denzel washington /alcohol /film

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
Forum Member
it just occured to me the other day how many times DW has portrayed a character with alcohol problems in his films .

i can think of a least 3

courage under fire

man on fire

flight

anybody else noticed this ?

Comments

• Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you aware he struggled with it himself

http://www.chacha.com/question/is-denzel-washington-an-alcoholic

there does not seem much on it, but I do recall, reading interviews with him, in the past, where he alluded to darkness and personal demons, but did not say, what they were

I was thinking about that at times while watching Flight,
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    There's been more of his films where he hasn't portrayed that type of character, I could list them but you get the gist.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He got very defensive about it on a Parky interview years ago. Parky had drink problems himself so did his closest buddies such as Billy Connoly but when Parky said something like "you've been an alcoholic haven't you" DW took it as an insult.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    He got very defensive about it on a Parky interview years ago. Parky had drink problems himself so did his closest buddies such as Billy Connoly but when Parky said something like "you've been an alcoholic haven't you" DW took it as an insult.

Wouldn't most people?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Wouldn't most people?
    I guess it depends on their character. Lance Armstrong certainly didn't seem to like being called a cheat ;)

Parky was one of those who did do some research in to his guests (in those days) to ask relevant questions.
    Perhaps there were rumours or it was known about in certain circles.
    Apparently DW has now admitted that he was on the verge of being an alcoholic.