Experiencing unemployment - still!

RED737RED737 Posts: 378
Forum Member
I'm 33 and I'm have been experiencing my 7th spell of unemployment. The latest one being from June this year till present. Ever since 2005, for one reason or another, I've struggled to hold down a job for all whole calendar year. My most recent service was about 9 months and others prior to that have been up to 5/6 months.

Ironically even before I went to uni, I always had some form of a job even if it was part-time and even when after spending 3 1/2 years at uni, I only managed to get an exit award from the degree course, I was able to make a transition from my part-time job in retail to becoming full-time. Within 3 months, I became a Concession Manager of which lasted me 3 years. I then went of to do retail security for about a couple of years but didn't work out

My head at the time was all over the place and I went into depression - I even booked to see a councillor at my Doctor.

Anyway, over the course of time, it became apparent to me that I was good with people and I trained to become a Personal Adviser. Only about a couple of years ago, I did a post graduate course of Careers Guidance of which I gained an award for. The trouble has been as these types of jobs are public sector, with the cuts from the government, to get these type of jobs, you need to be in London and I simply can't afford it - even though I lodge with my parents. I do have a few credit card debts and personal loan to clear up.

I have been secure in I'd say this is probably the best I've felt about myself in years. I'm looking after myself, I eat well, only drink 3 times a week and I'm generally a happy and a well rounded person for somebody who has virtually no friends and a girlfriend. Supporting my mum through 2 knee operations (she has arthritis and is 55) has been an inspriration to me because of the fact that she has improved a fair bit in terms of her condition.

All I want is somebody to see my qualifications and experience, but I can't even land a job at Next!

I used to work there many moons ago, but that doesn't seem to count. Obviously, my profression is to work in Education and Careers, but I'd be more than happy working in a sports shop or in a clothes shop of a similar nature or even do delivery driving - just hope I get a job soon because without money, choices are very limited:(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend has his own business and recently advertised for someone for 16 hours a week at minimum wage. He received over 300 CVs, some from graduates.
    Things will be bad for years IMO. I feel for you- I'm out of work myself, for the third time in 5 years.
    But I'm over 50, and that age group, like other groups, has its own problems.
    Good luck in your search.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'm unemployed for the second time in ten years and know how you feel. Previously it wasn't a problem in my sector (IT). If I wanted a new job I'd contact an agency on the Monday, have an interview that week, and start my new job a few weeks later after working my notice at my previous place.

This time round it's much harder as IT is one of the sectors hardest hit in the current downturn, especially with the banks and other financial institutions cutting back on staff, IT seems to the amongst the first areas to get cut when job cuts are needed nowadays. I'm looking into an Open University course to get my qualifications back up to date, as the course will be free if I do it part time and wont affect my JSA if it is less than 16 hours a week, but I have missed this years start dates. Still, I have requested all the info and will look at the next available start dates and go for it if I am still unemployed at the time. In fact, I'll go for it and pay myself, even if I am in work as having updated qualifications will no doubt help in the longer term.

I was interested in what someone else posted about adult apprenticeships too, but seems they are only available in certain areas and funding in this area isn't available for over 25s according to my Job Centre advisor. I think though, that it differs around the country depending on their priorities in those areas, so well worth at least asking at the Job Centre about such things. You might get lucky where you live so no harm in asking.

OP, you say you'd be interested in delivery driving, have you considered apply to the Royal Mail?. They are recruiting for the Christmas period, although it's mostly in sorting offices, but they will no doubt also need drivers. Another option is as a self employed courier for one of the big delivery companies, especially for more rural areas.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I was made redundant a month ago and I've been applying like a woman posessed for whatever I can find, I trained as an accountant but I'm applying for reception, office workers, office manager, secretarial, PA and shop jobs as well in the hope that someone will give me a break. Nothing as yet. I wish you luck.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    You don't have to work in public sector to have a good career in advice and guidance, in fact the voluntary/charity sector will probably pay more. Have a look at Jobs Go Public website, they advertise these vacancies quite a lot and not necessarily in London only.
  • thewhizzthewhizz Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    RED737 wrote: »
    I'm 33 and I'm have been experiencing my 7th spell of unemployment. The latest one being from June this year till present. Ever since 2005, for one reason or another, I've struggled to hold down a job for all whole calendar year. My most recent service was about 9 months and others prior to that have been up to 5/6 months.

Ironically even before I went to uni, I always had some form of a job even if it was part-time and even when after spending 3 1/2 years at uni, I only managed to get an exit award from the degree course, I was able to make a transition from my part-time job in retail to becoming full-time. Within 3 months, I became a Concession Manager of which lasted me 3 years. I then went of to do retail security for about a couple of years but didn't work out

My head at the time was all over the place and I went into depression - I even booked to see a councillor at my Doctor.

Anyway, over the course of time, it became apparent to me that I was good with people and I trained to become a Personal Adviser. Only about a couple of years ago, I did a post graduate course of Careers Guidance of which I gained an award for. The trouble has been as these types of jobs are public sector, with the cuts from the government, to get these type of jobs, you need to be in London and I simply can't afford it - even though I lodge with my parents. I do have a few credit card debts and personal loan to clear up.

I have been secure in I'd say this is probably the best I've felt about myself in years. I'm looking after myself, I eat well, only drink 3 times a week and I'm generally a happy and a well rounded person for somebody who has virtually no friends and a girlfriend. Supporting my mum through 2 knee operations (she has arthritis and is 55) has been an inspriration to me because of the fact that she has improved a fair bit in terms of her condition.

All I want is somebody to see my qualifications and experience, but I can't even land a job at Next!

I used to work there many moons ago, but that doesn't seem to count. Obviously, my profression is to work in Education and Careers, but I'd be more than happy working in a sports shop or in a clothes shop of a similar nature or even do delivery driving - just hope I get a job soon because without money, choices are very limited:(

^^^ If i had a penny for everytime i had heard someone say that when they have hit rock bottom. When times are tough and friends are few. When a cooked dinner with the family turns into a simple meal of mashed potatoes and a fried sausage. You're welcome here friend.

And we all know how you feel. We have all been there. Some of us are still there. Some of us have picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off and changed our lives. It can be done. It will happen for you.
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RED737 wrote: »

If you enjoy working with people, sign up to be a special constable, you get a retainer and paid for what you do. You also have a foot in the door for when they have an intake of full time officers. A lot of forces are relying more and more on SC's as they can use them on a 'as needed' basis, and it would look great on your CV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    I was made redundant a month ago and I've been applying like a woman posessed for whatever I can find, I trained as an accountant but I'm applying for reception, office workers, office manager, secretarial, PA and shop jobs as well in the hope that someone will give me a break. Nothing as yet. I wish you luck.

I'm the same. I'm a librarian - I started by applying for only library jobs (including non-qualified posts), now I'm going for absolutely anything and I can't even get an interview for warehouse packing-type jobs.

Everyone keeps saying 'something will come along - just a matter of time' but I'm starting to think I'm some sort of employment pariah :(

Oh well, good luck anyway.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sympathise entirely with this I am currently unemployed and it doesn't seem to matter what I do I just can't get back into a job.

I was "technically" unemployed for a few months after finishing college bar a few odd jobs for an agency that I had been with when I was a student but those were few and far between but got my first major full time job in civil service and was there for seven or so years. Reasons for that being no more I won't go into as such but trust me not all civil servants are just pen pushers some of us did and I guess still do try our best but believe me management never appreciated it.

Had thought having now got a considerable amount of office experience picking up a new job would be easy but no. I've had every excuse given I think. Too old and too young ( I'm in my early 30's) so bit shocked by that, too experienced, not experienced enough. Over qualified, not what we are looking for and the list goes on.

I have tried every area of work from office based to trying to get back in retail which I did when I was younger, housekeeping and cleaning but get knocked back at every turn.

Its so depressing and every setback knocks your confidence even more. I recently did some Learn Direct stuff to try and help and still got nowhere.

I have considered a career change but just can't afford it as get the absolute minimum of benefits I would love to know how most of the people on benefits manage the lifestyles they do I literally buy the value ranges and the basics so I can afford a few luxuries just so life doesn't seem so bad all the time now.

I guess just keep your chin up and keep trying sometime our luck has got to change.

What does get me though and no disrespect to younger people I know they need to get jobs and start somewhere but I am sick of all the government schemes and campaigns to get 18-25s into work and that they are the most deserving of the help offered, it means people like me are losing out on opportunities as we aren't considered to be a priority. My advisor has actually told me before on checking jobs I have printed from the jobpoints that there is no point going for certain jobs as they have to give preference to the 18-25 group. What hope do us "over the hillers have"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry to hear that red.

I am unemployed again after being made redundant and then just finishing a temp role and I am frustrated that I have not been able to find a job and its only been 2 weeks.

I have a degree in Business but will take anything just to get back into work again.

I despair sometimes though as there are tens even hundreds of people going for jobs. I don't think I stand a chance when I am going for 1 job as there is bound to be someone more experienced than me.

I am trying to not be pessimistic but after another job refusal today, it is hard to think otherwise.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still unemployed and having zero luck.

I am studying 24 hours a week with the OU and going back to uni full time in 2013, but I really would like to get a job before Christmas as I'm getting bored now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My most recent one was I tried for a job in Poundland.There was 500 going up for 50 interview spots. I didn't even come close to getting an interview. In the midst of applying for temp xmas work as I type.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of a Headmaster, who has retired, was bored with being at home, so applied and got a job as a van driver for a large company. There are jobs out there, if you are willing to do them.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I know of a Headmaster, who has retired, was bored with being at home, so applied and got a job as a van driver for a large company. There are jobs out there, if you are willing to do them.

The problem is that a lot of the jobs have got really specific skill sets that you'd only get by having previously done that job.

I saw a technician post earlier that I quite liked the look of and fit most of the persons specs with, apart from this one demand to have skill using hardware from a certain manufacturer that I think you'd only ever get if you worked in a car chassis fabrication unit in the mid-90s.

This keeps happening over and over again - and if you apply without filling every single bit of the person spec, you won't even get a 'no interview for you' letter back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes some people get lucky and this is something else I've found that doesn't help when retired people go back into work. Yes I know people get bored but surely you could do voluntary work rather than taking a paid job away from someone that really needs it.

You say there are jobs out there as I say I speak from experience I have a decent CV and have good references both from my last post and personal references but I am still rejected for jobs and I apply for a vast number each week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    Yes some people get lucky and this is something else I've found that doesn't help when retired people go back into work. Yes I know people get bored but surely you could do voluntary work rather than taking a paid job away from someone that really needs it.

You say there are jobs out there as I say I speak from experience I have a decent CV and have good references both from my last post and personal references but I am still rejected for jobs and I apply for a vast number each week.[/QUOTE

He'd have taken anything, even voluntary work, just so that he was doing something and being occupied every day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I have to regularly read posts like this to make me stay in my job. I need to remind myself that although things are crap now, they could (and would) be much worse if I was out of a job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    I have to regularly read posts like this to make me stay in my job. I need to remind myself that although things are crap now, they could (and would) be much worse if I was out of a job.

I know, at least it's a paycheck to look forward to at the end of each month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I feel for you OP, its absolutely crap out there now.

I've been applying for the best part of a year, trying to get an assistant manager job in retail.

As i'm on my own, these naff part time jobs, and minimum wage jobs are no use as i'm struggling to pay my bills and getting more and more in debt.

Anyway after not even getting in interview despite 10 years experience, i had to start applying for the rubbish again, as somethings better than nothing.

Just got a job at B@M bargains as a christmas temp.Had first day today, god its awful.

Best of luck to those struggling. Lets hope things improve for us all.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been unemployed since 2009 first time since 1995. I have applied for anything and I have been told not qualified enough for the job or sometimes over qualified for the job. At the beginning of the year I did a ITQ level 1 and start to do the Level 2 on Wednesday. Hopefully after that I will do the level 3 and level 4 and possibly on to Uni to try a get a degree.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To anyone who is currently looking for employment - don't rely totally on the Jobcentre and employment agencies when jobhunting. I was unemployed for approximately 18 months up until just over a year ago (I am in my late forties, have about 33 years office experience and a string of decent qualifications). I got to the stage where I was constantly getting fobbed off with just about every excuse under the sun. In the end I sent a series of random emails to local employers, thereby cutting out the "middle man" (ie Jobcentre/agencies). By doing this I had an interview within four days of sending my emails and walked out with a job! Maybe worth a try??

Best of luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been unemployed since 2009 first time since 1995. I have applied for anything and I have been told not qualified enough for the job or sometimes over qualified for the job. At the beginning of the year I did a ITQ level 1 and start to do the Level 2 on Wednesday. Hopefully after that I will do the level 3 and level 4 and possibly on to Uni to try a get a degree.

Your in the same situation as me its so frustrating to be told that. I'm going back to Learn Direct again to see if there is anything else I can do to try and help but sometimes it just seems like your continually hitting your head against a brick wall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, at least it's a paycheck to look forward to at the end of each month.

Same here, on the one hand I desperately want to leave so I can leave the country and actually see a bit of the world. But I also know that my job is great (although admittedly not fabulously paid), I enjoy it and the people are really nice. I should be (and am) very grateful.
  • fruity60dfruity60d Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I've never had a job, ;)
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend has his own business and recently advertised for someone for 16 hours a week at minimum wage. He received over 300 CVs, some from graduates.
    Things will be bad for years IMO. I feel for you- I'm out of work myself, for the third time in 5 years.
    But I'm over 50, and that age group, like other groups, has its own problems.
    Good luck in your search.

I am out of work and a similar age to you - 53 to be precise. I was made redundant in June this year. So far I have applied for 600+ jobs in IT and Helpdesk Support in which I have about 20 years good experience.

I have had only one face to face interview so far and a good number of "telephone interviews". Most days I get calls from recruitment people with the usual bollocks saying "come across your CV on the jobwank website, very impressed by it, got a very suitable role for you and do have time for chat?” I give these people my time, answer their questions and I am usually told I tick all the boxes. My details are then apparently sent on to the company who has the vacancy. Most of the time I hear **** all back.

To the best of my knowledge I do not think I am doing anything wrong. I thought it could be my age but now I make a point of not having my date of birth in the CV and nor do I make it known to any recruitment people who contact me. As for my CV it has been "professionally perused" by a HR specialist in the company I previously worked at so I do not think that is the problem. My qualifications are fairly current and up to date too.

So, that all this leads to me think that the current IT job market has the age of problem of too many people going for too few jobs just like most other industries. Some of the vacancies I go for have as many as 400 people applying. Employers market at the moment!

To the OP, and anyone else in the same position, I sincerely wish you the best of luck. It is a tough ole world at the moment. At times it is hard to be positive.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really tough out there at the moment isn't it? What annoys me is when you apply for things and they don't even bother getting back to you, it's really rude. I've had the agency experience as well, where they told me they had a role perfect for me s I dropped everything and rushed to see them. I had a test and then heard nothing after:mad:

I applied for a Christmas temping job the other day. The woman was really nice and showed me how many CV's she'd already had, there was a huge pile. Doesn't give you much hope does it?