'would of'

Comments

• BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    My personal favourite on FB. - 'Yum, having chooner paster tonight.'
    Definitely one to join the block list :kitty:

I shudder when people say pacific instead of specific.

Oh and I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard Americans say drug instead of dragged :o:blush:
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Firstly I'm a sis. Secondly, I'm Irish - I can spot my fellow countrymen and women on the net when they use the words faith and fate interchangeably and I've never been wrong yet.

Thirdly, I didn't say would of was a typo in the normal sense. Its a phonetic typo, they type what the word sounds like instead of what it should really be.

I've noticed that a lot of Irish posters use went instead of gone.

In BB for example some say things like 'they should have went ages ago'.
  • Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Firstly I'm a sis. Secondly, I'm Irish - I can spot my fellow countrymen and women on the net when they use the words faith and fate interchangeably and I've never been wrong yet.

Thirdly, I didn't say would of was a typo in the normal sense. Its a phonetic typo, they type what the word sounds like instead of what it should really be.

My apologies Ms Lady Cheetah, and in hindsight, I do now kinda get what you mean. I'm not really sure why I put 'ya get me bruv' on the end either if I'm honest, but if pushed I'm blaming alcohol and it being far far too late for me to be up..
    :)
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I used to work in classified ads for the local paper.

Someone rang up to sell some Boxer Puppies.

The girl put it in the paper as Box of puppies for sale.

How cute is that? ....awwwwwwwwwwwww.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn, another grammar nazi-thread. Yes we all get it, you all are so much smarter than everyone else and your continuous pretentious acts of calling people out for it does in fact make you a better person. Teacher, please give these noble beacons of humanity a gold star.
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Is it only illiterate English people who use this annoyance, which can only be due to an inability to read? I wondered if the same phenomenon was prevalent in America.

It probably ORIGINATED in America. Just like replacing the letter "s" with "z" in words like legalise, emphasise and authorise, all of which were highlighted by a squiggly red line beneath them when I typed them in to indicate that I had mis-spelled them.

Little wonder then, that when the spellchecker of a British message board uses Americanised (underlined in red) spellings of English words to tell the British people writing on it that they are spelling their own language incorrectly, that our ability to use our mother tongue is slowly but surely being eroded.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,525
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    There's a decent student bar in Sheffield called the Cavendish. Only time I've ever come across this word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cavendish :cool:

Only the best road cycling sprinter of the modern era and the only man in history to win the final stage (Paris) of the Tour De France on 4 consecutive occasions.

He's always "super happy" when he wins and I wondered if it's a Manx thing.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was written in a newspaper article or official letter then I'd balk. On DS or any online forum for that matter, the use of 'would of' doesn't confuse me or render what is being posted as incomprehensible, so I don't fuss about it. I would say that the majority of us have bigger problems to fret about.

Love the 'chooner paster' example :D I remember years ago collating survey data and noticed a significant number of people worshipped at a CV church.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your right OP. There loosers.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Grammatical errors annoy me in work emails, not so much on here. I regularly get emails from a colleague telling someone has went into the system and amended various data. Then again, after reading this thread, maybe he's Irish so it's not bad grammar after all.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen people write could off before now, which is even more annoying.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annied wrote: »
    "Would of" has been around for years. I'd guess it began as a corruption of "would've". It doesn't annoy me nearly so much as "bored of"!

I hate them both but "would of" annoys me more. At least "bored of" uses a preposition, albeit the wrong one, but "would of" puts a preposition where a verb should be and shows an astonishing ignorance of any language, let alone English.

My niece was told at school how utterly wrong this is - by her German teacher, who is German. When so many people who don't have English as a first language are able to grasp this, why can't native English speakers get it right?

I feel very ashamed when people from other countries speak better English than a lot of English people. The Germans, Dutch and Scandinavian countries seem to excel at teaching English, I wish they'd come over here and teach it in our schools.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Definitely one to join the block list :kitty:

I shudder when people say pacific instead of specific.

A boss of mine not only did that but said "tangenital" instead of tangential. I always thought it might be a good legal defence for someone caught flashing "No officer, I was just trying to tan me genitals".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a decent student bar in Sheffield called the Cavendish. Only time I've ever come across this word.

