Google Music Uk has launched

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I wonder, will my music in iTunes upload okay or will i have to do something first?

One of the options in the Google Music Manager is to get the music from iTunes. That's what I did.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the options in the Google Music Manager is to get the music from iTunes. That's what I did.

Nice, it wont duplicate the entire library on my computer will it?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is the exact thing that worries me about things like this!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's going quite well actually. I started about 4 hours ago went out and came back a short while ago. It now only has about 500 songs left to upload.
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to upload via the music manager?

If you pin them to your phone where do they appear?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    you can just leave it running in the background. there's an option to auto-start it each time you turn your PC on. Just set it up, hit go, and then forget about it.

Thanks. I did this earlier and now it has almost finished:)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is the exact thing that worries me about things like this!

Yeah the last thing i want is another 30GB taken up by duplicate songs lol.

Also I only have a 256GB drive in my laptop so can't afford the extra space.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think I will keep my music on my external hard drive, no doubt this is another service like Amazon where the Artist will get pittance.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Conversely, Google could also be forced by record labels into only accepting music uploads that feature that sort of identifying information.

I suspect this is probably going to be the most likely outcome if the service really takes off.

How are they going to know if you've ripped CD's you legally own and manually entered the ID3 tags ?

I also use mp3tag to edit a lot of the ID3 stuff on my music as well, so I just really can't see how they're ever going to tell if something has been downloaded illegally.

The only conceivable way I can see it happening is if they manually scan ID3 tags for trigger words like "scene" and "ripped by" or other typical terms used by illegal filesharers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i think I will keep my music on my external hard drive, no doubt this is another service like Amazon where the Artist will get pittance.

As opposed to nothing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK so I'm uploading all my songs and this is nearly finished. I've also downloaded the app on both my phone and tablet, however I can't seem to see/access any of my songs that I've already uploaded on either my phone or tablet. When I go into the settings on my PC and go to manage my devices the only device that is listed there is my pc. How can I get my phone and tablet authorised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a delicate topic: illegally downloaded files. I have to say the vast majority of my mp3 files were purchased legally, but I can't say how I got some of them years and years ago. I read somewhere Google would just delete them. But is that all that would happen?

Someone I know has had their er...dodgy files on Google Music US for quite a few months now and nothings happened to them.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As opposed to nothing?

Google and Amazon then makes a load of money on the back of these artists, plus there is also the tax issue.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any way to do it without having to add a credit card?.:(

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Darren
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no, Google doesn't maintain a (separate) local copy on your PC. The downside, for folks like kev, is that it also doesn't sync a local version on your PC. (Did I just say the same thing twice? oops)

I think its geared up more for portable devices having local copies rather than desktops and laptops. You can download songs (or the whole thing) manually, but Google's software doesn't auto sync it I don't think. Maybe some 3rd party stuff will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    no, Google doesn't maintain a (separate) local copy on your PC. The downside, for folks like kev, is that it also doesn't sync a local version on your PC. (Did I just say the same thing twice? oops)

I think its geared up more for portable devices having local copies rather than desktops and laptops. You can download songs (or the whole thing) manually, but Google's software doesn't auto sync it I don't think. Maybe some 3rd party stuff will.

On a slightly different note, I like that if you want to use it in conjunction with another service, they make it easy. So, music I add to iTunes will automatically be uploaded to Google Music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any way to do it without having to add a credit card?.:(

From what I can see, its a geography check that you really are based in the UK. Some services will accept fake credit card numbers (not as dodgy as it sounds)
    e.g. the numbers here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258255
    guess that they will show up as US cards though.

Google has previously accepted UK credit cards with (dummy) US addresses as 'proof' of US residency before.

maybe pay as you go/top up credit cards will work on it if they show up as UK cards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a delicate topic: illegally downloaded files. I have to say the vast majority of my mp3 files were purchased legally, but I can't say how I got some of them years and years ago. I read somewhere Google would just delete them. But is that all that would happen?

well GMusic has been running in the states for a year now, and I don't remember hearing any stories of them grassing people up. TBH, I don't remember hearing any stories of them refusing/deleting illegal songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've sorted it now. My library is now available for streaming on both my phone and tablet. Uploading is going so slowly now. In 3 hours its only done about 100 songs.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty awesome got 2k songs uploaded now. Playing back on my playbook right off the browser whilst surfing. Works pretty well. Sound Quality seems fine too. Rock on!!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I've sorted it now. My library is now available for streaming on both my phone and tablet. Uploading is going so slowly now. In 3 hours its only done about 100 songs.

1600 songs in 24 hours another 1500 to go :( + the application is causing my computer to slow down and internet to become unresponsive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    1600 songs in 24 hours another 1500 to go :( + the application is causing my computer to slow down and internet to become unresponsive.

Lol, its not the internet that is unresponsive. Its that you are using all your upload bandwidth on uploading to google!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Lol, its not the internet that is unresponsive. Its that you are using all your upload bandwidth on uploading to google!
    :D true.

Just found the app has a upload bandwidth selection.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I've just noticed an unfortunate side effect of the matching - it's replaced uncensored versions of some tracks with censored ones.

For example Collision Course by Jay-Z & Linkin Park - I've got the uncensored version of the album in my local library but the censored version in the cloud library.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    Hmm, I've just noticed an unfortunate side effect of the matching - it's replaced uncensored versions of some tracks with censored ones.

Same has happened to me, I've got the orginal version of The Fear by Lilly Allen (what? it's quite a good pop song, honest!)

It's been replaced by the censored one :mad: