Options

How much would you typically spend on your brother/sister's birthday present?

AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My brother in law has just suggested we buy my sister in law a washing machine for her birthday/moving into a new flat present. It would be £150 each in vouchers.

I was a bit surprised by this - although we will pay for it, it seemed rather a lot.

What do you usually spend?

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    :confused: This is a birthday/house warming present so i see no problem with 150. For just a regular birthday i never go over 100 and usually stay around 50. Expect for special birthdays like 21st, 40th etc...
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We gave up the present then between brothers a long long time ago
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually around £2.99 on a Moonpig card unless it's a special birthday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I guess I am just becoming a bit stingy with gifts! I think my sister spends about £20 on me, if she remembers! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As adults we just buy each other cards, that's it. I have a family and home, and they are my first priority.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing. We've never done birthday presents in our family.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For adult family members cards only and that's all I expect in return...buying presents for adults can get stupid and cost silly amounts of money, if an adult wants something they should buy it themselves.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £20 exactly. I always post my sister a gift card from Boots or Next.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We spend about £25, unless it is a special birthday. Personally I think asking for £150 is a bit of a cheek
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    For adult family members cards only and that's all I expect in return...buying presents for adults can get stupid and cost silly amounts of money, if an adult wants something they should buy it themselves.

Well this is what bothers me. My sister in law is lovely but seems to go on holiday a lot. Now she has decided to buy a flat and makes little comments like how she only has 50 pounds to last till the end of the month.
    She can live her life however she wants but I find it a bit annoying that we are expected to come to the rescue because she can't afford paint or a new dishwasher ....
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can buy their own machine. You can contribute by getting some wash powder (nicely wrapped of course)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Well this is what bothers me. My sister in law is lovely but seems to go on holiday a lot. Now she has decided to buy a flat and makes little comments like how she only has 50 pounds to last till the end of the month.
    She can live her life however she wants but I find it a bit annoying that we are expected to come to the rescue because she can't afford paint or a new dishwasher ....

Why does your BIL think they need a £300 washing machine, you can pick them up for half that price.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually spend around £20 unless it's a special one then I'll spend abit extra
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really think about how much I'm spending, I wouldn't usually spend over £25, but he is 18 now. If I see something I know he'd love and is something useful to him for £5, I'd just get that, I wouldn't think I needed to spend another £20
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Usually around £2.99 on a Moonpig card unless it's a special birthday.

Ditto. Only the kids get a present (nieces, nephews). The adults get a card.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea of giving expensive gifts just because someone has moved is new to me - it doesn't happen in my family!

I gave my sister a present on her 50th but we don't normally swap birthday presents (just cards). We do swap Christmas presents - she buys me a box of Thorntons and I spend up to £20 on her.

Getting a bit fed up with the Thorntons to be honest.
  • Options
    littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It varies but generally never more than £20/£25. Its always just a little gift, nothing extravagant.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as I haven't seen her for 40 years - nothing :D
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My birthday is the first in the year for me and my siblings, so I rule of thumb it, what they spend on me, I spend on them. If I get nothing they get nothing but a phone call. :D

I have got them house warming gifts before, but that's more along the lines of a nice lamp or a cookware set, nothing too big or too expensive.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We spend the same on each other: nothing at all.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once we had children we stopped buying presents for the adults. You have to prioritise I suppose.
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I probably spent £100 on my brother, he is short of money so I get him clothes that he would not be able to afford himself. If I had more siblings it would probably be less.

Even if you are happy to spend this amount on this occasion, the problem is that it may be expected for future birthdays or other family members. Some family members can be right asses about birthdays and get the hump if you don't get them anything!
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Why does your BIL think they need a £300 washing machine, you can pick them up for half that price.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

A £150 washing machine will be garbage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

A £150 washing machine will be garbage.

Oh your one of those..if it's cheap it must be crap brigade.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money never really comes in to it for me If I see something that I think my sister will like, i'll find a way to buy it

Obviously that wouldn't apply if she made it clear she liked a private jet or something like that, but for me it's always been more about the thought behind it rather than how much it costs.