Options

I'm all for the rights of gay people to marriage however.....

Comments

• Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    If its the same then why not give it the same name :confused:
    If its not the same then why have a two tier system for legalising relationships :confused:

I see what you mean although so many more couples these days do not get married at all even though they go on to have children. Seems to me that marriage generally is going out of fashion.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough luck? I said I'm for it. It doesn't bother me in the remotest.

In fact I find it bizarre when some anti gay marriage activists are bothered by gay marriage and claim that it will change the definition of marriage.

The true definition of marriage in the minds of people cannot be changed by a document issued by a registry office.

Then why put marriage for gay people in quotes then? It must bother you if you're doing that.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I want to know is when do I get my provisional marriage certificate upgraded to a real marriage certificate? I popped the sprog nearly 2 years ago now!

Does it get sent automatically or am I supposed to apply for it??
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    What I want to know is when do I get my provisional marriage certificate upgraded to a real marriage certificate? I popped the sprog nearly 2 years ago now!

Does it get sent automatically or am I supposed to apply for it??
    You have to do an advanced marriage course, I think. It costs a bit more but you can live life in the fast lane afterwards :D
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's also less equal for the same reason.

Relationship + procreation > relationship

Do you believe in evolution? The only reason we have male and female is for procreation.
    So a childless heterosexual relationship is still naturally suited for child rearing from an evolutionary perspective. It just can't produce children.
    It's like a car that won't start. It's made to be driven but because of some technical fault it cannot be driven. Still a car but a car that doesn't perform the main function of a car.

Homosexual relationships are entirely different. Not only can they not procreate but they are not made to either.

The knots people tie themselves in to try to justify their bigotry.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wise Badger's views are his own and do not represent those of the adjective & animal themed name community.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One day all marriage will be known as marriage and then we'll know we have really got somewhere.

In other news, what's happening about badger culling? :p
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I'm sure the gays will sleep easier knowing they have the approval of some anonymous internet jackoff.
    .....:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't view it as equal to the marriage between a man and a woman. However that being said if homosexuals want a government certificate that says "marriage" on it and all the legal rights associated with that then I'm all for them having that right since it makes them feel better to have their "marriage" certified as a marriage.

"I'm not racist, but...."

*rolleyes*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    "I'm not racist, but...."

*rolleyes*

I think you need to start your own fred girlfreen. You are soooooooo off topic! :p

:D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who even uses the word homosexual these days? Lol.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I suppose a badger can only be so wise!

But as beavers cannot legally marry, all beavers are bastards. ;)
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure many gay relationships are loving relationships. However that's all they are. Little different to a very close friendship between two people.

Naturally a relationship which produces offspring and furthers the existence of the human species means more than one that doesn't.

relationship + procreation > relationship

Dear Wise Badger,

I'm very confused and hoping your sage wisdom will be able to help me out during these troubled times.

That pesky government has gone and made gay marriages legal. One hopes this is just an April Fool :(
    In the event it isn't, and I'm forced to accept such a Godless union and sin against society, could you please clarify a couple of things for me ?

I'm straight and have been married for 17 years. I haven't got kids. Does this now make my marriage invalid ? Will I have join up to some kind of baby making program in order to justify my total right as a straight person to lord it over those gay types ?

(That is quite a pressing question which needs a swift response as I have to make a note on my calendar about which dates are my most fertile)

More worryingly, if those gay types have children will that then elevate their marriage above my own ? :(

I am particularly concerned about this as you can appreciate. I haven't spent my entire life being straight only to have it be threatened by a lot of them there gays wanting the same rights as me. Please assure me my life's work hasn't been in vain :(

Yours with outrage and confusion,
    Miffed Straight Person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's also less equal for the same reason.

Relationship + procreation > relationship

Do you believe in evolution? The only reason we have male and female is for procreation.
    So a childless heterosexual relationship is still naturally suited for child rearing from an evolutionary perspective. It just can't produce children.
    It's like a car that won't start. It's made to be driven but because of some technical fault it cannot be driven. Still a car but a car that doesn't perform the main function of a car.

Homosexual relationships are entirely different. Not only can they not procreate but they are not made to either.

... and you've just proved that you don't understand evolution either.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    I'm straight and have been married for 17 years. I haven't got kids. Does this now make my marriage invalid ? Will I have join up to some kind of baby making program in order to justify my total right as a straight person to lord it over those gay types ?

(That is quite a pressing question which needs a swift response as I have to make a note on my calendar about which dates are my most fertile)

More worryingly, if those gay types have children will that then elevate their marriage above my own ? :(

I am particularly concerned about this as you can appreciate. I haven't spent my entire life being straight only to have it be threatened by a lot of them there gays wanting the same rights as me. Please assure me my life's work hasn't been in vain :(

Yours with outrage and confusion,
    Miffed Straight Person.

I'm a few years behind you but I think our lives must be in vain and totally meaningless as we're not fullfilling our sole purpose in life. We obviously should just give up now. I'm going to give up work and binge on S2-5 of Breaking Bad before my time is up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eira wrote: »
    I'm a few years behind you but I think our lives must be in vain and totally meaningless as we're not fullfilling our sole purpose in life. We obviously should just give up now. I'm going to give up work and binge on S2-5 of Breaking Bad before my time is up.