I believe Cavendish is the family name of the Duchy of Devonshire. They owned a lot of land in Eastbourne (probably still do), which is why Eastbourne has a Cavendish theatre, a road called Cavendish Place and a Cavendish hotel. And Devonshire Park, where they have the tennis tournament.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am often required to technically check reports and other documents before they are issued to clients. I'm supposed to check them technically, but find the majority of corrections are to do with grammar and spelling. I'm not particularly good at either, but am still surprised by the extent of mistakes I find. As well as should of and would of, particular problems are its, it's and even its', and the your/you're and there, their and they're confusions. Possessive pronouns are a big issue.

In most cases the meaning is clear by context, so in that sense it doesn't really matter, but these are documents going to a client. If we appear to be unprofessional in this respect then the client may doubt our technical ability as well.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cavendish :cool:

Only the best road cycling sprinter of the modern era and the only man in history to win the final stage (Paris) of the Tour De France on 4 consecutive occasions.

He's always "super happy" when he wins and I wondered if it's a Manx thing.

When he's really chuffed, he will say super, super happy.
    It makes me smile.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Yes we all get it, you all are so much smarter than everyone else...

It's nothing to do with intelligence of course. It's a matter of ignorance, usually related to people not reading enough. You can be perfectly capable and intelligent but still ignorant when it comes to how to use the language.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I hate them both but "would of" annoys me more. At least "bored of" uses a preposition, albeit the wrong one, but "would of" puts a preposition where a verb should be and shows an astonishing ignorance of any language, let alone English.

My niece was told at school how utterly wrong this is - by her German teacher, who is German. When so many people who don't have English as a first language are able to grasp this, why can't native English speakers get it right?

I feel very ashamed when people from other countries speak better English than a lot of English people. The Germans, Dutch and Scandinavian countries seem to excel at teaching English, I wish they'd come over here and teach it in our schools.

About 20 years ago I had reason to deal with Chinese engineers as part of a project, and so had plenty of discussions through and directly with their translators. Their command of English was very good, especially in terms of Grammar, which had clearly been taught to them as a specific subject, ie not just using the words. As a result, they were very strong in terms of describing a word, ie such as "gerund", "past participle", "possessive pronoun" etc. I found it quite daunting. I was pretty comfortable using the correct word for the situation, but was less sure of being able to say just what type of word it was, as I didn't remember much of this being taught in the "up to O level" English that I studied. My 10 year old daughter seems to be being taught these grammatical rules and terms more formally that I was.
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we're offloading here are a few common errors that make my blood pressure rise:

"Why are you doing that for?"
    "There are less people here now."
    "What was you doing?"
    "Those ones."
    "Are you coming with John and I?"

When I see/hear any of these my head literally explodes!
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Facebook yesterday it instantly made me think of DS :D

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=bbi8MiGk22PYZ7EQhvzmYoh4l5k2TGxc
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst for me was grammatical mistakes in school letters. It was all I could do not to send them back with corrections marked in red.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know it well.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I believe Cavendish is the family name of the Duchy of Devonshire. They owned a lot of land in Eastbourne (probably still do), which is why Eastbourne has a Cavendish theatre, a road called Cavendish Place and a Cavendish hotel. And Devonshire Park, where they have the tennis tournament.

You are right and they actually called their first born child Mark Cavendish, but he only lived a day poor little sod. Was out in Derbyshire a couple of weekends ago and saw all the graves in the churchyard.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No emotional reaction to the use of "would of" instead of the correct "would have" but the failure to recognise the use of the conditional tense and what should not need to be explicitly stated can throw up some real surprises.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I see someone writing "would of" on here I always wonder how they got through 12 years of schooling without being corrected.
    VM123 wrote: »
    I once saw a primary school teacher write a sentence with 'would of' in it on the board.

That explains it.
    In 20 years it will be part of the English language.

Please, no.
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Yawn, another grammar nazi-thread. Yes we all get it, you all are so much smarter than everyone else and your continuous pretentious acts of calling people out for it does in fact make you a better person. Teacher, please give these noble beacons of humanity a gold star.

Thank you, I'm glad you realise that. :)

Am I the only person who takes "grammar nazi" as a compliment? :D