How to get away with Murder - US Pace Thread

Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all.

Anyone else seen this show. Episode 1 just aired and I found it pretty interesting.

Loved Viola Davis <333

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why but I was expecting a light hearted fun series in the vein of Murder She Wrote - probably cos we were going to get one of those with a reimagining series but that fell thru. Anyway, rather than a case of the week style of thing with the teacher solving crimes whilst using them as teaching tools for her students, we got something else. Not quite sure what's going on but I'm there for it next week. Got a big Scandal vibe too. :)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it will get a second season if its not a case of the week show?
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it will get a second season if its not a case of the week show?

The producer said the whole season revolves around that one mystery which is revealed on the finale. If they do a new season he says it will be a different mystery. etc. Kinda like Desperate Housewives.

The cases of the week will most likely be used to help us get to know the characters.

The girl next door to Wes seemed Interesting. Rebecca. She defintely knows something and is suspicious :p
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was awesome.

Sexy, suave and critical thinkers posturing all day. It was seductive tv.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna watch the Pilot tonight.
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't even on my list of shows to watch.

But noticed it was S01 E01 so gave it a watch.

Really enjoyed it.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    The producer said the whole season revolves around that one mystery which is revealed on the finale. If they do a new season he says it will be a different mystery. etc. Kinda like Desperate Housewives.

The cases of the week will most likely be used to help us get to know the characters.

The girl next door to Wes seemed Interesting. Rebecca. She defintely knows something and is suspicious :p

I think her and the jock type guy had something to do with the dead girl and she was kept in the apartment Wes was in or something.

I understand keeping the body wrapped in the carpet for suspense for the first ep but it was never going to be the professor that was obvious as soon as it went to 3 months earlier otherwise they would be throwing a right spanner in future seasons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That sounds great:) cant wait until 22nd october
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. It may be very early in the new season but that pilot is going to take a lot of beating. Shonda has another hit on her hands.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^It's a Shonda thing. Didn't know that but got a really Scandal vibe from it so with it being a Shonda thing that ain't surprising. :)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    ABC Thursday's seem to be Shonda Night lol. The launch of all three did well.

Grey's Anatomy 10.14m (3.1)
    Scandal 12.16m (3.9)
    How To Get Away With Murder 14.34m (3.9)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABC Thursday's seem to be Shonda Night lol. The launch of all three did well.

Grey's Anatomy 10.14m (3.1)
    Scandal 12.16m (3.9)
    How To Get Away With Murder 14.34m (3.9)

Wow thats pretty impressive
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    didn't like it much
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it thoroughly entertaining. I've been needing a really ridiculous and dramatic legal soap opera since Damages is done, and this fills the bill quite nicely with the added benefit of more melodrama and a very pretty cast.

Viola was mesmerising, I could watch her chewing up scenes all day. I really liked Wes - I don't usually enjoy such characters but I feel his story has a lot of potential and I'm interested to see where it goes. And that actor has effortless charm, is it the dimples? I liked all the other students but none of them stood out much yet except maybe Connor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am quite surprised there wasn't an uproar about the sex scenes. We didn't see anything but the there is no denying that there was cunnilingus, fellatio and even anilingus.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked it.
    TWS wrote: »
    I think her and the jock type guy had something to do with the dead girl and she was kept in the apartment Wes was in or something.

My guesses (massive spoilers):
    a) the gothic girl (Wes's neighbour) and the dead girl's jock boyfriend may be witnesses, but I think they were afraid of being accused of murdering the girl due to a fact they were having a secret affair?
    b) Annalise Keating's husband had something to do with the dead girl
    c) the students thought Annalise was the one who killed her husband so they hid his body to protect her. As it might turn out, Annalise didn't kill him.
    d) the real killer of the husband might be Bonnie, the blonde woman who works for Annalise.
    e) the previous tenant of Wes's flat was a law student who had 'crazy rabbit sex' and a nervous breakdown might play a role because Wes kept noticing the teeth marks and scratches on a wall. The dead girl was living at a sorority house (where she was found dead in a water tank), but it's a possibility that she was having an affair with said law student, who may be that creepy teaching assistant who works for Annalise. He might be the dead girl's killer.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I quite liked it.

