Options

Nokia to offer cheap 3G traditional style phones approx £45 (something for Granny)

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I bet they still haven't got 3G in Portlethen. :rolleyes: Seems ridiculous, considering the number of companies out there...

Kingswells gets NO Voda signal, 2G O2 last time i checked!
    Portlethen AND Stonehaven only 2G.. with O2 and i think Voda!

MBNL Strong 3G in all of them!
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I get the 2G/3G coverage difference but I was thinking more along the lines of why bother with 3G at all? Say we assume some years down the line that coverage is pretty much the same across 2G/3G/4G why would you keep 3G? It offers nothing that 4G can't and has a number of drawbacks where as 2G still has some benefits for apps like low data use M2M where power efficiency is important.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    Yeah I get the 2G/3G coverage difference but I was thinking more along the lines of why bother with 3G at all? Say we assume some years down the line that coverage is pretty much the same across 2G/3G/4G why would you keep 3G? It offers nothing that 4G can't and has a number of drawbacks where as 2G still has some benefits for apps like low data use M2M where power efficiency is important.

Heh Verizon in america would agree with you they have already said that both 2G and 3G will go from there network and are already looking at 4G only phones for there network. It frees up spectrum from used frequencies for 2G and 3G. Cuts overheads. I would sooner keep 3G then 2G though.