Options

Police brutality at protests

stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
Forum Member
I was one of the brigade thinking that the majority of protestors at recent student demos were...for want of a better word...scum. However, having done some background research and watched numerous videos of police actions....all I can say, is Goodness me, the police need help here. Some of their tactics are brutal beyond belief.
Charging at protestor on horses, swiping at kids who get in the way (causing serious brain damage in one case), Tomlinson's death, "kettling" innocent people without food or water. The police need to change their tactics pronto.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/26/student-protests-police-under-fire

http://www.sumpter.org.uk/tag/protest/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9276000/9276699.stm

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Meh,

The more I see the less sympathy I have.

All I ever see is students whining and then acting all hard-done-to when they realise that a riot isn't a debating society.

Why do they all run TOWARD the mounted police?

Particularly liked the way some muppet was screaming about how the police upset the pregnant girl with him.
    Who's idea was it for a pregnant girl to attend a demonstration that was likely to become violent?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Police brutality? what Police brutality? :confused:
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Meh,

All I ever see is students whining and then acting all hard-done-to when they realise that a riot isn't a debating society.

Particularly liked the way some muppet was screaming about how the police upset the pregnant girl with him.
    Who's idea was it for a pregnant girl to attend a demonstration that was likely to become violent?

Hear, hear. :)
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then what exactly would you propose the police use... Feather dusters..or ask them not to throw missiles.. not to break windows or deface property, not to throw snooker balls and marbles under the horses feet.. not to confront passengers in cars going to the theatre... need I go on... Some of the protesters were out for trouble.. they might not all have been students but for what I saw.. they were causing the trouble not the police.. Now this morning a boy in a wheelchair had been ferried in to gain sympathy from the public over police brutality.. what next.? kids hurt in the mayhem..... if you go to these kind of protests you know what to expect, so no sympathy..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meh,

Have you read the links above? As I stated, I agree there were some scum elements involved in the protest but police can't treat the peaceful protesters in the same manner. And I dont believe they "ran towards" the mounted police line when they were charging.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the pro-police sentiment. Firstly, whining little shits that think they should be immune from any knuckling down with finances. Also, the police are human too. It must be *scary* to be outnumbered 100 to 1, when it could kick off at any time. Any 'excessive force' must be looked at in that light as well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    Then what exactly would you propose the police use... Feather dusters..or ask them not to throw missiles.. not to break windows or deface property, not to throw snooker balls and marbles under the horses feet.. not to confront passengers in cars going to the theatre... need I go on... Some of the protesters were out for trouble.. they might not all have been students but for what I saw.. they were causing the trouble not the police.. Now this morning a boy in a wheelchair had been ferried in to gain sympathy from the public over police brutality.. what next.? kids hurt in the mayhem..... if you go to these kind of protests you know what to expect, so no sympathy..

I think their tactics are by-and-large correct but not implemented correctly. By all means use the truncheons on the scum element but not on innocent, peaceful protestors and bystanders (cameramen included), You only have to look at videos taken of the protests to realise this happens (Tomlinson for example).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strok wrote: »
    I agree with the pro-police sentiment. Firstly, whining little shits that think they should be immune from any knuckling down with finances. Also, the police are human too. It must be *scary* to be outnumbered 100 to 1, when it could kick off at any time. Any 'excessive force' must be looked at in that light as well!

But pushing 17 year old girls into ditches and smacking photographers round the head? Were all the protestors on the march "whining little shits"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you read the links above? As I stated, I agree there were some scum elements involved in the protest but police can't treat the peaceful protesters in the same manner. And I dont believe they "ran towards" the mounted police line when they were charging.

Must admit, I don't agree with the entire concept of kettling.
    It seems as though it was invented for the primary purpose of making protests as unpleasant as possible for those involved with, I assume, the intent of making people reconsider attending protests in the first place.
    I can't help thinking that actual "crowd control" in order to keep the peace and prevent property damage is only a secondary objective of kettling.

