Is Galaxy Nexus still the best Android phone?

StilianStilian Posts: 150
Forum Member
I know the Google Galaxy Nexus has been on the market for quite some time but I think it is still among the best in class. I myself am using the Nexus and I am very pleased with its performance. Of course now there are phones with faster processors, better cameras and other stuff but I think if we consider these devices only as capable phones rather than small computers you will agree the Nexus does the job best - fast, responsive, great screen, good battery... I have tried plenty of the new devices out there (not all though) and even though some of them are pretty good I don't think they are worth upgrading over the Galaxy Nexus.
I'd be glad if any of you shares a different point of view that I might have missed. Thanks

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Not sure I would say the Nexus was the best android phone even when released to be honest. Depends what you are looking I suppose .... certainly the best value phone there is without doubt.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best value Android phone right now is the Nexus 4 direct from google. Yes it's discounted but its great value and definately worth £280.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I think value is the key point when buying mobile devices of all kinds and there is one big reason for that - the need of upgrading them with the new more recent models :) I myself am not buying this cheap marketing trick too often, I get new stuff only when and if I need it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a interesting question - which I have been thinking about too as I have the Galaxy Nexus.

Honestly I dont have a reason to upgrade as I am perfectly happy with the GNEX. If you dont have a GNEX then the obvious choice is the nexus 4 which is nice but I will wait and see what happens at Google I/O before going for an upgrade.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Heard the 5 is round the corner, if not its an offering from Moto that many are waiting for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    The best value Android phone right now is the Nexus 4 direct from google. Yes it's discounted but its great value and definately worth £280.

And available again , just ordered one to replace my iPhone 5 that I have only had for 2 weeks ....
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Not sure I would say the Nexus was the best android phone even when released to be honest. Depends what you are looking I suppose .... certainly the best value phone there is without doubt.

This.

I have a galaxy nexus and love it. I chose it at the time for a number of reasons but not because it had the fastest chip or most mp camera ....... Because it didn't.

There is never a best phone..... Just a best phone for you ;)
  • AdamClelandAdamCleland Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't write off Samsung's offerings when discussing what the 'best' phone is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    You can't write off Samsung's offerings when discussing what the 'best' phone is.

agree there , the big reason i didnt go for a s3 against an n4 was the colour choices of the s3 , i mean come on , pebble blue :eek:
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    agree there , the big reason i didnt go for a s3 against an n4 was the colour choices of the s3 , i mean come on , pebble blue :eek:

yep.... call me old fashioned or dull but i want my phones black or grey :p
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pedantic head on, No the GNexus is not the best An droid phone, only the second best now the n4 is out. That because all the rothers ane not An droid they are touchwiz, sense etc. Back in reality however, as much as I love my GNexus it is showing it's age now and I will get a N4 as soon as the custom ROM scene hots up. Hopefully the devs will be able to get there hands on them and start working their magic.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Nexus 4 IS the best Android phone experience wise. It has the perfect balance of software and hardware.
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think the Nexus 4 IS the best Android phone experience wise. It has the perfect balance of software and hardware.

Honestly, no matter how good it is on paper I don't think I can trust LG smartphone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stilian wrote: »
    Honestly, no matter how good it is on paper I don't think I can trust LG smartphone.

It's very good. Google has designed the smartphone in partnership with LG so it's different to standard LG devices. I have a Nexus 4 and I think it truly is the current Android flagship. Can't believe how far things have come since I had the Nexus One.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have 2 LG LCD TV's and they have been performed well. One is over 5 years old and still going strong.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried plenty of the new devices out there (not all though) and even though some of them are pretty good I don't think they are worth upgrading over the Galaxy Nexus.
    I think you're asking two very different questions here - "is the Galaxy Nexus the best Android phone?" and "is any phone worth upgrading to from a Galaxy Nexus?".

To the first, the answer is clearly no - considering both it and the Nexus 4 are running exactly the same software and the Nexus 4 is largely the same price but has better hardware (camera, processor, screen resolution), it's hard to argue that it's not a better phone. To the second, well, that's a subjective decision. The difference between the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 4 isn't enough, really, to warrant an upgrade if the Nexus 4 was priced "correctly" (ie. in the region of £500, as the Galaxy Nexus was initially) - certainly, if it was that price, I'd have stuck with the Galaxy Nexus. However, at discounted price, it was still worth upgrading (for me) to the Nexus 4 despite the somewhat incremental improvements in hardware. For others, it may not be...
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2 LG LCD TV's and they have been performed well. One is over 5 years old and still going strong.
    Their phones are a very different proposition.

They have a justified reputation for unreliability and shoddy software updates. Also, until relatively recently the bulk of their offerings were budget models.
    That and there's other little touches like only offering a 12 month warranty which count against them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Their phones are a very different proposition.

They have a justified reputation for unreliability and shoddy software updates. Also, until relatively recently the bulk of their offerings were budget models.
    That and there's other little touches like only offering a 12 month warranty which count against them.

That doesn't apply here as Google controls the updates for the Nexus 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking generally.

Certainly being a Nexus device addresses one of LG's issues but the rest still apply - I've seen quite a bit of anecdotal evidence about mediocre battery life, significant over-heating and other issues and you're still stuck with just a 12 month warranty which is all but unforgivable nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    I was talking generally.

Certainly being a Nexus device addresses one of LG's issues but the rest still apply - I've seen quite a bit of anecdotal evidence about mediocre battery life, significant over-heating and other issues and you're still stuck with just a 12 month warranty which is all but unforgivable nowadays.

They don't sound like widespread issues, I've had good experiences with LG stuff in the past, those issues seem specific to certain models. The Nexus 4 seems well made, and I think the partnership has been good for LG in the long run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't sound like widespread issues, I've had good experiences with LG stuff in the past, those issues seem specific to certain models.
    With the Nexus4 maybe not, it's just a few things I've stumbled across but generally, yes, there are a lot of issues.
    It's not just the odd model or two, they have had quite widespread reliability issues which is in part why their handsets are quite difficult to come by in the UK. I'm pretty certain some of the UK networks don't sell them any more.

The Nexus 4 seems well made, and I think the partnership has been good for LG in the long run.
    They definitely seem to be stepping up their game and I believe that the models they've sold in the US the past couple of years have generally been better than the ones over here.
    But as other posters have said, I would be wary of LG still - the Nexus4 was the first LG handset in a long time that I looked twice at but limitations of the device as well as supply issues have lead me to hold off for the new range of Android handsets that will be reaching the market soon.
    Forum Member
    Sorry LG lovers but LG phones are sh**t (unlike most of their TVs), I have no doubts about that.
    So as a conclusion we can all agree that the Galaxy Nexus is by far the best Android device ever made... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry LG lovers but LG phones are sh**t (unlike most of their TVs), I have no doubts about that.
    So as a conclusion we can all agree that the Galaxy Nexus is by far the best Android device ever made... :)

I've had a Galaxy Nexus and I have a Nexus 4 right now and the latter is better, so no.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

You have no doubt about that?

In fact, i think from personal experience that its their TV's which are pish.

No, we cant all agree with that. I have the N4, no battery issues, no build quality issues and so far its superb.
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have obviously become used the the eye strain then:D