Options

I challenge anyone to read this and NOT cry!!! Sad Story....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a way the poem helps me justify a decision I made a very long time ago. In those days the quartine laws and conditions were extremely harsh, and we had a difficult decision to make when we had to return to England with only a few days notice.

It was not an option to leave Rezzy (rexxy???) there, it was not an option to take her with us. We had to have her ("him"???), shot (it was along time ago, and there was no medical people at hand).

Poor thing was less than a year old:cry:. It comforts me that she/he did not end up like the dog in the OP.

Perhaps this is why people have there animals killed when they die or move into a nursing home. A long peacful sleep is better than a lifetime of feelingthe pain of betrayl.

To all those animals we had to "let go":(
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zigesa wrote: »
    Well I have to say that I agree with the posters who found it sad. I think we have to forget that it is written in the eyes of the dog for a minute here and look at it from the prospective that this does happen in real life. There are thousands and thousands of dogs who are taken to shelters etc because there they are no longer wanted. Who can honestly say that they don't feel like the OP has written? Obviously not like a human would feel, as is written, but they are going to feel bewildered and confused and lonely when they are taken away from their home. Anyone one of us who has had a dog know that they love us unconditionally and it is up to us humans to care for them. Unfortunately for me I am really, really soppy and did read it through the dogs eye, hence the upset. I found it really sad. :cry:

Jesus, at least the dog did not suffer the fate one of our dogs did when I was a kid. My dad took Candy to the beck and tied a breeze block round her neckand scopped her in. Cheaper than a trip to the vet. I was upset mind but she was a crap dog.

Point is though we have a dog to peform a task for us - be that to comfort us, protect us or heard sheep. If they are not peforming that job we can get rid (oh I can hear the wails and gnashing of teeth). We had our next dog Trixie (shows what crap name you get when kids are involved) for 13 years then she was put down at the vet as I took her myself.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Jesus, at least the dog did not suffer the fate one of our dogs did when I was a kid. My dad took Candy to the beck and tied a breeze block round her neckand scopped her in. Cheaper than a trip to the vet. I was upset mind but she was a crap dog.

I've just stumbled across this thread, have to say words/opinion like this disgust me.

Words fail me, they really really do. How anyone can do this to an animal never mind a family pet is beyond me. And to just brush it aside with "she was a crap dog"..... Crap human being more like.

Just disgusting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    My god, I've read some sentimental tripe in my time but this takes the biscuit.

Hopefully you live in a pet free home
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Point is though we have a dog to peform a task for us - be that to comfort us, protect us or heard sheep. If they are not peforming that job we can get rid (oh I can hear the wails and gnashing of teeth). We had our next dog Trixie (shows what crap name you get when kids are involved) for 13 years then she was put down at the vet as I took her myself.

Any dog ending up with you, would have to be one seriously unlucky animal.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope you never have any more dogs :mad:
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    I hope you never have any more dogs :mad:

In times gone buy it was quite common for the father of the family to get rid of a unwanted litter, by drowning. It was a combination of cost and culture. Fortunetly society has moved on.

Despite the fact he was a farmer my father tried to protect us from the reality, and he would always say he was "taking the dog/kittens/puppies/cat to the vet". He would always come back empty handed. To this day I always wince when someone says they are taking their pet to the vet.

Years later I found out my dear father was taking the animals to the butchers where they processed for food for the local zoo (this was during the war)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that was sad. Horrified at some peoples responces
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only found out recently that my great grandfather drowned his dog in the old fashioned wash tub after they had finished doing the washing on a Monday morning,holding him under the water until he drowned.

His name was Bonny, he had nipped the postman.

I couldn't believe this and still can't.

So very very cruel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have to admit that I cried like a baby . . .

. . . after I realised that was five minutes of my life I'd never see again.
  • Options
    my-mate-marmitemy-mate-marmite Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lainy wrote: »
    that was sad. Horrified at some peoples responces

I'm more horrified at your spelling.