Having said that, kettling is here and anybody who attends a protest should be aware of the likelihood of it happening so it's no good bleating about how awful it is once you're there.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think their tactics are by-and-large correct but not implemented correctly. By all means use the truncheons on the scum element but not on innocent, peaceful protestors and bystanders (cameramen included), You only have to look at videos taken of the protests to realise this happens (Tomlinson for example).
    The police in my view panicked by the violence around them and didnt have the manpower to keep it back , force had to be used and in these scenarios innocents do get hurt..Most going to this protest knew what would happen... People dont turn up at the start of a peaceful protest with masks or scarves tied over their faces... what were they hiding from ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is "kettling" exactly?

Heard it mentioned a few times now
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just what we needed, another thread on this which will highlight 1 or 2 out of 1000's of officers who lose their rag when faced with mobs of protesters and forget the good work they do on the whole.

Just look at the hundreds if not thousands of people involved in the rampages in recent weeks, but oh no we have to focus on 1 or 2 officers wrongdoings instead.

You lot, really, haven't you got anything better to do? like smash up a war memorial or something?

1) The kettling only happened AFTER widespead trouble had broken out in order to contain the damage to 1 area and not let it spill out in to wider London.

2) The only people injured were those fighting near the police line, everybody could step back away.

3) They knew what they were getting in to and chose to go, there are other ways to protest and get your point across.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But pushing 17 year old girls into ditches and smacking photographers round the head? Were all the protestors on the march "whining little shits"?

Yes. Yes they were. Every last one of them. Pointless protest. These people think they somehow have a right to not have to pay more when every single other person in the country has to.

I'm not saying the entire force used was justified. Of course, taking certain isolated incidents, you're going to get dick policemen. Taken out of context the incidents you're mentioning seem bad, I'll grant you. But when things are like a tinderbox on a march anyone can whip the crowd up. Age has nothing to do with it whatsoever. I'll wager a lot of the teens kicking Charlies car were pretty close to 17 too.

EDIT: Thine Wonk - hear hear!
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    scarves tied over their faces... what were they hiding from ?

Scarves over their faces in sub-zero temperatures in London... oo, I wonder :D

(Were I there, my face would have been covered. It's cold, and no-one wants to look at my eczema).
    Strok wrote: »
    Yes. Yes they were. Every last one of them. Pointless protest. These people think they somehow have a right to not have to pay more when every single other person in the country has to.
    And the day that you disagree with something so strongly you want to protest about it, you too will be a whining little shit.

And don't claim it'd never happen, unless you have a crystal ball of proven effectiveness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »

(Were I there, my face would have been covered. It's cold, and no-one wants to look at my eczema).

And the day that you disagree with something so strongly you want to protest about it, you too will be a whining little shit.

And don't claim it'd never happen, unless you have a crystal ball of proven effectiveness.

Ok, perhaps whining little shit is a bad term for it. I'm grumpy, so sue me. But it's complaining about something without seeing any sort of bigger picture at all, just having a narrow viewpoint. It's selfish!
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking isolated incidents, and opinions from those in the rioters section does not give a fais view at all.

Antone who watched the live coverage last week saw who was causing the trouble.

It wasn't the Police that turned up and straightaway deviated from the agreed route. It wasn't the Police throwing snooker balls, golf balls, paint bombs, bottles, chunks of rock, and sticks. It wasn't the Police that caused 1000s of pounds of damage.

Confronted with what they had last week, they showed great restraint. Not many other nations would have put up with that without much stronger action.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am clearly underestimating the thermal properties of a paper cut-out "V" mask. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't the Police that turned up and straightaway deviated from the agreed route.

Agreed route on the NUS march. There were more protest groups than the NUS there, and quite a lot of "organically evolved" protests too (with no organisers at all!).

Who agreed their routes? If they didn't agree a route, why would they feel the need to stick to the NUS's route?

