrey (Simon Cadell) leaves and both Tracy and Betty are replaced by new female yellowcoats. Following that Mr. Partridge the punch and judy man is found dead in the swimming pool (due to Leslie Dwyer's death in real life at the end of 1986). Like with 'Allo 'Allo the replacements were never quite as good to me.

Didn't mr partridge fake his death? The female yellowcoats seemed to change fairly regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    briggsy1 wrote: »

Didn't mr partridge fake his death? The female yellowcoats seemed to change fairly regularly.

Series 1-5 are 1959, 6-9 are 1960. It was effectively two seasons at Maplins with the changes that come with it. A neat way of writing big cast changes into the script.

My understanding is that a lot of the chopping and changing with the yellowcoats was that the actresses left to take other offers of work, partly because they didn't have particularly big roles. I have read that Penny Irving didn't enjoy doing it but the rest appear to have left on good terms, have attended reunions etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if you're getting your comedy shows crossed Peppermint Tea. According to imdb, Penny Irving was in Are You Being Served? rather than Hi-de-Hi.