Why can't I make beef stew

2»

Comments

• pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    halfacrown wrote: »
    Thats sounds like our Irish Stew, steak pieces and chopped onion simmered for an hour then add carrot and simmer for another hour, 30-45 mins later add potatoes cut in to 1/4s and some grated carrot. Simmer until potatoes are soft and add some bisto and a pinch of mixed herbs for colour (you can add a bay leaf 1/2 way through too) and viola.

Sounds lovely but I'm in Dublin and down here irish stew is usually made with mutton or lamb. I hate Irish stew, the grease pools on the top. Don't get me started on coddle :mad:
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pixieboots wrote: »
    Sounds lovely but I'm in Dublin and down here irish stew is usually made with mutton or lamb. I hate Irish stew, the grease pools on the top. Don't get me started on coddle :mad:

I love Irish stew (has to be with mutton or lamb (even goat), to me wouldn't be Irish stew otherwise) however not with grease floating on the top!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had goat at all but I'd love to try it as I've heard its not a fatty meat, but most people here make irish stew with (untrimmed) gigot lamb chops rather than pieces and you get those disgusting circles of grease on top of watery stock. Lamb hotpot I love and I'd devour the chops if they were grilled til the fat was crispy :)
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    the only difference to most of the above recipies is that I usually put in a tin of tomatoes for body, liquid and flavour as well. I usually cook it a day before I want to eat it as reheating always seems to improve it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We'll call ours Ulster stew then :D, ours can be made from mince but if yer really flush, steak pieces it is.:D. Grease is a nono:(
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you also just call it stew right? :)

You shouldn't have grease pools though :confused:

And what are coddles?
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only difference to most of the above recipies is that I usually put in a tin of tomatoes for body, liquid and flavour as well. I usually cook it a day before I want to eat it as reheating always seems to improve it.

Same here, I was wondering if my family were the only ones who always added tomatoes to beef stew.

But my discovery is Passatta, haven't used tinned plum toms for a couple of years now for anything.

One other thing is I always cook the potatoes seperately, either new or mashed. Don't like the way they get kind of stewified rather than stay like potatoes.

As for thickening, dumplings are the answer, messy and troublesome to make, but worth the effort.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever hey,
    Stew is usually the beef version but outside Dublin, in rural parts, where meat was traditionally cheaper and more plentiful a lot of people use lamb or beef in stew. If somebody specifically says "will you have a bowl of Irish stew" you can be sure its lamb:)

Coddle is a traditional working class Dublin stew made with bacon (rashers) and sausages simmered with water and onions and spuds and some parsely/thyme. Some people insist on carrots and or oxo, some purists says its not a coddle if it has carrots in, everyone agrees a real coddle doesn't have oxo in:D
    I find it vile but most Dubliners love it. I think scouse may have its roots in coddle :)

Halfacrown: We were raised on mince stew! MyMa would make a pot last 2 days though the
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Low heat, shin is tastiest but I often use rib or round steak too, stew should only simmer. A stew boiled is a stew spoiled. Does anyone else throw some little mince meatballs in too? Just squish up raw mince into a ball shape and put it in with the rest of the beef, its lovely, my OH prefers the meatballs to the meat:)

Sausages! That's the key to heaven in a beef stew :)

I hate sausage casserole per se, but throwing a few sausages into a beef stew is something my mum taught me, and the only meat I ate from the stew when I was a child (and still prefer them to the beef!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemonhunny wrote: »
    Sausages! That's the key to heaven in a beef stew :)

I hate sausage casserole per se, but throwing a few sausages into a beef stew is something my mum taught me, and the only meat I ate from the stew when I was a child (and still prefer them to the beef!)

What happens if your sausages are beef sausages?
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if your sausages are beef sausages?

Doesn't matter what kind of sausages - I've even used skinless Irish recipe if it's all I have in the house. They take on the flavours of the meat, veg and gravy anyway, but to me they are a flavour of childhood that I'm very reluctant to give up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemonhunny wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what kind of sausages - I've even used skinless Irish recipe if it's all I have in the house. They take on the flavours of the meat, veg and gravy anyway, but to me they are a flavour of childhood that I'm very reluctant to give up.

...but you said you preferred sausages to beef, however if the sausages were beef......

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    lower and longer. Salad cream.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    I do mine in a slow cooker all I do is cut up some Tescos finest braising steak I cut mine up into oxo size peices put that in first then get 3 oxos in a cup with a bit of hot water mix that up poor over the beef then add salt and pepper and a touch of mixed herbs then add a few carrots a large onion a celery and either king eddies or marris pipers add a few then top up with a bit of water bang it on high for a few hours occasionaly stir then the next day on low for about 3 hrs before you want to eat, when served add beetroot or red cabbage and a crusty cob and your sorted, hmmmmmmmm, i'm making mine tommorow ready for monday night, cant wait.:)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harleybobs wrote: »
    I do mine in a slow cooker all I do is cut up some Tescos finest braising steak I cut mine up into oxo size peices put that in first then get 3 oxos in a cup with a bit of hot water mix that up poor over the beef then add salt and pepper and a touch of mixed herbs then add a few carrots a large onion a celery and either king eddies or marris pipers add a few then top up with a bit of water bang it on high for a few hours occasionaly stir then the next day on low for about 3 hrs before you want to eat, when served add beetroot or red cabbage and a crusty cob and your sorted, hmmmmmmmm, i'm making mine tommorow ready for monday night, cant wait.:)

wow, i add that many of my own stock cubes but they are home made, and not out of salt :eek:
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Made a delicious beef stew in the pressure cooker yesterday. Pound and a quarter of lean braising steak from our local butcher, onion, carrots, turnips, swede, barley and few lentils all thrown in with 3/4 pint of water, salt and pepper to season and 2 oxo. Cook for 20 minutes plus 5 minutes to depressurise. Thicken with Bisto gravy powder and cornflour.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using meat on the bone also helps make a thick, tasty stew. Especially when the bone marrow mixes in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I use a pressure pot but the important part is to stir fry the meat first so it will keep the juices inside which you can do in the pot itself - i do it on chopped onion, and then add water just to cover the meat and very slowly cook till it's tender..