The Island Bear Grylls

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    yeah ive turned off, i don't see the point in it tbh, i don't even think its necessary , we know the woman would not survive if the animals werent provided, its become a bit of a farce sadly

You do realize that the men have been provided with animals as well?
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are not allowed to have different views on here apparently without someone having a go

:D Yep, quickly realised that! ;-) :)
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me mental.. But if I needed to catch fish I'd put that net 'in' the actual water lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You do realize that the men have been provided with animals as well?

I don't watch the mens island, so i can only comment on the women's
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I bet that pig was drugged!

I thought the same thing.

But for those that opposed the pig slaughter... who is going to enjoy their bacon sandwich this weekend?
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    you are not allowed to have different views on here apparently without someone having a go
    If people voice stupid opinions, then someone will have a go. Given that Bear has stated explicitly that food source and water has been provided on the islands and it is up to the men and women to find and get them, then you complain about food source being provided, you are voicing a stupid opinion. It isn't about the pigs being left on the island, it is about how they catch it, and if they can catch it and kill it.

One thing that the show is about is whether modern people can deal with having to find, catch and kill their own food. This is what we are seeing on the show. People complaining about animals being killed while they tuck into their pork dinner must have thought that pork chops are grown in labs. Maybe people should be made to see where their food comes from.
  • redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puddin wrote: »
    I thought the same thing.

But for those that opposed the pig slaughter... who is going to enjoy their bacon sandwich this weekend?

Kill it, cook it, eat it. I remember being out hillwalking and we saw a lamb, my friend and I both said yum at the same time......Does that make me a bad person? No just an omnivore. I bet that pig was tasty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lauren is definitely the one you would want to be stranded on a desert island with. And not nearly as annoying as Vic, with his tons of fish and self-aggrandizing monologues.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has been asked already but....

The batteries in a gopro will only last for about 2 hours of HD recording. How do they charge them? Or do they have a case full of hundreds of batteries and micro SD cards?

Same goes to the professional cameras...
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Well, I enjoyed that.
    I won't go back through the posts as I can see some daft nonsense has been posted, just by the reading last page of the thread.
    Real shame Abby has gone, I really liked her and wanted her to stay.
    Soon got bored with Bear going on and on about Georgie's health.
    Teabagging convo had me cracking up.
    I hope the women don't make the same mistake the men made and cook all the meat, as the men's raw Croc meat went off overnight.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still giving no reason why there's no men's island episode next week
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Still giving no reason why there's no men's island episode next week

General election maybe?
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    If people voice stupid opinions, then someone will have a go. Given that Bear has stated explicitly that food source and water has been provided on the islands and it is up to the men and women to find and get them, then you complain about food source being provided, you are voicing a stupid opinion. It isn't about the pigs being left on the island, it is about how they catch it, and if they can catch it and kill it.

One thing that the show is about is whether modern people can deal with having to find, catch and kill their own food. This is what we are seeing on the show. People complaining about animals being killed while they tuck into their pork dinner must have thought that pork chops are grown in labs. Maybe people should be made to see where their food comes from.

I'm used to watching Marooned With Ed Stafford, for me when the animals have been provided for then it just becomes pointless, in the same way it was disappointing when they had to be provided with stuff to get the fire going, it just feels like cheating, and i know where food comes from so there is no need to be condescending, i might eat meat, but it doesnt mean i want to see animal slaughter just for a program like this.

At least on other survival programs the animals have some chance as they are wild and Indigenous to the place, the pigs on that island look tame and out of their depth, its hardly fair game to see whether they can catch them when they have been plonked there for the sole purpose of them being caught, it doesnt sit right with me, and thats my opinion whether you think its stupid or not, cus i couldnt give a shite tbh
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    there should be coconuts, fruits, tubers, plants, and berries....if they look for them

What 'exactly' is on this Island, people keep saying what 'should' be on this island.
    The women have been eating tubers, seems like they've run out near the end of this episode as they weren't mentioned any more.
    Coconuts, Bear mentioned 'slivers' so I can only assume there aren't a lot of ripe Coconuts available, but he's always vague on the food front.
    Last year Bear had to plant tubers, apparently fair amount rotted in the ground before the men found them though.

As for Coconuts, apparently about 4 a day should keep you alive, for month, YMMV obviously.
    In WWII a downed American pilot survived in the South Pacific Islands for 30 days on them but found eggs at one point too.
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    so why are you watching the program? :confused:

Because i thought it was going to be a decent survival program, also i want to see how some of the women get on, some of them i like, some of them i don't, so the human aspect intrigues me, also there are a few fm's who watch and post during the hour who i like and they make it worthwhile, to be honest though nothing is really happening, they don't go exploring, they havent made a proper camp, so next week it will something to record and FF to anything i happen to find interesting
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The larger lady (Georgie?) seemed to be suffering the most. Always advantageous to be lean so your body isn't wasting energy trying to keep lots of fat in motion. Quite a few of the girls looked chubby at the weigh in.

The baby voiced girl was grating with her "trying to be cute" asides to the camera.

How convenient piggy decided to take an afternoon nap nearby, not even stirring until their hands were round its neck. Suspected intervention by the production crew.

The women have achieved sod all compared to the guys.
    Forum Member
    I'm used to watching Marooned With Ed Stafford, for me when the animals have been provided for then it just becomes pointless, in the same way it was disappointing when they had to be provided with stuff to get the fire going, it just feels like cheating, and i know where food comes from so there is no need to be condescending, i might eat meat, but it doesnt mean i want to see animal slaughter just for a program like this.

