Joseph Kony Internet Campaign

Comments

• TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    It seems like the video is more about donating $ to his organization rather than raising the awareness of helping these Ugandans. He keeps shoving ideas that "Kony is a bad guy!!!11"to our throats without explaining much how/why he does that and the aftermath, he then goes on babbling about his son and how his organisation came to fruition and how successful it has been.

Not convinced and definitely not supporting him.

You're now aware of who Kony is and you're talking about him. That was the aim of the campaign, so in my eyes, they've succeeded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One african tyrant blends into another for me.

I would be surprised if they weren't tyranic and corrupt leaders in Africa. The entire continent seems to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night and than made Mr IC saw it. Do you think people in Ireland and UK will put up posters? I want to help out the campaign as much as possible. I think they are doing a great thing, it has over 32 million views already. It will be interesting to see what happens on April 20th,
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It's actually quite disugsting how many people don't give a **** until it spreads like wildfire on social networking sites.

If they didn't know about it in the first place then how are they supposed to give one?

This is the first I've heard of it and that's thanks to this forum, maybe I'd have found out sooner if I use social networking sites, which I don't btw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Saw this last night and than made Mr IC saw it. Do you think people in Ireland and UK will put up posters? I want to help out the campaign as much as possible. I think they are doing a great thing, it has over 32 million views already. It will be interesting to see what happens on April 20th,

It looks like theres a pretty big London group on Facebook, looks like it's all starting off at Trafalgar Square. I wonder how many people will still be interested by then though, it does seem a long way off.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    You're now aware of who Kony is and you're talking about him. That was the aim of the campaign, so in my eyes, they've succeeded.

No the video is all about raising money to keep paying those guys 80k a year salaries, million dollars a year travel budget and 300k a year film making budget - I love that a bunch of college kids can put a feel good piece of propoganda (including a cute kid saying cute things) on the internet and everyone just blindly accepts it as the truth and that the internet can somehow solve Africas complex social problems by donating $$$$
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    No the video is all about raising money to keep paying those guys 80k a year salaries, million dollars a year travel budget and 300k a year film making budget - I love that a bunch of college kids can put a feel good piece of propoganda (including a cute kid saying cute things) on the internet and everyone just blindly accepts it as the truth and that the internet can somehow solve Africas complex social problems by donating $$$$

As I previously mentioned:

They aren't one of the main offenders. ActionAid pay's its CEO $123,000 - thats 1.94% of their expenses. The founder of IC gets $89,000, 1% of the expenses. The British Red Cross' president gets nearly $1 Million.

They've published a blog explaining the high cost of their travel budget too if you'd care to read it.

A lot of people have simply shared the video, I'm willing to bet more than people that have actually donated.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    As I previously mentioned:

They aren't one of the main offenders. ActionAid pay's its CEO $123,000 - thats 1.94% of their expenses. The founder of IC gets $89,000, 1% of the expenses. The British Red Cross' president gets nearly $1 Million.

They've published a blog explaining the high cost of their travel budget too if you'd care to read it.

A lot of people have simply shared the video, I'm willing to bet more than people that have actually donated.

The spend around 70% of the money they raise paying themselves and on travel and video making...
    cant remember if that is 100% accurate but its not far off
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Making a film viewed by millions, and that makes the national news is not a waste of money.
    It is if the film actually cost $5000 to make and the rest of their million+ dollar expenses on filming and computer equipment actually went on holidays, clubbing, and fast cars. No way we can know really since they bank in the Cayman Islands so we can't check their accounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGgLxcXPHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP51q6241Qg
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how much the major charities roughly spend on marketing?

I've seen a lot of people trying to discredit this charity for spending a large proportion of their revenue on raising awareness, but surely if you don't market yourself no one will donate to you because no one will know about you...

I'm sure I've seen figures from major charities like Red Cross, Oxfam, and NSPCC that show they also spend a hell of a lot on salaries and marketing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how much the major charities roughly spend on marketing?

I've seen a lot of people trying to discredit this charity for spending a large proportion of their revenue on raising awareness, but surely if you don't market yourself no one will donate to you because no one will know about you...

I'm sure I've seen figures from major charities like Red Cross, Oxfam, and NSPCC that show they also spend a hell of a lot on salaries and marketing.

Challenge accepted, target Red Cross.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

American Red Cross president gets just shy of $1 Million per. year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Challenge accepted, target Red Cross.
    But they have overwhelming evidence of the good they have done and have transparent financial affairs, neither applies to this charity.