I feel your pain, Eira. This is a bleak day for Straightkind.
    I urge you to live your life now whilst you still can.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Eira wrote: »

I'm very confused. I've never 'procreated' and neither has my husband. But I adopted 2 children so does that give my existence some validity? And did my husband become valid when he married me and became a stepfather?

Or does the fact that I adopted when single take away my validity because only married couples can procreate in the OP's eyes?

I'd really like to see the full league table of relationships and parenting circumstances. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    It must have been frustrating for you having this thought burning away inside you and DS having no existing threads whatsoever on gay marriage for you to post it in.
    :) I think this might be my favourite post of the week.
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Prepare for a barrage of abuse OP. If you make just one opinion about homosexuality you get branded as a homophobe haha!
    Hmmmm. No. Mostly just you actually.
    I never said otherwise. I was merely stating the it is pyshically impossible for any homosexual couple to have a their own biological child together.
    Well they say that it's a wise child who knows its own father. If we inflicted compulsory DNA tests on babies we would find that a lot of them have been misallocated. Doesn't normally matter: mama keeps her council, Dad loves the child anyway. Biology is not everything.
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Wise Badger's views are his own and do not represent those of the adjective & animal themed name community.
    :D Ha ha
    Who even uses the word homosexual these days? Lol.

It's a useful word, more as an adjective than a noun. "The Ugandan government has laid down which homosexual acts will be punishable by a 14 year prison sentence."
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally don't view it as equal to the marriage between a man and a woman. However that being said if homosexuals want a government certificate that says "marriage" on it and all the legal rights associated with that then I'm all for them having that right since it makes them feel better to have their "marriage" certified as a marriage.

Wow, just wow.

Bless the little gay folk who just want to feel better in having their marriage declared as a marriage.

Would you consider same-sex divorce not equal to man-woman divorce?
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    I'm very confused. I've never 'procreated' and neither has my husband. But I adopted 2 children so does that give my existence some validity? And did my husband become valid when he married me and became a stepfather?

Or does the fact that I adopted when single take away my validity because only married couples can procreate in the OP's eyes?

I'd really like to see the full league table of relationships and parenting circumstances. :D

I really think there does need to be some kind of a chart for us all to keep track of how valid everyone's marriages are. And maybe the OP could help us to determine your situation? Mine must be really dire though - straight, single and childless with no desire to ever have children, I really must be beyond all hope

And Random42 - I've gotten right to it. I'm watching Breaking Bad S2 E7 as I type.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Prepare for a barrage of abuse OP. If you make just one opinion about homosexuality you get branded as a homophobe haha!

Maybe because there shouldn't be a bloody opinion about homosexuality to have!! You don't seem to get that. Nobody has this much to say about opposite sex couples and it should be exactly the same for gay people because ultimately they are the same and it matters nothing to no one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I'm old with old ideas I don't give a moments thought to saying if gays wish to be married that's OK it harms no one and certainly does not effect my idea of my marriage I'm not for it or against it at the end of the day we all need a loving companion
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you choose not to have children that should not affect the legal status of your marriage. However it's not equal in my view to a marriage which produces children.
    However I'd still call it a marriage. Just as a permanently parked car is still a car.

Your marriage is certainly closer to the definition of a real marriage than a gay marriage is since it's a man and a woman.

If gay people have children, it won't be with each other. The child will either be adopted or it will be one of them having a child with a third person of the opposite sex.
    The child was not produced by the "married" people. It doesn't elevate their marriage at all.

However I support gay people, especially two women, adopting children and raising them if there's nobody else available. That's better than children being in care.
    In the same way I view two friends of the same sex choosing to adopt a child and raise it together.

I'm not in any way threatened by that. I support the rights of gays to a state certificate of their so called marriage as well as all the legal rights and protections. I know what a real marriage though. In fact I find it odd when some people who oppose gay marriage appear to feel that the definition of marriage is under threat.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you choose not to have children that should not affect the legal status of your marriage. However it's not equal in my view to a marriage which produces children.
    However I'd still call it a marriage. Just as a permanently parked car is still a car.

Your marriage is certainly closer to the definition of a real marriage than a gay marriage is since it's a man and a woman.

If gay people have children, it won't be with each other. The child will either be adopted or it will be one of them having a child with a third person of the opposite sex.
    The child was not produced by the "married" people. It doesn't elevate their marriage at all.

However I support gay people, especially two women, adopting children and raising them if there's nobody else available. That's better than children being in care.
    In the same way I view two friends of the same sex choosing to adopt a child and raise it together.

I'm not in any way threatened by that. I support the rights of gays to a state certificate of their so called marriage as well as all the legal rights and protections. I know what a real marriage though. In fact I find it odd when some people who oppose gay marriage appear to feel that the definition of marriage is under threat.

Surely I'm not the only one feeling the rampant misogyny as well as the "pat on the head" attitude towards gays?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely I'm not the only one feeling the rampant misogyny as well as the "pat on the head" attitude towards gays?

You're not the only one.