8:30pm for The Caretaker?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
The Ratio Times website is listing The Caretaker episode on 27th September as being broadcast 8:30pm-9:15pm.

Listings for this day are unconfirmed, it should be pointed out. There's a 35 minute 'TBA' at 5:15, which could disappear, but if the time is right this would make it the latest first run broadcast I believe.

It would also means it starts part way through the dreadful X-Factor, which people seem to love (don't care for it myself), so it'll be interesting to see what this does to the ratings if that IS the start time. Following on from Strictly Come Dancing should help.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD's launch bumped up Doctor Who by 1.1m on the previous episode in 2012. We couldn't benefit from the further increased viewers that the live shows could have brought as 7A ended too soon. This could be a great boost for us - as SCD is proving more popular than X Factor.

If I recall - Series 7, before the break, was on track to being the highest rated series thanks to Strictly. So this could prove an interesting thing, indeed.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    Would guess it's just a temporary place holder while the schedules are being finalised as that's quite late when they want kids to watch as well as adults. Then again deep breath finished around the same time so who knows.

What has impressed me so far about the scheduling of this series is for the first time it has been 7.30 every week. This has been ideal because every other year they have messed it around and had it starting different times every week, so it's been nice to have a set start time. Also I think 7.30 is about the right time for it. Not too early, not to late for younger viewers.

Wouldn't bother me at all if it was on at 8.30 but it might lose viewers on the night as there may be adults who don't personally watch but only put in on for there kids for whom that sort of start and finish time may be a little late.
  • kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Is your next Saturday night Doctor screening 2 hours earlier for some reason?

I ask, as we in Australia are now privileged enough this season to be getting our Doctor simulcast live from London usually that is 4.30am (then it's on at 7.30pm sunday night too).
    And for next week they have it listed as Sunday 2.30am
    We love our ABC here for being wonderful Doctor caretakers.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kxk wrote: »
    Is your next Saturday night Doctor screening 2 hours earlier for some reason?

Next episode airs at 7.30pm in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    The BBC have confirmed the 8:30pm start time for The Caretaker on September 27th.

I think this is actually quite ballsy on reflection, and a show of support for the show by the BBC.

It'll be really interesting to see what effect such a late showing has on the ratings. As some people have pointed out, it's following Strictly Come Dancing, which usually does really well.

We'll just have to wait and see...
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bold move, hopefully one that pays off. Some decent TV for once on a Saturday night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bold move, hopefully one that pays off.

Just read the DS comments section. Too late. BBC has only moved DW later to finish off the show. It's not coming back. Forget the ninth series in development - there's no way it can survive now. It's boring, mediocre rubbish which the BBC can't wait to get rid of.

I may have been lied to, but I'm not entirely certain.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing 8.30 (or thereabouts) will be the norm for the rest of the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    Bad move. Moving it to that time will mean it'll clash with X Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't hurt Into The Dalek's overnights, IIRC. SCD generally has higher numbers - and that's both our lead-in and the first clash with X Factor.

The morning of the 28th will reveal all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And apparently there's a specific reason why Mummy on the Orient Express will be on at a later time (although I can't imagine it being later than 8.30...)
    "The Mummy was deemed too scary by the BBC and will require a later time slot"

Well, I'm intrigued...
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time will indeed tell, but I think it's quite a bold move as Radcliffe95 said. Obviously it'll be a bit late for some of the young uns but the lead in is something of an improvement on Tumble!

Think a new Pointless Celebrities might help bump up the overnights a bit on Saturday too...

Know overnights are no real biggie these days, but I'm a bit of a ratings anorak on the quiet so find this sort of thing quite interesting.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Just read the DS comments section. Too late. BBC has only moved DW later to finish off the show. It's not coming back. Forget the ninth series in development - there's no way it can survive now. It's boring, mediocre rubbish which the BBC can't wait to get rid of.

No idea why DS have decided to make a big deal about this, well I do, it gets them hits from the doom-mongers. We knew this was coming from the moment they said it would air in autumn, it was always going to the same schedule as every year with Doctor Who in place of Atlantis/Merlin. It's a good move imo, even if the ratings don't get much of a boost, it's still better than airing too early without much of a lead in.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is like things like iPlayer doesn't exist for some people on this forum.

People can watch BOTH X-Factor and Doctor Who in the same weekend you know. Some have these handy little gadgets that let you record television programmes to watch later and if these people are part of the sample that is used to make up the ratings then they will be added to the overnights, which mean nothing to a channel not dependant on advertsing.

Of course the BBC are going to scrap a programme that sells well abroad as well.
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

I pretty much doubt that the show has been finished.

As long as the show is popular, the show will remain as it is.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    In one way I'm glad that it's airing at a time where it's more fully into the 'prime time' part of the night, but on the other hand, I was pleased after all these years that they were showing it at the same time every week, so it's a bit of a shame to lose that continuity.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've already given up on the X-Factor this year. Thought I might be entertained by Mel B being a stroppy cow, but its edited in such a bland way.
    Couldn't give a toss about who they pick any more.

Plus its repeated on Sunday Afternoon. When there is nothing on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I remember fans complaining when Merlin had the 'late' slot after Strictly and Doctor Who didn't. Now it's got that slot and guess what? Fans are complaining. ;-)

PS: Even up against The X-Factor, it didn't do Merlin much harm.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    It already does anyway. Only Deep Breath avoided it, and that was because X Factor started the following week.

It's a bad time for a whole other reason though - too late for the kids. The 9pm watershed exists for a reason. Kids are in bed by then. But Doctor Who will end at 9.15pm.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    It already does anyway. Only Deep Breath avoided it, and that was because X Factor started the following week.

It's a bad time for a whole other reason though - too late for the kids. The 9pm watershed exists for a reason. Kids are in bed by then. But Doctor Who will end at 9.15pm.
    Not all kids will be.and some will b allowed to stay up later to watch it.
    when i was a kid my mum and dad would let me stay up later to watch a movie or something like V.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to clash with The X Factor & some kids who watch it will be in bed.

I blame DR Who, they should have left it on in Spring time where there was hardly any competition. It doesn't matter if it was dark or light outside like that SM has said.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I hope its a scary episode - it'll be proper dark by then!

**prepares spot behind the sofa**
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Episode 6 sounds more fun than anything. But Episode 7 doesn't sound pleasant :( Eviscerated corpses... viscous spider-like creatures... no thanks, had enough spiders in my house for one year.

Then comes Episode 8......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Apparently it'll feel similar threat-wise to The Lodger. So not very scary. :D