Frozen

2»

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SS2Matt wrote: »
    The problem with let it go is that it's too iconic with kids. No one has the balls to change it up in fear it'll put them off the vote.

Have a guy sing it or something (Change girl to boy). If they had someone like Rhydian it could work very well as a male vocal.
    The problem was that she did change it...
  • Options
    DarcyprincessDarcyprincess Posts: 25,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annie24601 wrote: »
    Agreed, Lauren's performance tonight wasn't as good as her first 2 performances, but was better than most of the performances tonight. She should get through easily.

Exactly right but she was totally amazing the first two weeks wasn't she?
  • Options
    JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually liked the last chorus, but it was pretty awful leading up to that.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loathe this song,but the original is still a stronger if less rich toned vocal. Lauren needs songs that show off her smooth mid alto, and this was not one that did.Also, she has a maturity in voice and delivery for her age, and this song leans in the opposite direction of that.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Idina Menzel is the better version. Why are they pretending its Demi levatos

I agree Idina Menzel is the better version
  • Options
    AmicaAmica Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blatant appeal to young kids who love this song but Lauren's version was average. Shame as I think she's fab.
  • Options
    varkanoidvarkanoid Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Bit big headed for Lauren to come out and say everyone knows this song and if you dont you've been living under a rock for the last year.

Well I haven't heard it and my wife hasnt either and we live in a house.

Another <yawn> ballad.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not very good.

No one does this song better than Idina and Lauren's version is flat.
  • Options
    Snowyday2Snowyday2 Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lauren was amazing tonight why do you lot pick on her she is a better singer than Idina Menzel and I don't now who Idina Menzel is
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowyday2 wrote: »
    Lauren was amazing tonight why do you lot pick on her she is a better singer than Idina Menzel and I don't now who Idina Menzel is

Seriously? You don't know the queen of broadway, the original Elphaba from Wicked? One of the best female vocalist ever walked this earth?! Shock horror!:o
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree, she is the original voice of the film and her version is head and shoulders above any other version I have heard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How can you say Lauren is a better singer than Idina and they say you don't know who Idina is. Google her or YouTube her performance on the Oscars this year, you'll see what we are talking about.
  • Options
    velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Totally agree, she is the original voice of the film and her version is head and shoulders above any other version I have heard

I can imagine the producers wanting to take a more pop than stage musical sound
  • Options
    delzdelz Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I went on holiday earlier in the year there was a kids talent show with about 30 kids in, 25 of the 30 sung either Let if Go or Do you want to build a Snowman. It was like pulling teeth, It emptied the club :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    velixa wrote: »
    I can imagine the producers wanting to take a more pop than stage musical sound

Very true, but it was movie week and Frozen/Let It Go is a movie not a stage show - yet 😉 nevertheless, I thought she coped well but for me this was her worst week by far
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

Are you living in some kind of parallel universe? Lauren was as far from "amazing" as is possible to be, flat and off key.

Opinions count for little if they are factually wrong.
  • Options
    Snowyday2Snowyday2 Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Are you living in some kind of parallel universe? Lauren was as far from "amazing" as is possible to be, flat and off key.

Opinions count for little if they are factually wrong.

Well a lot of people on Twitter saying she was Amazing
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    It was arranged by the same people who wrote the original...

No, it wasn't.
  • Options
    Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seeing that this is a show looking for the next pop star it made sense for the contestant to cover the "Pop" version of the song.

Whilst I agree that the Idina version is more suited to Lauren it would have sounded too musical theatre.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starzz123 wrote: »
    Seeing that this is a show looking for the next pop star it made sense for the contestant to cover the "Pop" version of the song.

Whilst I agree that the Idina version is more suited to Lauren it would have sounded too musical theatre.

I'm not sure you can say that when people obviously prefer the 'musical theatre' sounding version - the pop version was a bit of a flop, the 'theatre' version was the one that had all of the pop chart success.

Lauren was always going to struggle doing the less popular version of Let it Go (picking that version is just saying 'I'm doing this version because I haven't got the pipes to sing the original version that everyone likes') but she didn't even sing the pop version well. Bad song choice all around - wrong version and she couldn't even sing that version well. I'm a bit sad about that, since I've liked Lauren in previous weeks.
  • Options
    Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eira wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can say that when people obviously prefer the 'musical theatre' sounding version - the pop version was a bit of a flop, the 'theatre' version was the one that had all of the pop chart success.

Lauren was always going to struggle doing the less popular version of Let it Go (picking that version is just saying 'I'm doing this version because I haven't got the pipes to sing the original version that everyone likes') but she didn't even sing the pop version well. Bad song choice all around - wrong version and she couldn't even sing that version well. I'm a bit sad about that, since I've liked Lauren in previous weeks.

I'd hardly say it was a flop, it clocked Platinum in 4 different countries and got Top 40 in 7 countries and it wasn't an official single. I'm not going to say that it's superior to Idina's version but I don't get the irrational dislike of this version :confused:

As for picking the Demi version because it's easier... it's more difficult than the Idina version, it has more far more runs/trills and belts.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Just watched this on the repeat show and was compelled to come into the forum.

She was out of tune.

The judges didn't seem to notice.

I noticed and I watched it on tv when presumably she was auto tuned. God knows what she must have sounded like in the studio.

Why didn't the judges mention the really really obvious out of tune notes? Does this happen often? (Sorry, don't watch it often)
  • Options
    lazy marelazy mare Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »
    I agree Idina Menzel is the better version

They made Marlisa in the Oz Xfactor do Demi's version too. Also boring. But Demi is Simon's pal.