Options

Demotion at work

TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend of mine just called me in tears because she basically overheard her manager and operations manager discussing about how she wasn't up to her role, and she was too young to have been given the position in the first place. Their conclusion was that they'll demote her, and replace her with someone else who has been working at the company for the same length of time, someone who has been working beneath the friend of mine.

Probationary period (of 3 months) has passed for her, so I just wondered where she stood?

The managers in question haven't mentioned anything to her just yet, but if they were to, what can she do about it, if anything?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor thing. She must be really upset. I do wonder why they didn't come to that conclusion while she was in the probationary period. How long has she worked there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor thing. She must be really upset. I do wonder why they didn't come to that conclusion while she was in the probationary period. How long has she worked there?

It's a new hotel, everyone has been working there since December 1st, but it only actually opened for business 2 days ago - the construction etc. got delayed!

Yeah, she's really down - way to kill your motivation, eh?
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your friend know where she may be having difficulties? Does she know what would help her do the job to the standard required? I feel she has to be given chance to resolve whatever shortfalls she (apparently) has rather than be demoted and the job given to one of her subordinates.

Knee-jerk reaction from me is I would prempt any meeting they call by arranging a meeting myself. I'd arm myself with details of what I now felt (after being in the job X months) were successes under my period of management and then what I thought I needed to do (training courses, information, meetings with other departments) to better manage my role.

Ideally have a plan of changes or tweaks to procedures to enable things to run better and perhaps a slight switch of responsibilities to enable the more experienced person to take something that s/he's ideally experienced to do. The more experienced person should be made a strong ally and your friend's friend should learn all she can from this person. Assuming the more experienced person isn't running a campaign undermining your friend behind her back. It happens.

I would make no mention of overhearing anything. She needs to take control of the situation, not wait for it to come to her, and to position herself as a proactive, thoughtful, manager who understands where she needs more experience and has plans to acquire it.

Anything discussed in this meeting I'd copy to my manager and HR.

This is a bit rushed because I'm going out but hope it helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Does your friend know where she may be having difficulties? Does she know what would help her do the job to the standard required? I feel she has to be given chance to resolve whatever shortfalls she (apparently) has rather than be demoted and the job given to one of her subordinates.

Knee-jerk reaction from me is I would prempt any meeting they call by arranging a meeting myself. I'd arm myself with details of what I now felt (after being in the job X months) were successes under my period of management and then what I thought I needed to do (training courses, information, meetings with other departments) to better manage my role.

Ideally have a plan of changes or tweaks to procedures to enable things to run better and perhaps a slight switch of responsibilities to enable the more experienced person to take something that s/he's ideally experienced to do. The more experienced person should be made a strong ally and your friend's friend should learn all she can from this person. Assuming the more experienced person isn't running a campaign undermining your friend behind her back. It happens.

I would make no mention of overhearing anything. She needs to take control of the situation, not wait for it to come to her, and to position herself as a proactive, thoughtful, manager who understands where she needs more experience and has plans to acquire it.

Anything discussed in this meeting I'd copy to my manager and HR.

This is a bit rushed because I'm going out but hope it helps.

Sound advice, thank you, I'll pass it all on.

It makes far more sense to be proactive about improving your work than dwelling and being bitter about whats been overheard.

If it happened to me though, I know I'd be heavily lacking motivation to continue!
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was my workplace she would be put on protected pay (aka same level of pay) for the next three years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    If this was my workplace she would be put on protected pay (aka same level of pay) for the next three years.

Would you be able to remain working somewhere with a manager who used to be underneath you? I don't know if I could do it.
  • Options
    Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Would you be able to remain working somewhere with a manager who used to be underneath you? I don't know if I could do it.

I could if it paid my mortgage!! We have the 3 year pfotected salary where i work,.id happily drop down to a lower position and keep same pay.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has your friend been offered support while undertaking this new role! Would seem damn unfair to me to state they're not capable if they're young, inexperienced etc.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »

I would start looking for a new job immediately, but wouldn't resign without finding something else first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cezzy wrote: »
    Has your friend been offered support while undertaking this new role! Would seem damn unfair to me to state they're not capable if they're young, inexperienced etc.

Not really, she was kind of thrown in at the deep end. She'd worked in hotels before, but not in this position. In reality, nothing they've been doing over the last few months has been hotel related, it's all been checking bedrooms for faults, so she's only been doing the job she applied for for 2 days!

It does seem very unfair doesn't it? No one will progress anywhere if they're not given the opportunity.
    Brigon wrote: »
    I would start looking for a new job immediately, but wouldn't resign without finding something else first.

She's already started looking :)
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems such a shame for your friend that they judge her on two days work . Maybe her skill would be better elsewhere and appreciated .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems such a shame for your friend that they judge her on two days work . Maybe her skill would be better elsewhere and appreciated .

To be honest, she could be shite, I have no idea, but I can't imagine her doing anything drastically wrong :) But you're right, it does seem a really short period of time to make their decision.
  • Options
    Noisy OysterNoisy Oyster Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say that your friend 'basically heard them discussing how she wasn't up to the role' but you have to be cautious in situations like this because it's so easy to misunderstand what is being said. Even if it was exactly as it seemed to your friend they might have discussed things further and decided to take a different course of action and keep her in post with the right support. If she goes in all guns blazing trying to put right whatever she feels has gone wrong she may put them in the position of being forced to make the decision to demote her rather than offering her support to stay..

I would recommend checking out her contract regarding details of exactly when the probationary period finishes and what happens then, perhaps with a bit of advice from a Union rep if there is one or the CAB or a similar organisation as well as having a good think about how she feels she has performed in the post and what help she needs. However, I really think she should wait until they approach her for a meeting and also INSIST that an independent person goes with her to observe proceedings and perhaps offer her advice. She needs to hear the reasons for any decision they have made before deciding on a response. For example, is it possible that this person who they are thinking of promoting has been reporting untrue things about your friend's performance?

The good thing is that she can now prepare for a meeting with them, with some ammunition and ideas of her own to throw back at them, but she really has to be careful because sometimes we overhear part of a conversation and jump to conclusions which are incorrect.
  • Options
    chupchupchupchup Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    aww I feel sorry for her. Horrible thing to overhear. Not very professional of them to be discussing it within earshot.