Full house at the Barlows' again

Comments

• Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Barlow's have definitely pushed that rule a few times.

I can't speak for the EE, I haven't watched in over 20 years. My girlfriend at the time used to watch it, but I found myself actually getting depressed, so I stopped. Even now if I turn over and it's on I feel a dark cloud descending.

I dip in and out of EE, stopped watching it for quite a while but started again last couple of weeks.

I prefer Corrie though.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    They don't as such. The original houses (not the side that the Websters and Gail live) are traditional two-up, two down houses with a scullery (now used as a kitchen).

In some houses (Barlows and Eileens) the front room is used as a bedroom.

Least in Corrie they don't have more people than can possibly live in the house staying (I'm thinking Pat's house in Enders).

EE has had a few people staying in the Vic as well..lol:D
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Also some of the decor on Corrie is a little ridiclous, it looks like it hasn't been decoration for 20 years. Dev, Fail and the Webster's places are the only decent looking houses on the street. Steven's is alright but its incredibly cramped, why would anyone put a table right in the middle of their living room?

I like Carla's place but she doesn't live on the street.
  • JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why all the debate about where people will sleep, when the Barlow's house is also part of the Rover's toilets? Plenty of room for them all if you ask me.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE has had a few people staying in the Vic as well..lol:D

That's true! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also some of the decor on Corrie is a little ridiclous, it looks like it hasn't been decoration for 20 years. Dev, Fail and the Webster's places are the only decent looking houses on the street. Steven's is alright but its incredibly cramped, why would anyone put a table right in the middle of their living room?

Fiz's house is so bland and simple. How many houses in real life do you see like that? A lick of paint the odd picture etc and thats it, it looks empty.
  • zombie woofzombie woof Posts: 6,906
    Forum Member
    JC_GTA2010 wrote: »
    Why all the debate about where people will sleep, when the Barlow's house is also part of the Rover's toilets? Plenty of room for them all if you ask me.
    OK, there is that old chestnut. But that aside, it must be cosy in there.
    Forum Member
    JC_GTA2010 wrote: »
    Fiz's house is so bland and simple. How many houses in real life do you see like that? A lick of paint the odd picture etc and thats it, it looks empty.

It matches the residents well then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It matches the residents well then.

And Fiz's teeth and ET Gail:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, there is that old chestnut. But that aside, it must be cosy in there.

It probably was till Tracy returned.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind, I've only ever seen Deirdre open a tin of soup. Who's doing all the cooking?
  • adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are floor plans for the houses available anywhere? I can't believe that those terraced houses have three bedrooms.

I don't understand where these extra front parlours are. Those houses just look like the house I was brought up in.

The front parlours are, as the name suggests, at the front. That is the window you see from the street. The back room also doubles as a kitchen and has a kitchenette at the very back, looking onto the yard. That's why when Tyrone is in his sitting area, you can also see the kitchen sink and cooker in the same room. Some of the residents normally keep their front parlours as sitting rooms, eg. Emily, until she took in Rita who presumably sleeps in the front now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    This is pretty much what I though. As for the different layout I guess somebody altered them as some stage because they wanted a bigger living room. I can't recall if or when they changed, perhapse someone else can enlighten us.

I cannot be sure, but I have a vague notion from the dim and distant that it was Ivy & Bert Tilsley that knocked the two rooms into one .. I think they used to live in what is now Fiz's house. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those houses don't have front rooms.

Edit-

I've actually just read that the front parlour has been converted into a bedsit for Sean. Quite frankly I don't believe it, I don't understand how it can be.

Yes they do have front rooms, but few people live in them. Most live in the back room which also doubles as a kitchen. In some cases the front room is used as a bedroom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The decor is in keeping with the people who live there. Not everyone decorates their homes every few years.
    Forum Member
    adwalton wrote: »
    The front parlours are, as the name suggests, at the front. That is the window you see from the street. The back room also doubles as a kitchen and has a kitchenette at the very back, looking onto the yard. That's why when Tyrone is in his sitting area, you can also see the kitchen sink and cooker in the same room. Some of the residents normally keep their front parlours as sitting rooms, eg. Emily, until she took in Rita who presumably sleeps in the front now.
    I know what you mean, but those houses look small from the front. The rooms must be exceptionally narrow, considering the stairs run up one side. If you compare the houses that have been knocked though with the houses that haven't, that front parlour must be about 10 foot by 10 foot absolute max.
    Forum Member

>>>I am guessing that when the Websters were across the street they used the front room as a bedroom?<<<<

I seem to remember Sally and Kevin sitting on the sofa in the living room of that first house. We didn't see it very often but I am pretty sure I *did* see it... Used when they were having a heart to heart sort of convo. The back of the sofa was facing the dividing wall (front room/back room).

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty much what I though. As for the different layout I guess somebody altered them as some stage because they wanted a bigger living room. I can't recall if or when they changed, perhapse someone else can enlighten us.

Yeas ago when Len fairclough and Rita were married and moved into one of the houses, Len, being a builder, knocked through the two rooms and considerably modernised the place. I can't remember which house it was and who lives there now, but it would have been one of the 'through' houses.
    Forum Member
    The decor is in keeping with the people who live there. Not everyone decorates their homes every few years.

Fiz/John and Molly/Tyronne were young couples, I find it a bit difficult to buy that they would live in a house with such anicent decoration.
    Forum Member
    Yes they do have front rooms, but few people live in them. Most live in the back room which also doubles as a kitchen. In some cases the front room is used as a bedroom.
    My grandma had a front room, which was never used. There were doilies on everything and a fire that never got lit, but her house was bigger than those on corrie.
    Forum Member
    Yeas ago when Len fairclough and Rita were married and moved into one of the houses, Len, being a builder, knocked through the two rooms and considerably modernised the place. I can't remember which house it was and who lives there now, but it would have been one of the 'through' houses.
    It's coming back to me now. Did he not cock it up and put a beam in that wasn't up to the job?
    Forum Member
    Fiz/John and Molly/Tyronne were young couples, I find it a bit difficult to buy that they would live in a house with such anicent decoration.
    When you are skint, decorating is not the first thing on your mind.
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by adwalton

Ah! That would be Dev's. I have just read that in 1965, the house collapsed. Len Fairclough built a new one in 1982 ;)
    Forum Member
    When you are skint, decorating is not the first thing on your mind.

I don't think either couple could be considered "skint", they both work full time.