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually quite disugsting how many people don't give a **** until it spreads like wildfire on social networking sites.

It's not that people didn't give a shit. Many didn't even know about him, I certainly didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Cross

Income: £205.7m

Voluntary income: £119.9m
    Trading activities: £24.8m
    Emergency response and recovery: £9.3m
    Resilience: £15.3m
    Health and social care: £25.1m
    Supporting and strengthening the Movement: £7.9m
    Other income: £3.4m

Expenditure: £199.2m

Fundraising: £40.3m
    Trading activities: £23.5m
    Emergency response and recovery: £46.8m
    Resilience: £36.3m
    Health and social care: £41.4m
    Supporting and strengthening the Movement: £8.3m
    Governance costs: £2.6m

Have to admit i'm not sure what some of those expenditures mean so i will try and find a better breakdown.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member

Is it? The fact is you don't.

Look at afganistan, if we leave and do not invest more there will be a generation of women thrown to the wolves, and many others as well, never mind homosexuals and the rest.

But you know as well as I do that the folks that bleat on about rights for these groups really can't be bothered if protecting their ideals has any cost at all.
    Forum Member

It's probably that people didn't know about him.

When an issue like this is shown to the masses it seems you get two groups of people.

Those who are upset by what they see and join the cause any way they can - even if it's just sharing the information and raising awareness further. Then you get the other group of people (cynics) that will shout them down for not knowing/caring about it beforehand, as if we're supposed to be constantly omniscient about every single atrocity being committed in the world.

I know which I find more disgusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then you get the other group of people (cynics) that will shout them down for not knowing/caring about it beforehand, as if we're supposed to be constantly omniscient about every single atrocity being committed in the world.

I know which I find more disgusting.
    I haven't seen any of the people exposing the dubious nature of this charity shouting anyone down at all about not knowing about it already, they are simply drawing people to concerns that have been expressed for years about this charity and its activities. If you think that is disgusting then that seems rather odd imo.

Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of the people exposing the dubious nature of this charity shouting anyone down at all about not knowing about it already, they are simply drawing people to concerns that have been expressed for years about this charity and its activities. If you think that is disgusting then that seems rather odd imo.

I'm glad you've seen different responses, it's nice to see some can give a reasoned response.

However, I was referring to the responses I have seen. That is what I called disgusting. It's rather odd (Is "imo" really necessary when your post is already personalised?) that you would take what I said and try to apply it to something I wasn't referring to, though. 10/10 for effort.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you've seen different responses, it's nice to see some can give a reasoned response.

However, I was referring to the responses I have seen. That is what I called disgusting. It's rather odd (Is "imo" really necessary when your post is already personalised?) that you would take what I said and try to apply it to something I wasn't referring to, though. 10/10 for effort.
    You said :

"it seems you get two groups of people"...Those who are upset ...and (cynics) that will shout them down ...I know which I find more disgusting."

You didn't really leave much leeway for (i) cynics who didn't shout people down or (ii) cynics who you don't find disgusting. Anyway, now I'm behaving like a nasty cynic so I better keep quiet and stop possibly making people feel a bit foolish for getting caught up in an astro turfing campaign for a charity that has refused independent financial auditing and banks in the Cayman Islands, meaning everyone has zero chance of finding out how much money they really receive or what they do with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably that people didn't know about him.

When an issue like this is shown to the masses it seems you get two groups of people.

Yeah, people making money from it and people dumb enough to give it to them. The government already gives bucketloads of cash to africa, as do lots of countries.

The fact that he's been plying his trade for around 30 years and in the last 5 years has been responsible for less deaths than we have due to driving accidents? now people want to start a crusade, yeah the guy deserves to be shot but its not 1990 anymore, he's as good as finished already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a bit hypocritical to petition against this dude. I mean, the UK & US Govts have been hammered by the public over their handling of the likes of Hussein, Bin Laden and Gaddafi.

Is name-checking the abuse of children the kicker here?

Why not petition and become charitable against Mugabes regime? Or is Mugabe simply not trending right now?
  • emily222emily222 Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the guy just needs one thing...... a bullet in his little evil brain
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emily222 wrote: »
    the guy just needs one thing...... a bullet in his little evil brain

I wish I had a voice like Anerican dad so I could go 'yeaaaah' while high fiveing.

That's a really worthy contribution to the discussion, do you have any feelings about the filmakers? Or the Facebook campaign? Are they legitimate? Can we trust them? Why is this campaign any more worthy than the hundreds of others currently on Facebook? Is the discovery of oil in Uganda relavent?

I'd be fascinated to hear your views!