Browser for children to only view http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/? Nook HD (Android)

Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there,

We have the Cbeebies app on my children's Nook tablets, but they like some of the other games that are only available on the Cbeebies web site.

I was wondering if there is a browser that will only allow them to view the Cbeebies web site (say any web page starting http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies )?

Thanks, Mark.

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there,

We have the Cbeebies app on my children's Nook tablets, but they like some of the other games that are only available on the Cbeebies web site.

I was wondering if there is a browser that will only allow them to view the Cbeebies web site (say any web page starting http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies )?

Thanks, Mark.

Wot could try this browser...

Add the site to the whitelist and as the start page. I had a quick slay and it stopped me navigating out of Cbeebies (may need to slay around without the whitelist for some Cbeebies content).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and I'd also recommend a N2A card to make your Nook true Android.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

I must admit that I did consider flashing an Android ROM onto the Nooks, but I'm quite impressed with them and they do everything we need without having to do it and I really like the Nooks restrictions that you can put into it for children's accounts.

I think if I had one I would be tempted to put Android onto it, but the basic build is ideal for them.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Put a link to Cbeebies on the desktop and hide the browsers.
  • happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »

I've got a Nook HD! It's running Android at the moment?

What do you mean by true Android?

If I got one of those N2A cards would Sky Go & Netflix still work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a Nook HD! It's running Android at the moment?

What do you mean by true Android?

If I got one of those N2A cards would Sky Go & Netflix still work?

As I understand it, Nooks run a locked down B&N version of Android so you cannot get all apps and functionality. The card will allow you to boot into Android as if it were a 'normal' Android tablet but you can boot into the Nook variant again if you take the card out. Check YouTube for n2a to see how it works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Put a link to Cbeebies on the desktop and hide the browsers.

I'll see if I can give that a go (not sure how the Nook works with links, but I will have a play).

Cheers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a side note are you sure the games on the Cbebbies website will work on your tablet as they'll be written in Flash?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    As a side note are you sure the games on the Cbebbies website will work on your tablet as they'll be written in Flash?

I've deleted the above comment as like you said the Cbeebies games do not appear to work with this browser.

Although they do work ok with Chrome browser so Flash seems to work normally ok on these tablets.

Annoying thing is I uninstalled it to get a refund and then realized that I could not leave a review if I did not have it installed, so thought I would reinstall so I could leave a review before uninstalling again, but I don't think the Play store does not let you have a refund for the 2nd time. >:(. Still it's my silly fault for not not reading the Google Play T's & C's before reinstalling it to leave the review.

I have E-Mailed the developer about the Flash issue.

This was the browser if anybody wanted one that's safe for children - it seems good apart from the chuffin Flash not working: Kids Safe Browser Pro
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and I'd also recommend a ..to make your Nook true Android.
    More than a bit of a scam if they are selling someones free open source ROM.

Beware, all the Roms have bugs so you lose functionality for what is hardly needed anyway, considering the Nooks got the Play store on the last updates.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would you pay for that ????

All the information and ROM are freely available,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Why would you pay for that ????

All the information and ROM are freely available,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-hd/development

Because not everyone knows how to/fully understand it. Doesn't want to bother doing it.

No different to someone paying someone to change oil on a car. Easy to do but most people don't do it themseleves.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Because not everyone knows how to/fully understand it. Doesn't want to bother doing it.

No different to someone paying someone to change oil on a car. Easy to do but most people don't do it themseleves.

While I generally agree with this, I looked at the site, looks like all they are selling is a ROM on a SD and what looks like instructions to root the device. They are saving you the download of the ROM and providing a microSD card. There is a lot of stuff that you have to do yourself, same as if you read the instructions on XDA.