At least on other survival programs the animals have some chance as they are wild and Indigenous to the place, the pigs on that island look tame and out of their depth, its hardly fair game to see whether they can catch them when they have been plonked there for the sole purpose of them being caught, it doesnt sit right with me, and thats my opinion whether you think its stupid or not, cus i couldnt give a shite tbh
    It is still a stupid opinion because you are not watching Marooned with Ed Stafford or any other survival program. What this program is has been clearly stated by Bear, that you chose to watch it, ignored what it clearly stated it is (repeated many times by Bear), then complained about what it is or it is not, is just stupid.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All in all I think it's pretty fair.

The vast majority of food we eat has been reared and cared for specifically for the purpose. So pretty much like the tame baby pigs. It's comparatively rare that we eat animals that have been hunted as game. And which is more humane - factory farming or game hunting?

So the island is basically factory faming and the only issue is whether the animals are despatched humanely without suffering. Certainly the tied pig suffered some distress when tied and in escaping - and the sleepy pig when jumped on. But, to be honest, if you are under the illusion that the animals we eat are never distressed as they are herded to slaughter houses you haven't really looked into it.

The islanders have clearly been told to keep the animals as calm as they can and despatch quickly and decisively. Apart from the poor old boa they have pretty much done as well as they can.

So it's brought them face to face with the reality of meat eating and, judging from the posts on here, viewers too.

I try to be veggie mainly, but I am conscious it's a luxury I can afford to have.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    General election maybe?

Obviously, but instead of having no men's episode and moving the women's episode to Wednesday why not just let both shows have a week off?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What part of Yorkshire is he from? His voice reminds me of someone and it is bugging me who it is!

Carl Fogarty, who won 'I'm a Celebrity....' last year?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that IS the point! They don't seem to have been catered for and it has been set up just for meat eaters to make good TV with public slaughtering.

It's interesting that it wasn't the vegetarian having problems and wanting to leave last night.
    Bear talks about the group needing meat to survive....but if the vegetarian is getting by okay, then do they really?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You wait for weeks for a meal and two come along at once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    The larger lady (Georgie?) seemed to be suffering the most. Always advantageous to be lean so your body isn't wasting energy trying to keep lots of fat in motion. Quite a few of the girls looked chubby at the weigh in.
    You must be the only person in the world who thinks it is an advantage in a famine to start off thin. It really isn't 'always advantageous to be lean' when body fat is being lost rapidly; oddly enough, it is a big advantage to have more body fat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23302114

In a famine, older and fatter people (especially women, with their greater body fat and smaller muscle bulk) live significantly longer than younger and thinner people.

The women have achieved sod all compared to the guys.
    I think that's nonsense. The men have JUST made themselves beds, after a massive sandfly attack; if it hadn't been for the sandfly attack, there is no reason to suppose they would ever have stopped sleeping on the ground. ONE of the men has a skill at fishing; none of the other men have caught any fish. The men were unable to light a fire without a pair of glasses, since none of them could manage the kit provided at all. They have killed one crocodile, in spite of the fact that we have been told that their island has been supplied with caimans. What else have they achieved?
    SULLA wrote: »
    You wait for weeks for a meal and two come along at once.
    I thought that. Poor old boa died in vain really, since everyone was stuffed to the gills with pork by the time he was skinned. :(
    Forum Member
    I think that's nonsense. The men have JUST made themselves beds, after a massive sandfly attack; if it hadn't been for the sandfly attack, there is no reason to suppose they would ever have stopped sleeping on the ground. ONE of the men has a skill at fishing; none of the other men have caught any fish. The men were unable to light a fire without a pair of glasses, since none of them could manage the kit provided at all. They have killed one crocodile, in spite of the fact that we have been told that their island has been supplied with caimans. What else have they achieved?
    You are wrong in a number of aspects. First, they created a bed early on (by the guy who left), they didn't make another one till later presumably because they didn't think they needed it until the sandfly attack. Second, they made a raft which shows some ingenuity. Third, it makes no difference whether they caught a a caiman or a crocodile, the men probably thought they caught a caiman. That they caught a crocodile shows that they have some skill at catching things. Fourth, they only spent a few hours trying to make fire, once the fire has been lit they don't need to make another one. Here the comparison with the women is that the women cannot keep the fire going once lit, and have to do it multiple times. Fifth, they have the water situation well-managed, with some kind of organisation in their labour such as cooking and tending fire, fetching water, and hunting for food. Sixth, the women have shown themselves to have no navigational skill, getting lost for days in a small island. What the men didn't do (getting lost) is as revealing as what they did.

There is no doubt that the women have been given the easier option, given that hunting for a crocodile would be the tougher task. The women's first dinner the piglegs basically offered themselves up to them, the pig they caught appeared to be weak. The show, if it demonstrates anything, is the difference between feminist rhetoric and reality, that despite the female critics' complaints about the first series, modern Western women are poorer equipped at survival then men. That is not the same thing as saying that women are intrinsically less capable - if you leave some tribeswomen from the Amazon here they would likely survive better than the men on this show.
  • Surf's UpSurf's Up Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren is great, she deserves a TV series of her own. Totally resourceful, a quiet leader and beautiful as a bonus.