Options

Agencies for "low level" jobs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
I'd be grateful if anyone could direct me to any agencies that help their clients with getting work cleaning (indoors preferably), kitchen porters/assistants/cooks etc... anything really.

I've been looking for work for ages now and most don't respond or ask for experience - which I don't have. I have a qualification in food hygiene (level 2).

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just lost my job today.

I won't be using an agency again, them and the firms that use them are taking the piss......
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »

I won't be using an agency again, them and the firms that use them are taking the piss......

I'm so sorry to hear that cheeks. I remember you posting when you got the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Have you tried approaching employers directly? For example, councils need cleaners, cooks etc... for schools, council offices and such.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you tried approaching employers directly? For example, councils need cleaners, cooks etc... for schools, council offices and such.

I have and many give the usual response where they'll take my number and get back in touch if there's an opening (which almost always seems to mean "go away"). However I am still trying.

And I'm very much sorry to hear that cheeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bump (anyone?)
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major supermarkets, shopping centres, large office blocks - all have cleaning teams, mostly early morning - try writing/phoning/emailing all the local Tesco/Asda etc, any major shopping centre, like Arndale, Trafford Centre, Blue Water - anything local to you. And train/bus stations/major department stores, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Manpower? I've never used them but seem to remember they always have cleaning, warehouse and factory jobs on display in their windows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »

Indeed agencies are the new slave labour for our times,especially and maybe only at the bottom end of the jobs market.:(

I feel very sorry for you and hope you get back on your feet quickly cheeks.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A lot of which has been contracted out to private firms sadly.

But worth a try anyway.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    Indeed agencies are the new slave labour for our times,especially and maybe only at the bottom end of the jobs market.:(

I feel very sorry for you and hope you get back on your feet quickly cheeks.:)

cheers mate, it's definitely disposal labour.

When the bloke phoned me up with the bad news he wrongly assumed that I'd be using them again, saying that unfortunately they don't have anything for me at the moment....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reed Hospitality are very good, you can build up holiday pay with them and the clients they have are generally of a high standard as are the staff they use. I have used them as a client and as a team member