Deviating from "the agreed route" is simple civil disobedience, and I'm all for that. It's not an indicator nor sign of violence in itself.
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly i support PEACEFUL demonstarations and disagree with the huge hike in fees (although im still paying off my own student debt) Ive been watching the news and have some close friends who turned up for one of the demos, they left after an hr due to the hate mongering going on in the crowd, grown men in their 20s and 30s not students whipping up hate and chants, turning up with missles and scarfs covering half their face, certainly not students and certainly only there to cause trouble.

If someones running towards me with a brick, and im in danger im going to batter them with my police baton as well.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am clearly underestimating the thermal properties of a paper cut-out "V" mask. :rolleyes:

Did I quote "mask" or "scarf"? You'll note I removed "mask", because the thermal properties of a paper mask are indeed weak... however, scarves over the face have perfectly legitimate uses, especially at sub-zero-temperatures.

Was replying to something that wasn't there the only way you felt you could make a point to demonise protesters?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member

Well then they should not have been there should they? :mad:

I'm sick of all this crap about the police abusing people at the demonstration/riot as the poster above said "Then what exactly would you propose the police use... Feather dusters..or ask them not to throw missiles.. not to break windows or deface property, not to throw snooker balls and marbles under the horses feet.. not to confront passengers in cars going to the theatre"

IMO its time they got the water cannon out and started giving these little twunts a bath, some of them need pinning down and giving a haircut too!

Bloody students, if uni is too expensive then get a fuking job like the rest of us, we are all having to face harsh times in the current climate so get over it and move on, rather than failing badly to make a point to whoever your trying to make a point to, you have no sympathy from the taxpayers as your just wasting our money on the clean-up.

Also to the college brats moaning about EMA being scrapped...Gimme a break, when I was at college ALL this was used for was buying drink/clothes - if you want someone to argue/moan at why not do it to all those people that waste it or go to college just for the EMA not for the education.

/rant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then they should not have been there should they? :mad:

Why ever not? It's their right to protest (not to riot, though).

Hope you never feel the need to protest - and don't say it'd never happen unless you have a functional crystal ball ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from "the agreed route" is simple civil disobedience, and I'm all for that. It's not an indicator nor sign of violence in itself.

It's not, but it does make planning for the inevitable violence much, much harder.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    Firstly i support PEACEFUL demonstarations and disagree with the huge hike in fees (although im still paying off my own student debt) Ive been watching the news and have some close friends who turned up for one of the demos, they left after an hr due to the hate mongering going on in the crowd, grown men in their 20s and 30s not students whipping up hate and chants, turning up with missles and scarfs covering half their face, certainly not students and certainly only there to cause trouble.

If someones running towards me with a brick, and im in danger im going to batter them with my police baton as well.:rolleyes:

It is quite obvious that a good many such people turned up, as they do to any big protest, because they can hide within a big crowd, and cause havoc. Some such people are actually students too.

Any future ones will be even worse, and should be banned to prevent injury and major damage.

The original cause of the protests are pretty much forgotten, as all the discussion is about the violence.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking isolated incidents, and opinions from those in the rioters section does not give a fais view at all.

Antone who watched the live coverage last week saw who was causing the trouble.

It wasn't the Police that turned up and straightaway deviated from the agreed route. It wasn't the Police throwing snooker balls, golf balls, paint bombs, bottles, chunks of rock, and sticks. It wasn't the Police that caused 1000s of pounds of damage.

Confronted with what they had last week, they showed great restraint. Not many other nations would have put up with that without much stronger action.

Very true and I think a lot of the general public here are calling for stronger action. These protesters are a national embarrassment, and the fact the police didn't come down harder and make more arrests is my biggest concern.

We had royal cars attacked, Christmas shoppers frightened out of their wits, tourists frightened, property destroyed on a big scale and even a war memorial laced with graffiti and damaged.

My biggest concern is that this is the 3rd or 4th time we've had serious disorder and that tourists and Christmas shoppers will be put off etc

I really call for the police to come down A LOT harder and really show these protesters that enough is enough.

It's time for stop and search on everybody coming in to the area and charges for those with weapons or paint.

It's time for CS spray to be used more widely.

It's time for more grab squads to arrest those doing damage.

There should be 100's of arrests on these people.