Did Bruce call dr funky "funky monkey"

Comments

• teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he did he obviously meant it as a term of endearment.

There is far too much political correctness about. If she were white, there wouldn't be an issue.

It's the people who see racism in it who need to look at themselves.

It's all nuts.

I agree, and there are too many people scrutinising everything, waiting to pounce just because they have nothing better to do. If Dr Funke was white it wouldn't be an issue.
  • B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Where are the people 'shouting racism'?
    Are they all on Twitter, because they aren't here, yet. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL it was obvious that he was rhyming monkey with Funke, and that's all it was.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if he'd said it in the house he'd have got a warning
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If he'd asked for a blackcurrant in the house, he'd have got a warning. :D
  • Flower PotFlower Pot Posts: 16,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would never have occurred to me to think of it as racist because dr funke doesnt look like a monkey. :confused: .........................
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,643
    Forum Member
    It was ill-advised, although I'm sure it was not intended to be offensive.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Jequila wrote: »
    Or children. A cheeky monkey used to be a term of endearment/term of exasperation. Now it's a chance of offensiveness and a means of hefty compensation!

Yes this is used a lot where I live & Bruce lives fairly close to where I live..I also thought Bruce looked like he was in an Anxious state right through BOTS ..Which I didn't see while he was in the house, Maybe that is why he comes across as angry? But really he is just very Anxious!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    It seems like the only people offended in all this are the PC GONE MAD!!! brigade. Just trying to find offence, again. ;)

What offended me was Bruce's ridiculous, irritating behaviour throughout the show.

me too - he spoilt the show for me. Someone should have given him a tranquilizer.
  • TrumblesTrumbles Posts: 7,781
    Forum Member
    It made me laugh a bit because I think she was a bit startled by that comment (having brushed off Iain's banter all series) and he was totally oblivious.
    No question. Caroline was warned in BB13 about calling Adam a gorilla and that was before they lost the OFCOM ruling and became warning junkies.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sasparella wrote: »
    LOL it was obvious that he was rhyming monkey with Funke, and that's all it was.

That's what it was - nothing sinister there at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scout66 wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think someone like Bruce would be aware that comparing someone of her race to a simian would be politically incorrect.

Why, is he brain dead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    It was ill-advised, although I'm sure it was not intended to be offensive.

I don't even see why it was ill-advised. :confused:

Monkey rhymes with Funke and was clearly the only reason he put the two words together. (Particularly as 'cheeky monkey' is a much used phrase almost everywhere, irrespective of the ethnicity of said cheeky person).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Thought when he said it there would be a fuss, but it was obviously meant nicely, like saying cheeky monkey and pinching dimples, not racist.

He was probably a bit merry and that makes some people a bit affectionate
  • PontywarriorPontywarrior Posts: 8,142
    Forum Member
    If he did he obviously meant it as a term of endearment.

There is far too much political correctness about. If she were white, there wouldn't be an issue.

It's the people who see racism in it who need to look at themselves.

It's all nuts.

100% agree - it is not the mind it comes out of it is the mind it goes into!

What is wrong with some people that they twist anything to make it a problem.

Op he did say this, do you want to explain what the issue is with this?
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    :rolleyes: FGS! If people are offended by that comment they really need to switch off their TV & take up knitting or something. The world has gone mad!

Hear hear.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I do not understand the fuss over this. Doug referred to Courtney as a 'cheeky monkey'. It is just a phrase and nothing more in my opinion.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never entered my head. He did make me cringe most of the time.Where was that Bruce in the house?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree - it is not the mind it comes out of it is the mind it goes into!

What is wrong with some people that they twist anything to make it a problem.

Op he did say this, do you want to explain what the issue is with this?

What a brilliant line, (which I have no shame in copying to Notes and using in the future). :cool:
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Where are the people calling him racist? I certainly don't see any here.

What I do see is the usual "IT'S PC GONE MAD TO CALL HIM RACIST!!!!" type posts, when no one has actually called him racist.
    Forum Member
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Where are the people calling him racist? I certainly don't see any here.

What I do see is the usual "IT'S PC GONE MAD TO CALL HIM RACIST!!!!" type posts, when no one has actually called him racist.

What is the purpose of the thread then?

There is no doubt this was what was being indicated when the thread was started.
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    What a brilliant line, (which I have no shame in copying to Notes and using in the future). :cool:

Be my guest! :D
  • Janice 65Janice 65 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    If he'd asked for a blackcurrant in the house, he'd have got a warning. :D

Very funny:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am SO offended that people over the age of about 25 are allowed to exist. To think there are people still living who were brought up in an era where the thought police and the Twitter brigade did not control everyone's mind and freedom of speech is an utter disgrace. It is an insult to our planet that people still survive who have a sense of humour, thoughts of their own, and [gasp] unfashionable opinions. Take them to the guillotine immediately, I say.
  • Wayne_BWayne_B Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    I've never heard it.

I've heard people say 'cheeky monkey' though and didn't think Bruce meant anything by his comment.

Possibly a bit thoughtless and over-familiar because he doesn't know her but he's not one of life's sophisticates is he?

To me it's well known. But, you can see it's around:
    http://www.thefunky-monkey.com/
    http://www.funky-monkey-lodge.com/
    http://www.funkymonkeyhouse.com/
    https://twitter.com/FunkyMonkeySnck

However, amazingly, it has some nasty sexual connotations :eek: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=funky%20monkey

Oh dear....