Are you "proud" of your race or do you think yourself just "lucky"

124»

Comments

• LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Oh do stop trying to be clever. The post in bold is where you went off on a tangent. I responded to what you said, is all, annoying as that might be to you. So stop with the smart-arse comments.

Thanks for that! I agree that one of us is annoyed. We just need to work out which one.
    I am free to give any examples I wish of why I think I am lucky to have been born here - by a pure accident of birth. I am also free to give any examples of how trivial most of our everyday problems are when compared with people who are dealing with a different deck of cards , a different accident of birth. If you don't understand the relevance or context of the examples that I choose then maybe my posts are not aimed at you.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I chose a night elf. I'm fairly proud of my choice. It's useful for hiding from enemies.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am proud of my Ulster heritage and my native land.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be silly.

You cannot be proud of something you did not achieve.
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I'm happy being an Irishman but it is just luck that I am one, my parents could have emigrated
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very proud of being an Irishman - I could very easily have not existed at all only for my grandfather returning from the states after some 20 years to marry and start a family here. He left on his own at 16 years of age with nothing, crossed the Atlantic and across the entire USA from New York to Oregon but the longing for home and his sence of Irishness always drew him back home.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    more relieved than proud
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure that proud is the right word - can you be proud of something that you had no control over and couldn't change if you wanted to? I'm glad to be born when and where I am. I'm glad I live in a country where I'm unlikely to starve to death, where I am free to say more or less what I want to say and believe what I want to believe, where I'm unlikely to be killed or tortured for who I am and where I can enjoy a good standard of living, have free health treatment and enjoy the benefits of modern science. I don't believe in 'my country right or wrong'. This country has done a lot of good things throughout history and we should be proud of that, but it has also done many things that we should regret and I don't see any problem in admitting that we were wrong. We may argue over which things fit into which category, but we are free to argue that.
    Taking everything into consideration, there aren't many places or times I would rather live in, but there are plenty I would not want to. Perhaps in the future, people will look with horror on our society - who knows?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    This thread is about feeling lucky to have been born in one part of the world (and not somewhere else).
    Not according to the thread title!
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no control over it so 'proud' is the wrong word. It would be like feeling 'proud' about being tall.
  • PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I'm ever so proud of my size 11 feet
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    No I'm not proud of my race. Being born a certain colour isn't an achievement.

You can be proud of your heritage surely? I am very proud of where I'm from, my mother was born in England and so were my brother, sister and I, so I even feel quite an affinity to England, and the cultural identity I have has become quite mixed, as there is quite a mix in the family.
    Of course.
    What's the alternative?

I presume everybody is proud of what they are, where they come from ect.
    Must be pretty damn miserable to feel ashamed of all that.

It's rare that I agree with you, but this time I do.
    Forum Member
    You can be proud of your heritage surely? I am very proud of where I'm from, my mother was born in England and so were my brother, sister and I, so I even feel quite an affinity to England, and the cultural identity I have has become quite mixed, as there is quite a mix in the family.

It's rare that I agree with you, but this time I do.

The thing is your HERITAGE has nothing to do with us as individuals.'We" as a country have achieved so many good things in the past but I'm afraid I was unable to contribute to that
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can be proud of your heritage surely?

You can, but it's a bit silly to be.

I guess semantics play a part. If you have a great family you can be happy you're part of that, but me pride is only warranted when you actually did something.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't see why people think just because you are not proud means you are ashamed when truth is most don't care either way why should I be proud or ashamed of something what has got nothing to do with me it wasn't anything I did or had a choice in and it is only a minuscule part of who I am.
  • Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you can be proud of your country in the same way that you can be proud to belong to your family. That's more like being honoured to be part of something.

However it's certainly not an achievement of any sort to be born into a certain country.

The pride of being from a certain country cannot match the pride one gets in their own personal achievements.

Nobody will remember you for being british, people will remember you for your contributions to the world.
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »

I guess semantics play a part. If you have a great family you can be happy you're part of that, but me pride is only warranted when you actually did something.

:) totally agree
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could only have EVER been born to my parents, as they could to theirs.

Theirs is my history, my culture is informed by our history, much of it good as well as there being some terrible things.

I am 'lucky' in the sense I certainly didn't CHOOSE it, but we are all a products of our history and culture, and I think there is much to be proud of in that.

And people WANT to be proud of who they are, of where they come from, of their land and culture.

And why not?

There are always things that are and were bad or wrong, but there are also things that are wonderful and important and worthy of celebrating.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

Well no, I can be proud of my car, or my football team or my niece and nephew, none of those things involve doing anything.

I can also be proud of my rich and and varied cultural background.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    more relieved than proud

I agree with this. I am not proud of a heck of a lot of our history, but I am happy to be living in a country where I have far more rights and privileges then i would experience elsewhere.

Of course this question depends entirely on what the OP means by proud, I am not proud of my nationality, how can I be when it is a social construct and one that came about entirely by accident. I am not happy to be English any more then I would be happy to be French or German or American ect ect.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and what "race" is this .....

the HUMAN race?
    the "WHITE" race?

can't have enough SPECIFICS you know .....
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    and what "race" is this .....

the HUMAN race?
    the "WHITE" race?

can't have enough SPECIFICS you know .....

It's the human race, if you choose to be proud of that.

It's ALL the parts of your 'race' if you are mixed race.

I don't know why there should be SHAME when it comes to who you are and your historicity, we ALL, each race, have bad and good in our history.

Being PROUD, is, used properly, celebrating what is GOOD, in our history, whilst acknowledging the 'bad'.

We can't LIVE, constantly in SHAME, we can only understand it and be determined to hope and even fight for better.

Pride and shame are interesting words mind, but you know what I mean.
    Forum Member
    I think it's the OTT patriotism even when it comes to things like your favourite football team.I LOVE football but don't support a particular team but my workmates DO get a bit too involved in the game(although they don't actually play).The really strange thing is after the weekend they all have this bizarre conversation in which they ask each other "Who did YOU play at the weekend?" Or "WE got beat in the last game" even though it actually wasn't THEM who played.It was a team they like and that's it.Sirry for going off on a slight tangent but I do believe its all related.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no, I can be proud of my car or my football team, or niece and nephew, none of those things involve doing anything.

You can. And I think it'd be a bit stupid. :)

(Though I suppose you actually worked to afford the car, so fair enough on that one.)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was lucky to be born white and english.

It's not something to be proud of.