Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    fenlander wrote: »
    I had it available for 9 days - now gone. Looks like it's been quietly pulled.

Hallelujah.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that none of the mainstream media have picked up on this. They got excited enough about the release of Lollipop but very little mention of all the problems it's caused - and absolutely nothing from Google. Is Google trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft (who also put out a seriously defective update this week and said nothing while it wrecked W7 machines worldwide)?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I now have it on Nexus 5/7/10 and haven't noticed problems. The 7 (2013) only got the update this week and went straight to 5.0.1

The older Nexus 7 2012 is still waiting for the update.
    Forum Member
    Funny that none of the mainstream media have picked up on this. They got excited enough about the release of Lollipop but very little mention of all the problems it's caused - and absolutely nothing from Google. Is Google trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft (who also put out a seriously defective update this week and said nothing while it wrecked W7 machines worldwide)?

And my mate recently updated his Apple OS to Yosemite from Mavericks and regrets it, to some extent. He's experienced a lot of problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When Apple cocked up iOS 8 it made news headlines worldwide. Damn all has been mentioned about this, I listen to a few android podcasts and if you're lucky this is briefly mentioned but most don't say anything.

I also got notified of the disappearing update, I got the notification last night, I went to install and left it and went to bed, got up this morning still on 4.4.4 I checked system update and no update available.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it now for a few days on my 2013 nexus 7 and it seems to be fine so far .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    got 5.0.1 update on my 2013 Nexus 7 last week. I installed it.and did a factory reset immediately (which i do with every new Rom) and not had a single issue with it (except with the white app drawer wtc). Working fine for me. Not noticed any battery improvements but it's running fine.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jerhawk wrote: »
    got 5.0.1 update on my 2013 Nexus 7 last week. I installed it.and did a factory reset immediately (which i do with every new Rom) and not had a single issue with it (except with the white app drawer wtc). Working fine for me. Not noticed any battery improvements but it's running fine.

Yeah, but the thing is, the average user may not even know what a factory reset is, and with an installation of an OTA upgrade, it shouldn't ever be necessary.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yeah, but the thing is, the average user may not even know what a factory reset is, and with an installation of an OTA upgrade, it shouldn't ever be necessary.

Quite. I certainly wouldn't want to do that. As as it stands, Ihave a perfectly functioning Nexus tablet and want to keep it that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Quite. I certainly wouldn't want to do that. As as it stands, Ihave a perfectly functioning Nexus tablet and want to keep it that way.

Absolutely.

I'm not even sure what benefits Android 5.0.1 offers my 2013 nexus 7, theoretically.

That's discounting the potential damage it could do, if reports are to be believed..
  • zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zebedee wrote: »
    I was wary on updating as well, but 5.0 has been running ok on my 4 for a couple of weeks, so when 5.01 was offered on my 7 (2013) I downloaded it, and am having no problems. ( haven't noticed any improvment in battery life yet)
    I was never offered 5.0 on either of my 7's (2012 & 2013) so maybe they know there are issues.

p.s. a free download of Gravity was added to my library a few days ago.

Received 16 mb update to 5.01 on Nexus 4 last night. ( fixes bugs in description)

Still offered no upgrade for Nexus 7 (2012), and not going to go looking for one following all the problems reported.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No upgrade for 2012 n7 either, the must of pulled it.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No upgrade for 2012 n7 either, the must of pulled it.

nope. N7 2012 WIFI version still has v5.0 available.
    there is no v5.0.1 update as of yet.

N7 2012 3G has no v5.0 update available (same for N7 2013 LTE).
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.0.2 is out. Not got 5.0 on my Nexus 7 2012 yet, I hear rumours its been pulled from the OTA due to issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.0.2 is out. Not got 5.0 on my Nexus 7 2012 yet, I hear rumours its been pulled from the OTA due to issues.

Really ? - it would be useful to know if 5.0.2 addresses the previous issues. Be great to hear from Google exactly what it does do, and an assurance that it doesn't bugger up what you've already got and recently paid good money for.

