Forum Member
    It jarred as Brave heart always was a 5th doctor thing
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Yes, straight away. :D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spotted it straight away and a nice bit of homage to a companion who first appeared in 1981. Shame the rest of the episode wasn't very good.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It jarred as Brave heart always was a 5th doctor thing

He also said it to Canton in TIA if I remember correctly.

I liked it where he told Clara about getting her back to Heathrow and not being able to give her a decent reason why lol
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    He also said it to Canton in TIA if I remember correctly.

I liked it where he told Clara about getting her back to Heathrow and not being able to give her a decent reason why lol

It wasn't Clara he was talking about getting back to heathrow, but someone else
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't Clara he was talking about getting back to heathrow, but someone else

The "mouthy Australian" in question was Tegan
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    He could have also commented her MG wouldn't start.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, couldn't really miss it. Tegan was a really good companion.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Loved the Tegan reference. Actually I have enjoyed all the references to the classic series in series 7B.

The Bells of St John - The Great Intelligence
    The Rings of Akhaten - Susan
    Cold War - the Ice Warriors
    Hide - Metebelis 3
    JTTCOTT - The Eye of Harmony
    The Crimson Horror - The gobby Australian. :D

Reminds me of season 20 of the classic series where each story featured something from the show's past in the build up to The Five Doctors.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

He actually said 'gobby Australian' which I thought was a little disrespectful. You wouldn't hear him talking about Rose or Sarah Jane like that, and Tegan travelled with him for just as much time.
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    He actually said 'gobby Australian' which I thought was a little disrespectful. You wouldn't hear him talking about Rose or Sarah Jane like that, and Tegan travelled with him for just as much time.

I actually took it as more of an affectionate dig. After all she was 'gobby' and you could see the Fifth Doctor getting exasperated by her at times. But he none the less cared about her.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    I actually took it as more of an affectionate dig. After all she was 'gobby' and you could see the Fifth Doctor getting exasperated by her at times. But he none the less cared about her.

Possibly. I guess it could go either way. I'd have liked him to have said something with a bit more obvious affection, though. I imagine Janet Fielding would have found it hilarious, though.
    Forum Member
    Possibly. I guess it could go either way. I'd have liked him to have said something with a bit more obvious affection, though. I imagine Janet Fielding would have found it hilarious, though.

That's what I was thinking. :D
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the Tegan reference. Actually I have enjoyed all the references to the classic series in series 7B.

Hide - Metebelis 3

Reminds me of season 20 of the classic series where each story featured something from the show's past in the build up to The Five Doctors.

All the references so far are related to the first 5 Doctors, so theoretically there is going to be a 6th Doctor reference in next week's episode and a 7th Doctor reference in the finale.

Which only leaves an 8th Doctor reference for the 50th anniversary episode, or better still an appearance by Paul McGann. ;)
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gobby Australian describes Tegan to perfection, it had my giggling on the sofa, SWMBO didn't get it, and had to have the joke explained.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

she would probably have said "a gobby Australian with a rat nailed on her head"

(extra for "The Visitation")
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was a nice reference... more of a nasty one :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I always assumed that when the doctor regenerated he didn't seem to have the same relationship with his companions, apart from Rose and Sarah Jane. He also had good rapport with the Brigadier but Dr 5 didn't seem too bothered to see Susan in the 5 doctors, and the 5th Dr was not too keen on Adric.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed that when the doctor regenerated he didn't seem to have the same relationship with his companions, apart from Rose and Sarah Jane. He also had good rapport with the Brigadier but Dr 5 didn't seem too bothered to see Susan in the 5 doctors, and the 5th Dr was not too keen on Adric.

I think Dr 5 was quite cut up that Adric faceplanted a planet.

Dr's 5 and 6 both seemed to get on well with Peri (after she forgave 6 for trying to kill her in his first story)
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the references so far are related to the first 5 Doctors, so theoretically there is going to be a 6th Doctor reference in next week's episode and a 7th Doctor reference in the finale.

Which only leaves an 8th Doctor reference for the 50th anniversary episode, or better still an appearance by Paul McGann. ;)

Well it is cybermen so maybe a reference to AOTC
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hide - Metebelis 3

Well it is cybermen so maybe a reference to AOTC

Or maybe a remark about Melanie Bush. If he was far from complimentary about Tegan, what would he say about Mel? ;)
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Carrots?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure the 4th Doctor was always that keen on Adric.