The Warm and Tranquil Room! (Part 4)

Comments

• Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    It's a ginger cat and I somehow think all gingers are male, so I'm calling it a him but I'm not sure. Haven't been able to get close enough to examine him lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well well did I just spot saggy in here or was it a figment of my imagination lol:D The sun is out and some of the birds have returned across the way so the river cant be too bad though it is quite high.

Saggy lovely to see you glad you are getting better and doing some work. Your buttons sound lovely. How did your young charges get so big lol. Good to see the furries are still so friendly lol. Saw ours the other day and the youngest has put on weight which isnt good and the oldest has v high blood pressure though we dont know if its the trip to the vet that does it or not.

EJ surely Oh will walk Floss while your ankle is bad? Im sure if someone she didnt know was trying to get in she'd bark the place down.

Talia hope your wrist gets better I hurt a toe again and my ribs which I strained recently are still nagging me a bit.

Have a good day all. Off to Oh's tonight so dont know when I'll get on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star OH is at work so I get the short straw for the dog walking. Actually the sun has come out though it might be a brief visit, must perhaps take advantage of the break in the rain to get the walk done.

FT are all ginger cats male? I think I have met some female Ginger cats but wouldnt want to say for sure.

Have ventured further afield on DS today as I am resting my ankle and keeping it elevated. I have tried to spread some calm and logic to this demented place but probably not managed it much.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

I don't think I have enough logic and calm to cope with DS EJ, although I was glad to see the pro-Brendan response on the Live and Unjudged thread. My DVD arrived today and so will probably have a look at it on Saturday.

Female ginger cats are rare. It's to do with recessive genes I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am watching the Live and Unjudged DVD right now. I like it better than the Pro Tour I saw at the Appollo.

I was upset to have missed it live when it was being filmed, due to the small accident.

I have tickets for the next Brendan Live show as it comes here in February.
    Forum Member
    If you look carefully EJ you will see myself and Cuddly sitting in the second row. When the camera is filming from the stage into the audience.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry FT the shots of the audience so far, even the Salsa have not been clear enough of the people right at the front to pick anyone out.
  • saggy1saggy1 Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all :-)

Hope those of you who are injured are healing well.

I am sick,sick,sick of the rain!I am hoping CD might reappear with offers of the arks...

I had LM this afternoon,and I take back all I said yesterday.lol.She was a total madam.I had forgotten how 3 weeks before her birthday she goes up a gear.Rude,arrogant,and demanding,quick to tears.Xmas coming after her birthday doesn't help either.Maybe some things will never change.But she is still my honey-bun :-)

I have managed to get into my photobucket account.Here are 14 new photos,including the button things and the furries.
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/saggyone/

Ella is on a diet!She weighed in at 5.1kg in September and the vet said she needs to loose a bit.She was only 4.ikg last Sep.And they only have dry food!!I was dreading Clara as I know she is heavier,and she came in at just under 6kg :-0 BUT the vet was very happy with her,as apparently she is a large built cat.I have them both on senior/light dry cat food.
    Ella is seriously unimpressed.She now trys to eat any human food she can find,which she never did before.I lost my sausages to her on Monday,and Tues she landed in the middle of my dinner plate...Tonight I sat down to toast my late Mum-it would've been her 75th Bday today-with a glass of vino and Ella jumped up and stared at me as if to say 'where's the food then?!' Lol.

I've a day without any work tomorrow,so am off to see a friend for the afternoon.She has just moved in with her fella.So will be great to see how she has rearranged his house!She and her husband broke up two years ago very sadly,so it is lovely to see her happy again.

My thought for today...Is the Forum so cranky now cos we are not pink and fluffy anymore?Did it keep the grumps away?Bring it back then I say.LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely pics Saggy. The button things are lovely, hope you sell loads.

Morning all, the wind has dropped a bit. My ankle is a lot better, swelling has gone down a lot. Taking my old practice shoes today as they lace up and my dance shoes fasten with a strap right across the ankle and I thought it might be painful.
    Forum Member
    If you don't hear from me for a bit, it's because my computer is on the verge of giving up! Work have promised me a new one, but I'm still waiting.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the day to forget. The train from London Bridge broke down at Lewisham and we had to wait half an hour for the next. I was heading to be late but a kind lady who was waiting for the train as well said if I went to Hayes ( the terminus) with her she would run me back to the studio as her car was parked at Hayes and it is only 5 mins up the line from West Wickham.

I got there with 3 mins to spare.

Coming back the trains were still running late but I have made it home ok.

We are having lots of fun lessons now that I am not worrying about exam. We did some more Paso. I did ask why we dont see these steps on Strictly in the Paso and the conclusion is too much prancing not enough dancing. It is an interesting dance actually. We also did Foxtrot and Tango and Samba.
    Forum Member
    Got soaked to the skin last night queuing to get in to the Children in Need thing. There were four audiences queuing so there were a lot of people there and it was bedlam in the Canteen once we got inside.

I won't give the result away, but it'll be shown between 8.00 and 8.30 on Friday night and should be good I think. The four judges were Craig, Len, Terry Wogan and Pudsey Bear who couldn't see a thing so they only gave him one paddle - a 10! Bless.

While they were counting the votes, Vincent & Flavia came out to do a rehearsal for something they're doing tonight (or maybe for the Results Show, I'm not sure). They were dancing to The Soldiers singing a lovely sad song. Brought a tear to the eye. Can't wait to see it on the actual programme. The lead singer has a fantastic voice.

Straypuss (who is definitely male) likes his new box, but there is one slight disadvantage - the flap gets really steamed up so he can't see out at all. Not sure what to do about that. But it was lovely and warm inside there when I put my hand in. Maybe I need to drill some small holes in the flap to let a bit of air in, but not too much cold and rain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am back from OH's. My poor love is hobbling about and in a lot of pain because of a slipped disc. May go back soon as he is off work at the moment.
    Was fun getting back as there were works on the line so had to change trains, then when got back to main station was going to have to wait half an hour for next train so got a taxi instead as I am at Oxfam today at 1pm. So much for a direct train all the way through lol!!

FT glad you had a good time. I think if you rub a little washing up liquid over the flap that should stop it steaming up.

EJ how can you tell when they are not doing proper steps on strictly, is it the way they move their feet?

Must go things to do before I go out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star I am only just learning the Paso but the steps we were doing are not the ones I have noticed on Strictly. Mostly they just seem to do stomping stamping and posturing, there are real steps to the dance.

Have a week without lessons now as it is the uk Championship at the winter Gardens in Blackpool exactly the same time as the SCD competition at the Tower Ballroom also in Blackpool. the place will be heaving.

My ankle is improving. I am wearing trainers mostly as they do give a bit better support and fit better over the support bandage.
    O wore my old practice shoes for my lesson. The soles are not very good now but John says if I rub castor oil into them then let them dry and maybe repeat it, then brush them really hard with the sole brush it should rejuvenate them. Will try it when I remember to get some castor oil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all, just rescued us from the bottom of page 3! Page 3 girls again:D

I have seen the spoiler and the result was predictable but not the one I would have hoped for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning! I was just trying to find W and T but kept missing it - got to page 4 and thought hmm.

I know this place is supposed to be warm and tranquil but I feel a need to get on my soapbox, again :o
    I'm fed up with some of the nonsense spouted on these boards about the dances such as 'a quickstep that was too slow or didn't contain any quickstep (when it's speed was fine and contained whole sections of basics), not enough jive danced in hold (erm it's a jive. the top dancers seem to end up on other sides of the floor dancing it in comps!), a rumba is danced too masculine/ too feminine, not enough steps (the male only ever seems to do about 4 things in rumba anyway)' . :rolleyes:

Sorry about that. I felt the need to get it off my chest. As most people in here actually dance, I thought my frustrations would be better understood in here!

Anyway, I loved Scott's jive last night. I thought the props were actually cleverly used and Natalie had a lot of trust to let Scott do that solo section without her being in sight to grab it back if anything went wrong. He was really quite sharp on the kicks and flicks. I can't wait until I can actually do all the kicks and flicks properly. At the moment I probably look like a very heavy sack of potatoes trying to jive when I do kicks and flicks. I love watching my friends jive in comps but I do look on enviously wishing I could dance like them (and be as slim) *sigh*

I thought Kara's argentine tango was very good too. I've no idea on the technicalities of AT but it seemed very clean and precise to me.

I thought Matt's rumba was actually quite good. You could see he was generating hip action from straightening and bending the legs and it is pretty difficult to settle into the hip correctly after only a few days of training. I tend to either not settle in my hip properly or get there too fast, and I've been dancing for 6 years (some of that due to my initial teacher being poor so I learned bad habits. I'm trying to re-learn good technique now as a consequence).

Anyway, I'll stop babbling on now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kara and Scott deserved their places at the top of the leader board.

Scott's jive was fantastic, I loved his flicks and kicks, and it is hardly ever danced in hold, apart from just holding one hand for some of the steps. Jive is my all time favourite and I love doing it.
    I really admired Kara's AT. Not sure of the technicalities of AT either but it has to be the best AT on Strictly this year, if anything she looked better than Artem.

Will be seriously missing my dance lesson fix this week but as it is the UK Blackpool championship as well as SCD this week I have to go without lesson. There are a lot of couples from my dance school who are expected to do well in various classes at the UK at the Empress Ballroom.
    Forum Member
    I'd love to go to Blackpool - maybe next year. Just taken my brother out to lunch - it was nice for him to get out of the house for a change. Dreadful weather here today - rain and cold, non stop. Very unpleasant.

I had a text from someone last night telling me who was out and I can't say I'm surprised. Sadly the person I really wanted to see go is still there and will undoubtedly make the final now if not actually win it. Maybe they should have two trophies - one for comedy routines and one for actual dancing!

I thought Scott's jive was fantastic especially as he had to do so much of it on his own. Brilliant choreography from Natalie as it proves he can actually dance rather than rely on his pro partner to push him through the routine - unlike some others I could mention.:( Loved Kara's routine too. I just can't warm to Matt for some reason. There is something about him...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FT, weather here is unpleasant too. Star, hope OH's disc mends.

EJ, I agree about Kara and Scott. I also suspected that Kara might have been as good as /better than Artem but don't know enough about the technicalities to back that up.

Just as well you rescued the thread BB. I do agree about the nonsense spouted on this board. I also loved Scott's jive last night and amazed that people thought it didn't look like a jive! I think people picked on Scott because they think they know more about the jive than the AT. Matt did look good too ( I settle my hip too quickly in the rumba and so understand the problem on the 4 1 count)

How meek was Craig when James corrected him on the New Yorker (front leg should be straight though, although not fully weight transferred, and so Craig could have argued that that was what he meant)!

I had a lesson today and my dance teacher videoed us dancing the jive and samba for the person who runs the school so that he could check we were ok for exams. My dance teacher is very small and slim and I look like an elephant dancing beside him (even though I'm average weight). I need a larger teacher to help my self image!

Interestingly he is taking some pupils (from another school) to Blackpool for a medalist competition to be held in the Tower ballroom. He suggested that I might want to do that sometime. How exciting that would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you have someone to video for you or was it set up to record a particular bit of the floor?

I am so fed up with the vitriol spouted on DS, I m just not bothering to read much of it any more as I recognise the names of posters who are the worst offenders, so I stay away.
    Why do people feel the need to be so evil? Is it because no one else knows who they actually are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we had to perch the phone in the corner of the room to video it. The room was the small one and so it was difficult to get the phone positioned. The first time round we disappeared off the picture. I went wrong both times in the jive although not in any major way. The room was too small for the samba too and we kept hitting the corner on the corta jacas (instead of fitting it all in one straight line) and so I went wrong again. (After I told Ballroom B that I found corta jacas easy. Serves me right really!) Not enough room to practice, let alone video, the ballroom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VL that's the ballroom champs DS my parents and niece and nephew are doing. I am doing waltz quickstep cha cha and jive. One of the best bits is the ball and performance by pro couple on the sat night . My dresses are just about finished. Just need to finish my neices
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georgi, I did wonder. I gather that you can dance as a pair (your parents? niece and nephew?) or with a teacher. Do you dance with partner or with your teacher? Do you do a preprepared routine or have you got to be more flexible? It sounds fun. Dressing up sounds good fun too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VL you can do solo ( which is dancing with teacher) pairs or both . Mum and dad do both , niece and nephew do both, DS and I do both and in those pairs forpairs. They have qualifiers and non qualifiers . To take part you must have taken exam in last year. Qualifiers means you have been in top 6 in regional comp. Not sure how much fun last year nerves got to me Patsy style so hopefully better this year but worried about quickstep as have not started routine yet and only got one group class and one private lesson and have to cover all four dances. Stillgot a studio to practice other three tomorrow night after work and uni and before street dance class
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck Georgi. Hope you all do well.

Had to rescue us from the depths again as a load of unnecessary threads have sprung up overnight. Cant be bothered to read them they are mostly just stupid vicious people who should be ashamed of themselves basically.