Tablet wifi/internet connectivity advice

highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
Just bought my first tablet, one of those first gen Nexus 7s going cheap, and need to know how to get it connected.

Presumably it's easy if you have wifi like at my place, but I will use it at my mum's and there's no internet there. Would I then be able to use a 3g or 4g signal somehow via the mobile? If so do you need another accessory for this?

Asked a guy in 3 about this and he told me you could get wifi for £15 a month in this circumstance but I'm sure there was another way a girl in there told me last year where you could use your mobile's connectivity and it was cheaper?

Comments

• MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    If you have the facility to share your internet from your mobile phone then you can do it that way.

Otherwise it's wifi or free wifi hotspots.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought my first tablet, one of those first gen Nexus 7s going cheap, and need to know how to get it connected.

Presumably it's easy if you have wifi like at my place, but I will use it at my mum's and there's no internet there. Would I then be able to use a 3g or 4g signal somehow via the mobile? If so do you need another accessory for this?

Asked a guy in 3 about this and he told me you could get wifi for £15 a month in this circumstance but I'm sure there was another way a girl in there told me last year where you could use your mobile's connectivity and it was cheaper?

Some phones have the ability to create a WiFi hotspot using their built in WiFi capabilities. You can then connect to this WiFi hotspot in the same way as your home WiFi. This then lets you share the data connection of the phone to surf t'interweb on the connected device.

However, you need to check first that your phone service allows what is known as Tethering. If it does then you are OK. If not then you might be subject to charges over and above any data allowance you have.

And of course using the phone like this will eat into any data allowance you may have.

If your phone tariff does not allow tethering then you either take the chance your phone provider doesn't twig what you are doing or you have to use an alternative means. What the 3 guy may have been talking about is their MiFi device. This is a little unit that connects over the mobile network to the web and generates a WiFi hotspot to link to other devices such as your tablet or a laptop. Obviously that will cost depending on how much data you want to use.