Options

Home made tarka dhal - need some ideas

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have made this a few times now and its nice.

But my problem is I tend to make things differently each time I make them and dont keep track of what Ive done.

Anyway, today's is waiting for us to eat it for dinner. I made it with yellow split peas which I understand are Toor dahl (or is that Chana dhal?).

The other day I made it with red lentils.

Today I did the proper spicy oil thing and poured it over the top but it didnt seem to taste as strong as the other day. I might throw some more spices in when we eat it for dinner.

So do you make tarka dhal and if so what lentils do you use and what spices?

Comments

• Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very unlikely to be a proper tarka dall but it's what I do and like.

I use Toor dall (either rinsed oily Toor or the unoiled stuff). Boil that till tender with some turmeric, salt and fresh ginger. When it's cooked I drain and remove the ginger then mash it with a potato masher a bit just to break it down slightly.

I then make a tarka with fried onions (well fried sliced oniohs so they are nice and caramelised), add some garlic then spices (cumin, coriander and a bit of chilli or garam masala and chilli). When the spices are cooked but not burnt I add some chopped tomatoes and fry them out so the oil rises to the top. Then I add that to my lentils (which I normally make a bit more liquid with some of the water I boiled them in) and stir.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm, lovely. I've never made this but i think i will be :).
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make it with mixed lentils - masoor -- moong - toor and urad. (equal parts of each)
    Onions, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric , a stock cube and garam masala.and sprinkled with fresh coriander when it is ready.

My Indian friend told me never to leave out Asafoetida (Hing) powder - smells awful but you only need about 1/2 tsp.

I also add spinach to mine.

This is where a pressure cooker comes into its own - only takes 15 mins and does not need watching especially if you have an electric one - they are brilliant.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make it exactly like the Indian takeaways do it and simply use standard orange split lentils, you need plenty garlic fresh coriander and ground fenugreek
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you get moong dal from? I cant find it in supermarkets
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Where do you get moong dal from? I cant find it in supermarkets

Amazon sells it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon sells it.

Thanks, seems very expensive there though. I looked at H+B and they dont seem to sell it there either.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a local Indian grocery shop?

I have bought it in Asda but it is an area where lots of Asian people live so they sell all sorts of lentils, beans and spices etc.
    In the Asda where my son lives he has trouble getting spices so it does depend on the area you live in.

Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons - http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/snacks/haldirams_masala_moong_dal_200g.html