Options

Chris Barrie interested in reviving Brittas Empire

essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
Forum Member
Only way they could do it,IMO,is if they showed Brittas had passed the interview he was on his way to. More info in the British Comedy Guide.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last series was a shocker, the episode where he was squashed and came back bionic was a real "Jump the shark" moment, so best left where it was, plus one episode showed them in 2019 I think so wouldn't really work.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember the bionic episode steveh but LOVED The Brittas Empire (yessmssterbrtasss!)

Don't know if it'll stand the test of time but it was a seriously underrated comedy.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best left in the 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Don't remember the bionic episode steveh but LOVED The Brittas Empire (yessmssterbrtasss!)

Don't know if it'll stand the test of time but it was a seriously underrated comedy.

Gordon was hit by a falling water container in reception he was supposed to have died but they rebuilt him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760349/
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or to put it another way Chris Barrie has a lot of free time on his hands these days. Inbetween appearing at Conventions he's sitting at home next to a phone that never rings. Pity really, he's a genuinely funny and talented guy. Still there's always hope of another series of Red Dwarf to help keep up with the mortgage payments.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carols kids wouldn't fit in the cupboards or draws anymore
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a comedy that at the time seemed funny, but has not aged well. Like Men Behaving Badly
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Brittas Empire but I don't think it would work.

Sadly, my boss is very much like Mr Brittas!
  • Options
    pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    As long as they can get all the original characters back, would be very happy. In my opinion, it went downhill when Julia St John left.
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The last series was a shocker, the episode where he was squashed and came back bionic was a real "Jump the shark" moment, so best left where it was, plus one episode showed them in 2019 I think so wouldn't really work.

Yes, they really shouldn't have done that series, it was by different writers as well wasn't it? Mind you, wasn't he "killed off" in one of the earlier series as well? :confused:
    pon farr wrote: »
    As long as they can get all the original characters back, would be very happy. In my opinion, it went downhill when Julia St John left.

I used to fancy Laura...:blush: It didn't really work without her, there was the obvious chemistry between her and Gordon - almost to the point where you could see them having an affair (although I think Gordon was totally oblivious to this). Didn't she go off and marry a millionaire or something?

Not really sure whether a new series would work now though. I have to say I don't think I've ever seen repeats of this series either, so don't even know if 'd find it funny know, although this did appeal to my sort of humour...
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carols kids wouldn't fit in the cupboards or draws anymore

I believe it was "Carole - With an 'e'".... :D
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    It would be all about the script.

If they nailed it ( the script ) it could work again.

Script, script, script.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pon farr wrote: »
    Absolutely. Her character was what kept the plots grounded and made the comedy real. Without her Brittas simply wasn't credible. But you can't go back. Any attempt to do so will be doomed to fail. Best to remember it as the surreal treat it was when at its best.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I was sure Gordon wanted to have an affair with Laura TBH (wasnt there a fantasy scene where she snogged his face off?) :blush:
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the building it was filmed in is still a pool?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Yes, they really shouldn't have done that series, it was by different writers as well wasn't it? Mind you, wasn't he "killed off" in one of the earlier series as well? :confused:

I used to fancy Laura...:blush: It didn't really work without her, there was the obvious chemistry between her and Gordon - almost to the point where you could see them having an affair (although I think Gordon was totally oblivious to this). Didn't she go off and marry a millionaire or something?

Not really sure whether a new series would work now though. I have to say I don't think I've ever seen repeats of this series either, so don't even know if 'd find it funny know, although this did appeal to my sort of humour...

Her ex-husband returned just as Gordon had a dream about him and Laura, Laura fell pregnant and they remarried.

The fast forward episode was Laura telling her 20 year old son about working at the leisure centre when they all reunited.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would hate to see the legacy of this great show ruined if they were to bring it back. It might possibly work in these gym fanatical times. But in the last ever episode, it was suggested that the whole series had been a dream. How would they get round that? And everyone would look a lot older, possibly too old to be working in a leisure centre. Although Chris Barrie has already made a start by featuring as Gordon Brittas in the Little Mix video, Word Up, and it looks promising.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Gordon could easily have a brand new empire, it doesn't have to be in a leisure centre again.

It could be based elsewhere. Anywhere with people for Gordon mess with.

He could miss manage anything! Quite easily.

Bring on the O2!
  • Options
    pon farrpon farr Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Possibly one way to bring it back, most of the main characters had offspring’s, even Colin!

In sitcom land anything is possible, so perhaps they all decided to follow on and work at Whitbury Leisure Centre. The comedy would come from the original characters attitude versus their progeny's.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "progeny's"??
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Prince Among Men was dire, I seem to recall.

Didn't it get bumped from weekday peak times to Sunday afternoons?

Shame he doesn't appear to associate with the Dead Ringers lot, as he used to do Spitting Image years ago.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great series but agree with those who feel it went off a bit at the end, so not overly keen on a return. Chris and the cast were great, but a special mention to Pippa Haywood. Still laugh when recalling a scene where some woman had called her a bad mother and she kept coming back to try and lamp her. (it was a fair comment, really, tbh!)

She can play extreme characters, but remember seeing Pippa in a straight role post Brittas (Touch of Frost or some such) and realising she's absolutely gorgeous as well as very talented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great series but agree with those who feel it went off a bit at the end, so not overly keen on a return. Chris and the cast were great, but a special mention to Pippa Haywood. Still laugh when recalling a scene where some woman had called her a bad mother and she kept coming back to try and lamp her. (it was a fair comment, really, tbh!)

She can play extreme characters, but remember seeing Pippa in a straight role post Brittas (Touch of Frost or some such) and realising she's absolutely gorgeous as well as very talented.
    the woman Helen Brittas punched out was the girlfriend of Brittas's brother Horatio,and it was a fair comment,Helen had lost her children. To be exact, Helen punched her then flushed her head down a toilet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    A Prince Among Men was dire, I seem to recall.

Didn't it get bumped from weekday peak times to Sunday afternoons?

Shame he doesn't appear to associate with the Dead Ringers lot, as he used to do Spitting Image years ago.
    along with Steve Coogan
  • Options
    longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brittas is one of those show that for me is of its time. Don't think it would translate but would want it on a loop on Dave happily.