Options

A Nightmare On Elm Street Franchise - Flogged to death?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After watching them all for the first time, I have to say...my god, these producers seriously flogged a (dead by the 3rd film) dead horse to make money.

A Nightmare On Elm Street: Was fantastic, it was scary, and the tone of the movie was really chilling. Ending was a bit odd, bit other than that :)

A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: Was awful, it felt like a bad Exorcist sequel. "Freddy's Revenge"? Surely his revenge would have been on Nancy? Not some random in the closet teenager who had no real connection to the original movie?

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors: The best of the sequels in my opinion; glad to have Nancy back. This felt more like the real continuation from the 1st movie; that being said, it had it's flaws.

A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: Dream Master: By this time, I was getting sick of them, it all seemed to get real stupid. None of the characters from this movie had that lasting effect, they just got killed one-by-one without any real character development. The three survivors from the 3rd were disposed of far too quickly for my liking.

A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: Dream Child: Now I really debated whether I should watch this or not, the last was poor and I knew this one would be bad. Bad?! It was awful! Worse than the 2nd & 4th. Freddy feeding the souls of the people he killed to Alice's child was a joke. He also cracked way too many puns for my liking, at first he was really chilling, he was mocking his victims, but he was really scary at the same time. In this, he's like a Simpsons reject.

Freddy's Dead: Who is this new girl claiming to be Freddy's daughter? Why did we not hear of her before? Why is she around now? Do we care? LOL!

New Nightmare: Didn't hold much hope for this, but surprisingly, I enjoyed it much better than any of the other sequels after the 3rd. Having a demon pose as Freddy in the "real world" added a completely new twist to the flogged "Nightmare franchise". Still though, it didn't save this series of movies from dying of death.

Anyone else agree with me? I do like a couple of films, but I'd say the Nightmare Franchise is one of the most flogged slasher franchise ever.

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say the same about just about most franchises.

PS: there was also Freddy v Jason movie, and a Freddy tv show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    You say the same about just about most franchises.

PS: there was also Freddy v Jason movie, and a Freddy tv show

I say the same about most franchises?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say the same about most franchises?

Sorry, I meant "you could say the same about..."
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I have wondered why they downgraded part 4 to a 15 cert from a 18 cert then put the nunchaku scene back in. Also elm street 1 & 5 are cut on uk dvd release unlike their VHS prints which I sadly got rid of a few years back.

:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit I quite enjoyed Freddy's Nightmares. The character fitted the gallows humour of the Creepshow / Crypt Keeper style.

Never a huge fan of the movies though. I'd guess I've never watched beyond 3.

The remake was good though. The new Freddy was much nastier.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to the Freddy films I will only watch 1 & 3. As far as I'm concerned the rest don't exist. You could watch 1 & 3 and have it end after 3 and not watch any of the dross that followed and actually be content with the ending.

FWIW I actually enjoyed both the sinister Freddy from 1 as well as the comical Freddy that followed much later.

I think a lot of the slasher/horror movies of the 80's have been flogged to bits. Childs Play, ANoES, Halloween, Friday 13th, Children of the Corn, I'm sure other folks can add more to this list.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I like all of them - some more than others. But like Halloween and the Laurie trilogy (I, II and H20)
    I'd like to erase the other 4 from history and have a Nancy trilogy - New Nightmare was very innovative when it was released.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even like the first.

I think it's rubbish and not scary in the slightest.

I don't like Wes Craven movies at all.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    When its a franchise in fairness to nightmare what is not flogged to death
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    When it comes to the Freddy films I will only watch 1 & 3. As far as I'm concerned the rest don't exist. You could watch 1 & 3 and have it end after 3 and not watch any of the dross that followed and actually be content with the ending.

FWIW I actually enjoyed both the sinister Freddy from 1 as well as the comical Freddy that followed much later.

I think a lot of the slasher/horror movies of the 80's have been flogged to bits. Childs Play, ANoES, Halloween, Friday 13th, Children of the Corn, I'm sure other folks can add more to this list.

But I wasn't satisfied with the 3rd ending; the lead character shouldn't die, it ruined it for me :(
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wondered why they downgraded part 4 to a 15 cert from a 18 cert then put the nunchaku scene back in. Also elm street 1 & 5 are cut on uk dvd release unlike their VHS prints which I sadly got rid of a few years back.

:(

There were two versions of part 5 doing the rounds - one the complete version, the other a trimmed R-rated version from the US. The one released on rental here in the early 90s was the uncut version, but after that for some reason the version issued on sell-through and on Sky Movies was the R-rated one. I think that's still the only version available too, I got the box set in about 2004 and it was the censored version.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    But I wasn't satisfied with the 3rd ending; the lead character shouldn't die, it ruined it for me :(

the third ending was great IMO i liked it and i thought craven would have repeated it in scream 4

the plan back then i heard anyways was to have nancy come back as like a dream protecter or some sh!te like that im not fully sure.

but IMO 1,3 and new nightmare are the very best in the elm street franchise whats good is they can all flow together nicely aswell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I agree that the "Nightmare On Elm Street" franchise was flogged to death as the only films that were actually any good were 1, 3 and 4 although even they didn't make an awful lot of sense with the constant killing off and bringing back of Freddy through the power of love/fear aswell as the dream world merging so much with the real world to the point that sometimes I lost interest and gave up trying to follow.
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    It was always going to be flogged to death. Just too many iconic factors to the original: child murderer haunting dreams, the striped shirt, the glove, the disfiguired face etc.

With the 4th film New Line toned it down a great deal so they could make a fortune on merchandise and attract the lucrative young teens to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    It was always going to be flogged to death. Just too many iconic factors to the original: child murderer haunting dreams, the striped shirt, the glove, the disfiguired face etc.

With the 4th film New Line toned it down a great deal so they could make a fortune on merchandise and attract the lucrative young teens to it.

I think it was also the face, the demeanour and the personality etc of Freddy. And I think thats credit to Robert Englunds acting ability. Robert Englund will always be Freddy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I think it was also the face, the demeanour and the personality etc of Freddy. And I think thats credit to Robert Englunds acting ability. Robert Englund will always be Freddy.

True, but he's no one trick pony either, he was great on the original V series as the lovable shy mild mannered visitor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    True, but he's no one trick pony either, he was great on the original V series as the lovable shy mild mannered visitor.

Agreed, it's a pity he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

And the visitor was called Willie. I loved him in that. :D
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halloween was always better.