Father attacks man who killed his 3 year old daughter in court

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"A fight broke out in a Detroit, Michigan courtroom on Friday, as a father attacked the man responsible for killing his 3-year-old daughter during a sentencing hearing.

Dwayne Smith's daughter Jamila died in September 2014, after her mother Jasmine Gordon and Gordon's husband Clifford Thomas took her to the hospital when she stopped breathing.

The couple claimed that the little girl hit her head and then fell unconscious, but experts later determined that the girl's death was a homicide, after suffering physical abuse from Thomas."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3217092/Chaos-courtroom-father-attacks-3-year-old-daughter-s-killer-sentencing-hearing.html#ixzz3kQHR2wNK

I don't blame the little girl's father for wanting to attack the alleged killer I don't think anyone could blame him. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Comments

• NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    "A fight broke out in a Detroit, Michigan courtroom on Friday, as a father attacked the man responsible for killing his 3-year-old daughter during a sentencing hearing.

Dwayne Smith's daughter Jamila died in September 2014, after her mother Jasmine Gordon and Gordon's husband Clifford Thomas took her to the hospital when she stopped breathing.

The couple claimed that the little girl hit her head and then fell unconscious, but experts later determined that the girl's death was a homicide, after suffering physical abuse from Thomas."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3217092/Chaos-courtroom-father-attacks-3-year-old-daughter-s-killer-sentencing-hearing.html#ixzz3kQHR2wNK

I don't blame the little girl's father for wanting to attack the alleged killer I don't think anyone could blame him. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Me too.

Good for him.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he got stuck in...
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What got me is the fact that the convict had the audacity to try and fight back.

If only he lost a tooth or at least suffered a bloody nose.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I don't agree with what he did, hope he gets jail time for assault
  • Alfred ChickenAlfred Chicken Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope it's the first of many beatings he gets in jail.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Good pity he didn't kill him
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I blame him for doing what he did.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a point at which people are pushed beyond the limits of human endurance. Obviously he had reached that point.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well his actions say more than a victim impact statement ever could.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    A nightmare scenario for any parent in a failed relationship. Poor guy. Why did the courts allow him to get into a position where this was possible? The last thing he needs is to end up in trouble on top of having to cope with all that grief.
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good ,hopefully it's the first of many beatings he suffers
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on him. I'd do the same.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can both understand and blame. This is why we have courts and a justice system, it's not supposed to be up to victims to deal out punishment. I might've done the same, but I don't think I should've been able to do it (outside of reacting to immediate threats). Seems like the security in the courtroom didn't take the necessary precautions.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's got to be a lot of sympathy for Dwayne Smith. What he did wasn't the smartest thing, but most of us can appreciate his motivation.

What I found most interesting though was the mother. She was crying as she was lead in to court, and sobbing so much reading her impact statement that I couldn't make out what she was saying. I wonder, was she crying from grief and remorse, or was this display more about how she felt at the prospect of two long sentences? I know which version I believe was her motivation.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

The judge disagrees with you

the judge decided not to hold him in contempt of court, and he was allowed to go without facing any charges for the tussle.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    The judge disagrees with you

the judge decided not to hold him in contempt of court, and he was allowed to go without facing any charges for the tussle.

Judge made the right call this is an exceptional circumstance the father is suffering enough a conviction and jail time is not going to help the situation.

I have a lot of respect for parents grieving the loss of their children who have been murdered. I still find cases like the Petit family murders particularly distressing. A father was tied up while his two teenage daughters and wife were raped and burned alive during a home invasion. Mr Petit escaped and is trying to rebuild his life. The two individuals responsible were supposed to be executed but the state abolished the death penalty. If ever there was two people that deserved to be executed it is those two.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    What got me is the fact that the convict had the audacity to try and fight back.

lol, really? You're surprised he fought back as opposed to lying there or summat? You're easily shocked :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    If I was that guy, i'd want to stay in prison - can imagine what the girl's dad wants to do to him.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm really glad he didn't. I couldn't even begin to imagine the anger that man was feeling.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh come on, you can't be serious. Extenuating circumstances exist for a reason and the poor man you want jailed, was not jailed for a reason.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    There is a point at which people are pushed beyond the limits of human endurance. Obviously he had reached that point.

Agreed, if someone killed one of my children through an act of violence against them I don't know whether I could keep my composure. I would imagine it's a very difficult thing to do and anyone who harms a child like that isnt fit to be part of the human race.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Agreed, if someone killed one of my children through an act of violence against them I don't know whether I could keep my composure. I would imagine it's a very difficult thing to do and anyone who harms a child like that isnt fit to be part of the human race.

Agree with this. I'm almost certain I wouldn't be able to keep my composure.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone killed my child I would kill them, I wouldn't care about the consequences, so what the father did was definitely agreeable.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Oh come on, you can't be serious. Extenuating circumstances exist for a reason and the poor man you want jailed, was not jailed for a reason.

Sorry I just don't agree with violence