What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    The Tudor Wife by Emily Purdy.

A story told through the eyes of Jane Parker, Lady Rochford (wife of George Boleyn).

Some of the scenes are clearly fictional, and the way she recounts conversations between George and Anne or Henry and Anne verbatim she must have done a lot of eavesdropping :o

But I find it an interesting book, first because she paints a picture of unrequited love, and George's indifference to her, and the fact the story goes from the reign of Catherine of Aragon to the reign of Catherine Howard.

I'm up to the beheading of Anne Boleyn.

Sorry to quote myself :blush:

I've finished the book, and enjoyed it, except for the ridiculous idea of Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard having a fling - that's not based on fact surely :o

In fact I think Anne only returned to court once, at Christmas time, and Henry, Anne and Catherine ate a meal together :confused:
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Slaughterman by Tony Parsons ... I know its not cool to like Tony Parsons but iIdo and at least his books get a wriggle on from the very start
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Slaughterman by Tony Parsons ... I know its not cool to like Tony Parsons but iIdo and at least his books get a wriggle on from the very start

That's on my pile of books awaiting a read. I really liked his previous crime novel, The Murder Bag.

I'm currently reading Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith. A crime novel about a detective investigating three gruesome murders and crossing paths with the KGB and a dodgy American businessman.
  • cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Death Collectors by J A Kerley and now onto The Broken Souls by the same author. I've never read any of the series before, quite enjoying them.
  • Bless YouBless You Posts: 4,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One by One - Chris Carter.

Anyone read this?

I've read some explicit gruesome literature before but this is something else. It's the first book that's freaked me out, so much (because the images were so vivid in my mind) that I've had to take breaks. I have to finish it though.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finished 'Just what kind of mother are you?' by Paula Daly. this is a great thriller although it only gets a 4/5 from me as I found the main character deeply anoying. everything seemed to be all about her despite what her best friends family were going through. I won't be more specific as don't want to spoil anything.
    Now reading Imperium by Robert Harris. very enjoyable so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Scott Mariani The Lost Relic really enjoying it at the moment
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Lisa Jewell - The Third Wife
  • AnnieJayAnnieJay Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keane - Roy Keane
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Prisoner of Heaven by the Barcelona author Carlos Ruiz Zafon - have read Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game too which I also enjoyed. They are kind of mesmerizing books especially reading them late at night with hot chocolate or wine
    Forum Member
    J A Kerley - In the Blood
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes: The Ultimate Collection. I only read some stories, so I want to change that. They ejaculate a lot :D
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Breath Of Snow And Ashes ( Outlander 6 ) Diana Gabaldon
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Never look away by Linwood Barclay.
  • Mint-OpinionMint-Opinion Posts: 16,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Never look away by Linwood Barclay.

I like Linwood Barclay books but they do tend follow a similar path.
    Just started Wool by Hugh Howley and The Girl With All The Gifts by Mike Carey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Second Half - Roy Keane
    Forum Member
    Now trying to save all my new books for holiday so I'm re-reading IT by Stephen King.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Ann Cleeves - Killjoy
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's on my pile of books awaiting a read. I really liked his previous crime novel, The Murder Bag.

really enjoyed it , it's never going to win the booker prize but its good read and you dont find yourself reading the same page over and over again without a word going in ,which seems to happen to me with a lot of books these days
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting on two new books.

Down Among the Dead Men by Peter Lovesey, audiobook narrated by Michael Tudor Barnes. The 15th book in the series featuring DS Peter Diamond of Bath CID. In this story Diamond accompanies his boss on an investigation into police corruption in Chichester. I'm very fond of Roy Grace, Simon Serailler, Harry Nelson et al, but nobody compares to Peter Diamond, even though he must be about 102 by now and should have retired years ago!

Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel.
    "Lilia has been leaving people behind her entire life. Haunted by her inability to remember her early childhood, and by a mysterious shadow that seems to dog her wherever she goes, Lilia moves restlessly from city to city, abandoning lovers and friends along the way. But then she meets Eli, and he's not ready to let her go, not without a fight."
    I chose this one because her most recent book, Station Eleven, was one of my favourite reads last year. Last Night is her first novel. After a good start I've found my interest dropping off a bit, hopefully it will improve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back from the brink - Paul McGrath
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The Plague - Albert Camus
    I really love how Camus writes
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Saw it Coming by Linwood Barclay.
    A fake psychic/clairvoyant scammer gets in too deep.
    Pretty good so far
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just finished Lustrum by Robert Harris which I loved-- looking forward to the final book in the series 'Dictator' in October.
    Now reading and really enjoying 'Follow you Home' by Mark Edwards.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    In The Unlikely Event - Judy Blume
    This story is set in New Jersey, winter 1953, and within three months, there are 3 plane crashes in the city which deeply affects the local communities, and how lives are torn apart and brought closer together.
    This is told by a large handful of characters, who had been affected, far to many in IMO, as I had trouble in remembering who was who, but, overall, this was an engrossing read, with an upbeat ending,