Nuisance calls to mobile phone

Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been bombarded with nuisance calls to my Vodaphone mobile from 0800 912 1698.

The caller says my name and then hangs up.

I now suspect that this has happend because I entered a "win a car" online competition on the DS website.

I googled the nuisance number and via the WhoCallsMe website discovered that the calls originate from Telegen in Brighton.

I've complained to Ofcom now.

If, like me, you were daft enough to enter this competion (thanks a bunch DS!!!!!) go to WhoCallsMe for advice on how to stop the very annoying calls.

Comments

• FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERY loud whistle down the phone when you answer. Had it a few times at work ringing the receptionists, the whistle stopped it dead. Don't care about the legalities if it, do gooders always say you can do damage to their hearing, the offending person should think of that before they call. If not ring your phone company and get the number blocked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be a numpty, but what is the Whocallsme thing about?
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    If its a malicious caller a whistle will do more harm than good. Because they are after a reaction from you, the best advice is to put the phone down (don't hang up) for a few minutes and then hang-up. If its a marketing call, then whistle all you like!

I won't enter DS competitions as they always involve passing your details to third parties.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    If you have signed up to the telephone preference service it is illegal for any UK company to call you. You can register mobile numbers on this scheme too, and then if the company calls you, you can make an offical complaint to TPS.

As far as I know, no network can block a number calling you.
  • Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a numpty, but what is the Whocallsme thing about?

Go to their website and key in the number that has been calling you (landline or mobile).

Alternatively, enter the number that has been calling you into a Google search. That will eventually get you to the WhoCallsMe site.

You will then find details of the culprits and also a message board with posts from other "victims" .

Very useful and informative - and I will never enter a competition via pop ups on sites like Digital Spy again.