ETA: looks as though it might just be for the 2012 wi fi N7 - link
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really ? - it would be useful to know if 5.0.2 addresses the previous issues. Be great to hear from Google exactly what it does do, and an assurance that it doesn't bugger up what you've already got and recently paid good money for.

ETA: looks as though it might just be for the 2012 wi fi N7 - link

It seems to have made my Nexus 2012 slightly less laggy.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone here received Android 5.0/5.0.1/5.0.2 on their Nexus 7 and/or have it successfully working on their tablet without any problems?

I'm surprised there's been no more news about the Lollipop updates to Nexus 7 2013. It's been very hush hush.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Has anyone here received Android 5.0/5.0.1/5.0.2 on their Nexus 7 and/or have it successfully working on their tablet without any problems?

I'm surprised there's been no more news about the Lollipop updates to Nexus 7 2013. It's been very hush hush.

Received 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 (2012) new years eve morning. Has certainly cured the lagging problem and my faithful Nexus is now usable again.
  • MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Macartist wrote: »
    Updated my Nexus 4 to Android 5 a couple of weeks ago. No major issues yet, some apps stopped performing though, just a case of waiting for updates I guess. wifi has seemed to be functioning OK so far, still evaluating battery performance though! Overall quite happy with the update so far! :)

Started having weird crashing issues with my Nexus 4, the phone would just die and become unresponsive even though it had plenty of battery. Only holding the power and volume keys would wake it up again and then it was a bit flaky. After this happened a few times, performed a factory reset which seems to have cured the problem. Not sure but I think there was also an issue with the Battery Doctor app and Android 5 and the way it works. Not running it seems to have helped also. :confused::(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news on 5.0 for the 3G Nexus 7? The update for the cellular tablets was due out in early December but I'm still waiting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're now onto Android L - v5.1
    When Google first rolled out the Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system, many were disappointed to find it plagued with bugs and issues, even after it went through the developer preview phase before it was released to the general public.

The bugs affected the users' smooth and pure Android experience. Users complained mostly about the installation and Wi-Fi issues in the handsets, with some saying that they could no longer connect to their Wi-Fi network. This left them with no choice but to revert back to the previous Android 4.4.4 KitKat OS. The bugs also affected the sales of the new Nexus devices since the Nexus 6 and 9 come with Android 5.0 out-of-the-box.

The tech giant rolled out the Android 5.0.1 OS update that was supposed to fix the problems, but it ended up causing more issues in the handsets. Some users reported that a massive memory loss happened when they installed the latest OS update. The next update, Android 5.0.2, was spotted in the original Nexus 7, but it has not yet been rolled out to other devices and the company has not disclosed when it will deliver it. In the meantime, the company resolved the issues by releasing a minor update aimed at fixing the memory loss.

A major Android update, Android 5.1, is reportedly scheduled to be launched in February, according to Android Pit. The update will be widely released to major devices this summer, sometime in June or July.

Given the track record so far, I won't be downloading that either, assuming it comes to Nexus 7 wi fi 2013.

I don't understand how a company the size of Google, with all their resources, have made so many amateurish mistakes. I truly don't. Did no-one road test the updates against existing devices ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're now onto Android L - v5.1

That article linked says by the summer :confused:

For those that are more conservative, you might want to hold off until at least the end of Jan before updating. Lollipop is a major update not a revision change - which means bugs.
    Forum Member
    Just to reiterate, I shan't be updating any of my perfectly functioning devices.
    Seems lunacy to me unless there is some outstanding features which so far I haven't read about and believe me, I have read and read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    That article linked says by the summer :confused:

Why confused ? - they're talking about it, ergo: we're now onto it.
    For those that are more conservative, you might want to hold off until at least the end of Jan before updating. Lollipop is a major update not a revision change - which means bugs.

Might have been politic for Google to alert users, most of whom are not technically savvy, to the fact that their tablet might be turned into a brick by downloading the latest update. I recall no such warning ahead of Android 5.0, only a series of plus points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Just to reiterate, I shan't be updating any of my perfectly functioning devices.
    Seems lunacy to me unless there is some outstanding features which so far I haven't read about and believe me, I have read and read.

Couldn't agree more.

My device works fine as it is.