EE4G- 3G To 4G Data Handover Issue

2»

Comments

• coolmp3coolmp3 Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I doubt anyone cares about the fact it's 3G or 4G or whatever as long as they can get the service they want from their mobile.

What this thread has highlighted is the snobbery issue when the wrong indicator shows despite the streaming radio station keeps playing when a customer pays more for a supposedly 'faster quality' of service that isn't really needed for the application described.

No i used streaming radio as an example, it applies to any continuous data stream being that downloading a large file or streaming video. If i can stream HD on 4G but move to a heavily congested 3G area and the stream adapts to the bandwidth restrictions the picture degrades/becomes blocky. It will not recover on 4G until the stream is stopped. No snobbyness, its receiving a service you subscribe too.

I have just raised a possible flaw in current LTE/network tech which people are not aware of which would be nice to know before you subscribe to an LTE service depending on your usage habits.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolmp3 wrote: »
    No i used streaming radio as an example, it applies to any continuous data stream being that downloading a large file or streaming video..

Downloading a file would not make any difference other than the time it took to complete the transfer and that would likely be minimal for apps etc. Large or small files make no difference as the download is packet based with error correction.

Streaming video needs 3 Mbps for HD on BBC iPlayer or YouTube and 3G can deliver that with ease in most places.

I still smell tech snobbery...... big time.

Realised that the mobile network charges are more than they are worth maybe after signing the contract?
    Forum Member
    Downloading a file would not make any difference other than the time it took to complete the transfer and that would likely be minimal for apps etc. Large or small files make no difference as the download is packet based with error correction.

Streaming video needs 3 Mbps for HD on BBC iPlayer or YouTube and 3G can deliver that with ease in most places.

I still smell tech snobbery...... big time.

Realised that the mobile network charges are more than they are worth maybe after signing the contract?

A large file download would make no difference between a congested 3G cell and a 4G one???????? 1 is downloading at 0.8Mps and the other 20Mbps!!! Trying getting a consistent 3 Mbps in London no chance.

Nope i have no regrets signing my deal, its an excellent deal! 16GB 4G for £33.60 a month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A large file download would make no difference between a congested 3G cell and a 4G one???????? 1 is downloading at 0.8Mps and the other 20Mbps!!! Trying getting a consistent 3 Mbps in London no chance.

Nope i have no regrets signing my deal, its an excellent deal! 16GB 4G for £33.60 a month.

Have a look at what some are getting from 3 on 3G..... 20Mbps is not uncommon in some areas.

I get 4-6 Mbps on 3G from Vodafone on 3G consistently in Glasgow and for mobile use that is perfectly acceptable for all of the stuff I want. I don't have to pay Vodafone £33 a month for that!

I still smell snobbery!
    Forum Member
    Have a look at what some are getting from 3 on 3G..... 20Mbps is not uncommon in some areas.

I get 4-6 Mbps on 3G from Vodafone on 3G consistently in Glasgow and for mobile use that is perfectly acceptable for all of the stuff I want. I don't have to pay Vodafone £33 a month for that!

I still smell snobbery!

Where's the proof to backup your claims? And you said it "what you. Want" not me. I will no longer contribute to this thread as its just been completed sidetracked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the proof to backup your claims? And you said it "what you. Want" not me. I will no longer contribute to this thread as its just been completed sidetracked.

Good as nobody seems to be sympathetic.

Snobbery seems to have been the issue plain and simple!
    Forum Member
    Good as nobody seems to be sympathetic.

Snobbery seems to have been the issue plain and simple!

Proof???? Don't make claims without proof!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proof???? Don't make claims without proof!

The proof is in the OP....

And others made subsequently.....like "deep down i ask why am i paying for 4G and being put on the same network as the lower paying 3G customers when i could be 4G."

If that's not snobbery - what is?

Stop digging a bigger hole!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plymouthbloke - is this correct then, once you get dropped to 3G the phone won't attempt to look for a 4G signal again if something is actively using the connection. Do you know if that will be the same for other implementations or any more about it?
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Plymouthbloke - is this correct then, once you get dropped to 3G the phone won't attempt to look for a 4G signal again if something is actively using the connection. Do you know if that will be the same for other implementations or any more about it?

I'll be honest... This is the first I've heard of it....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Seriously Wavejock give it a rest! You don't need to mention the word snobbery in every single one of your posts. If people pay for a service they expect to get, end of.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I think this is by design. The network can only switch one way with an active connection.
    Going by the Plympton mast this week so I'll test it.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Yes I think I'm going to try testing this out more too. I've only witnessed it like 3 times, didn't think much of it. However it would be a pain the ass if it did this because large up loads are my thing... 2-3 Mbps is far slower than 20-25mbps! Nowt to do with snobbery.

However I do feel a bit dirty when I make a call and have to use that peasant 3G service.
    I wash my phone everytime it switches to 2G......
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting to see if others experience the same in different areas and handsets.

On a side note does anyone notice there data usage on the MYEE app fluctuates? One minute it's says I have userd 925mb so far then 10 minutes later it says I have used 456mb.
    Strange....
    Forum Member
    Yes I think I'm going to try testing this out more too. I've only witnessed it like 3 times, didn't think much of it. However it would be a pain the ass if it did this because large up loads are my thing... 2-3 Mbps is far slower than 20-25mbps! Nowt to do with snobbery.

However I do feel a bit dirty when I make a call and have to use that peasant 3G service.
    I wash my phone everytime it switches to 2G......
    :):):)
    Forum Member
    Tested it tonight and it does appear to be the case. LTE to 3G ok. 3G to LTE a no go.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I don't see it as a big deal to be honest. Once coverage hits 98% next year it'll be fine.
    Forum Member
    Yes. Correct. LTE coverage will nearly always be better than 3G. In most cases 3G will be purely for CSFB.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Yeah tried it out. Takes a brief halt of data traffic and it switches back up. Confirmed again with my American friend it does this over there too.
    Forum Member
    It's not just my iphone then. Like you say it won't be an issue when the coverage holes get filled. Just a bit surprised its not capable of swapping back mid data session.