The John and Edward Appreciation Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Eurovision is a song competition, but in reality it's so much more than that. The standout entrants aren't just ones with good songs - they also have good choreography, camera interaction, costumes and overall stage presence. The Jeds excel in those areas, so what the song lacks may more than be made up for in other areas.
    Yeah it's like we always say "If Lipstick was sung by anyone else, it wouldn't have qualified for the final". This time it'll be more difficult for them as surprising Europe won't be that "easy", but we know they can do it.
    no1clothes wrote: »
    As we are coming clean about our true feelings on Waterline, I'd like to add that I love the song, but don't like the current choreography and outfits.

I think the jerky movements don't suit the song, although they do some smoother moves towards the end. And the flamenco dancing robocop outfits seem unflattering on them to me.
    I agree about both. I love the slow part when they're looking at the ceiling camera, but I don't like when the tempo speeds up again and they start cartwheeling... I hope they are planning something big for that part of the song, something different.

And about the costumes, omg I laughed so hard at the "flamenco dancing robocop outfits" :D What I don't like about those costumes are the sleeves, the rest of the outfit looks fine to me, I love the fake-boots and the colour fits them perfectly. Anyway I'm sure they'll get new costumes for Eurovision... the little divas :cool:
    pithywitch wrote: »
    I like Waterline, too... much more than Lipstick. But when I compare it to other songs in the competition, it just doesn't 'click' yet.
    I think I know what you mean. For me Waterline is a grower and some other songs of the contest are really the opposite. For example, I've listened to Waterline or the Denmark entry hundreds of times and I still love them, however I've listened to Cyprus' La La Love a few times as well and I'm starting to hate it :o But I liked it a lot the first times, and that's what really matters in Eurovision.
    As you say, it'll probably "click" when they're rehearsing the definite performance in Baku, as happened last year with Lisptick.
    MarcPaulB wrote: »
    Schehera - with the best will in the world - the twins cannot go out on a massive stage such as eurovision and sing on their own without backing singers - especially when they are so active on the stage. Just because they sing a few lines acappella to fans from time to time doesn't mean that's how they'd sound when doing cartwheels, etc.

The backing singers are professionals you know - not just some randomers who've been dragged in off the street. They CAN sing and I thought they complemented the twins' voices well. Yes, I can honestly say I was not shocked by their performance.
    I totally agree with Marc. When the twins' voices sound better is when they're calm and still, and that's not going to happen in Eurovision, their energy is a good part of their appeal and it's definitely what helped them last year to get into the top10. I prefer them going crazy with backing singers helping them, than sounding fine just the two of them but glued to a spot in the stage (like in Monsoon for example).
    Not a lot of artists get to dance+sing perfectly in tune, and in Eurovision that's really obvious. I'm really curious to see for example, Cyprus performance. We've listened to her live (when she wasn't moving at all) and she really sounded out of tune.

wow that was a long post :o
  • ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that the background singer are profs. But for my opinion their voice don´t fit to the voice of J&E but maybe it is really the mixing. J&E had background singer on the show in Balearus but there all together did sound really good
    And I know they can sing, they did show it already on x-factor(Under Pressure/I´m your man..) but I hope that they will have time for some vocal lessons for waterline that they will sound better in Baku
    And yes I prefer when they sing live on their own without background singer but I know that the ESC stage will be probably to huge for it. Nevertheless I will vote for them non stop because I will suport them always and they make me happy and they deserve to win
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We know the performance is going to be super-different in Eurovision, but I'm optimist this morning and I'd like to point out the brutal improvement of Lipstick last year:
    - February: Lipstick in Eurosong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_NZrK9MtS0 (100% live)
    - March: Lipstick in OK!TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5maJLCifx8Y (live over the recorded track)
    - Last week of April: The Late Late Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWRa_xtlSM (live over the recorded track)
    - First week of May: Eurovision first rehearsal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHD2USu5Yp4 (100% live)
    - Second week of May: Eurovision dress rehearsal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdVsY6AFhE (100% live)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    The boys have jsut tweeted:

OUR DEBUT INTERNATIONAL! NEW SINGLE WATERLINE OUT APRIL 9TH

I assume that means its going to be available all over the world.. :cool:

Definitely. I'm going to purchase a sleeping bag today so I'll be ready to camp-out in front of the store here in Florida.... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://youtu.be/m4G4uXoW7sI new JEDWARD TV video .Videos like this show me and remember me why I love them so much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely. I'm going to purchase a sleeping bag today so I'll be ready to camp-out in front of the store here in Florida.... :p
    hahaha there's no need, as their management facebook says:
    S'up guy’s!
    From April 9th all you jepic Jedward fans around the world will be able to download your very own copy of the boys jawesome new single 'WATERLINE'.... 29 DAYS & COUNTING!!!!

Schehera wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/m4G4uXoW7sI new JEDWARD TV video .Videos like this show me and remember me why I love them so much
    This video made my morning. It's just brilliant!
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hahaha there's no need, as their management facebook says:
    S'up guy’s!
    From April 9th all you jepic Jedward fans around the world will be able to download your very own copy of the boys jawesome new single 'WATERLINE'.... 29 DAYS & COUNTING!!!!

This video made my morning. It's just brilliant!

What is it with UMI not putting out physical CDs when fans are telling them over and over this is what we want...its crazy..

The video is brilliant...the twins are just amazing ..I love them so much :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own read on LIpstick vs Waterline is that they've come back with a weaker, less instant song but one that could win them more votes.

The problem with Lipstick is that a large number of countries simply failed to vote for it. The team obviously felt if they returned with a similar song, it would get a similar result. But it seems most people who are blasting Waterline on Youtube (apart from the ones who hate Jedward themselves) wanted Lipstick Part 2.

I can totally see where the team are coming from on this....it's a gamble to change the sound, but they obviously reckon that finishing 8th again with Lipstick Part 2 would be a bit pointless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with UMI not putting out physical CDs when fans are telling them over and over this is what we want...its crazy..

No physical release? oh-nooooooooo... maybe UMI simply wants to put it on the album. If so, fine... I just hope there are a lot of signings scheduled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Waterline, too... much more than Lipstick. But when I compare it to other songs in the competition, it just doesn't 'click' yet.

Yes, but look at how much help the likes of Tooji and Loreen received in the their national finals. Euphoria was staged so perfectly by Swedish TV on Saturday that it is nearly going to be impossible to replicate that in Eurovision in May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No physical release? oh-nooooooooo... maybe UMI simply wants to put it on the album. If so, fine... I just hope there are a lot of signings scheduled.

I'm pretty sure Waterline will be released on CD. The Irish Eurovision entry nearly always gets a CD release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a nice little poll we can all vote on :) We haven't had one for a while :D

http://eurovision7.blogspot.com/p/sondeo-2012.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Waterline will be released on CD. The Irish Eurovision entry nearly always gets a CD release.

Its coming out in Ireland on Friday as a Physical release, but UMI are saying ATM internationally as a download only...I've asked them numerous times if its there will be a CD and they haven't answered me, although they do answer other question :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My own read on LIpstick vs Waterline is that they've come back with a weaker, less instant song but one that could win them more votes.

The problem with Lipstick is that a large number of countries simply failed to vote for it. The team obviously felt if they returned with a similar song, it would get a similar result. But it seems most people who are blasting Waterline on Youtube (apart from the ones who hate Jedward themselves) wanted Lipstick Part 2.

I can totally see where the team are coming from on this....it's a gamble to change the sound, but they obviously reckon that finishing 8th again with Lipstick Part 2 would be a bit pointless.

They would finish better with Lipstick 2 this year because Jedward have now fans who will now vote non stop for them(and not only once or twice) + people (who were not fans at ESC but are now fans like I ) would vote for them too . I fear that they lose the votes from people who like to have something special. Fans will vote for them but you don´t know if the other people will vote also this year (which did vote last year) for this song.
    I hope that Linda made the right decision because when J&E don´t make it to the final and don´t finish there on a good place J&E will get the blame and nobody else
    (this is only my opinion)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its coming out in Ireland on Friday as a Physical release, but UMI are saying ATM internationally as a download only...I've asked them numerous times if its there will be a CD and they haven't answered me, although they do answer other question :confused:

Possibly because they don't know themselves Rosemary. I wouldn't rule out a CD release for Europe though, certainly not in places like Sweden and Germany.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    They would finish better with Lipstick 2 this year because Jedward have now fans who will vote non stop for them + people (who were not fans at ESC but are now fans like I ) would vote for them too . I fear that they lose the votes from people who like to have something special. Fans will vote for them but you don´t know if the other people will vote also this year (which did vote last year) for this song

Well that's where the gamble is Schehera. The team could easily have come back with a typical Jedward song, but it looks like they made a conscious decision not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly because they don't know themselves Rosemary. I wouldn't rule out a CD release for Europe though, certainly not in places like Sweden and Germany.

I hope we get it in the UK too...I don't mind downloading, but I do like to have a physical copy too :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a nice little poll we can all vote on :) We haven't had one for a while :D

http://eurovision7.blogspot.com/p/sondeo-2012.html

Love when you help us with Spanish polls :cool:

About the phisycal release of Waterline, it's a clever move not to do it now if they release the third album shortly after Eurovision in countries like Germany or Sweden. It's amazing the amount of people who buy albums because they like one song (I've done it in the past).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love when you help us with Spanish polls :cool:

About the phisycal release of Waterline, it's a clever move not to do it now if they release the third album shortly after Eurovision in countries like Germany or Sweden. It's amazing the amount of people who buy albums because they like one song (I've done it in the past).

Also, they clearly have European promo lined up for the next few weeks, so it makes sense to release it afterwards, not before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Guys don't worry about Waterline vs Lipstick. Lipstick got zero points from many countries, probably because they found it too gimmicky/not serious. Let's remember that the winning song last year was nothing special at all...a boring song actually. Yet it won.

The boys sing waterline really well and it's likely to get votes from other countries because its "a real song" to quote one of the Eurosong panelists.

I'm gonna trust the twins on this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The boys have just commented on the RTE video with "we love our fans" causing the nasty comments to be knocked down by loads of "we love you too" ones ;)

I have looked at some of the profiles of some of the worst comments and it seems a lot of people have joined Youtube very recently purely for the purpose of putting a nasty comment on that video, they've no history at all...quite interesting I thought ;)
  • MarcPaulBMarcPaulB Posts: 4,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Jedward TV video is so funny.....I love that they can send themselves up like that.

Re Waterline vs Lipstick. Let's not forget that yes, fans' votes are important - but they won't do well with fans' votes alone. The song's got to have more widespread appeal to neutrals, which I think Waterline does, and....it's got to appeal to the juries!! Juries will be aware of what the twins did last year, I'm sure, and they're not gonna vote for a Lipstick mk2 - in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys don't worry about Waterline vs Lipstick. Lipstick got zero points from many countries, probably because they found it too gimmicky/not serious. Let's remember that the winning song last year was nothing special at all...a boring song actually. Yet it won.

The boys sing waterline really well and it's likely to get votes from other countries because its "a real song" to quote one of the Eurosong panelists.

I'm gonna trust the twins on this one.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that ANY song the twins would have returned with would have been compared very unfavourably to Lipstick (which probably is their best ever song). So if they had turned up in Baku with Bad Behaviour or Wow Oh Wow, their two most recent singles, we'd probably be seeing the same reaction on Youtube.

Waterline being blander than Lipstick doesn't really tell us anything about it's prospects in Eurovision. Lipstick was a brilliant and commercial pop song but also a bit of love / hate entry as far as the Eurovision voters went.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The boys have just commented on the RTE video with "we love our fans" causing the nasty comments to be knocked down by loads of "we love you too" ones ;)

I have looked at some of the profiles of some of the worst comments and it seems a lot of people have joined Youtube very recently purely for the purpose of putting a nasty comment on that video, they've no history at all...quite interesting I thought ;)

I must admit that did cross my mind and some of the comments were so similar I wondered if someone had been sad enough to set up a number of accounts just for that purpose ;)
  • OG48OG48 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was made by a fan sometime ago, the boys saw it and made their own :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zow9kE28WYA&feature=youtu.be
This discussion has been closed.