My guesses (massive spoilers):
    a) the gothic girl (Wes's neighbour) and the dead girl's jock boyfriend may be witnesses, but I think they were afraid of being accused of murdering the girl due to a fact they were having a secret affair?
    b) Annalise Keating's husband had something to do with the dead girl
    c) the students thought Annalise was the one who killed her husband so they hid his body to protect her. As it might turn out, Annalise didn't kill him.
    d) the real killer of the husband might be Bonnie, the blonde woman who works for Annalise.
    e) the previous tenant of Wes's flat was a law student who had 'crazy rabbit sex' and a nervous breakdown might play a role because Wes kept noticing the teeth marks and scratches on a wall. The dead girl was living at a sorority house (where she was found dead in a water tank), but it's a possibility that she was having an affair with said law student, who may be that creepy teaching assistant who works for Annalise. He might be the dead girl's killer.

Yeah I am thinking A, B and C, D is definitely going to come into it for sure as it was obvious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of that Rebecca girl and I'm not feeling this story direction. That said, Connor was great and I love him and Oliver. Also digging Laurel and Annalise, and Wes (mostly the way we can see the difference between his present and future selves).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of that Rebecca girl and I'm not feeling this story direction. That said, Connor was great and I love him and Oliver. Also digging Laurel and Annalise, and Wes (mostly the way we can see the difference between his present and future selves).

We've not really seen Rebecca much though. What was interesting is that the rest of the students (minus Asher if he is not involved) are supposedly helping her. Which is odd at this stage. Wes we understand but why Connor / Laurel / Michaela.

Annalise is such a fascinating character. I imagine when she finds out her husband is murdered she will be determined to prove the students guilt than her usual defense. If she is innocent.

Was suprised to see Oliver back but I kinda like him and Connor. Can see him getting fed up with Connor fast though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've not really seen Rebecca much though. What was interesting is that the rest of the students (minus Asher if he is not involved) are supposedly helping her. Which is odd at this stage. Wes we understand but why Connor / Laurel / Michaela.

Annalise is such a fascinating character. I imagine when she finds out her husband is murdered she will be determined to prove the students guilt than her usual defense. If she is innocent.

Was suprised to see Oliver back but I kinda like him and Connor. Can see him getting fed up with Connor fast though.

BIB, I wondered if it was a bit of a bait-and-switch. I can't tell from Connor/Laurel/Michaela's conversation whether the 'she' they were referring to was definitely Rebecca or if they could possibly be talking about Annalise. Especially since the episode pointed out more than twice the ~special~ relationship Wes and Annalise have that's set apart from the others in some way. And Wes as we see him in the future-present, would be capable of obfuscating enough that he'd make them think it was all about Annalise meanwhile it's about him protecting Rebecca (and Annalise because I think he's going to grow to be extremely devoted to her the way they're playing that relationship).

It feels like there are so many little subtleties in these growing relationships and many of them will only come to full light once we have the whole picture or more of a picture. I think this is one of those shows I'm going to wish I binge-watched -- I can't do this week-to-week thing, lol. No patience whatsoever. And I think all these clues would be that much clearer once we have five full episodes or so to mull over.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying this show so far. Think getting to know he characters better over the next few episodes will help too.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying this, though it is early days.

I like that Shonda is willing to show many aspects of society and not just straight white people like many shows.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

I like that Shonda is willing to show many aspects of society and not just straight white people like many shows.

Shonda has got nothing to do with the show. She didn't create it lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fantastic episode.

Annalise / Wes dynamic is developing nicely. It's obvious she see's herself in him when she was that age and now she is defending Rebecca <333
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

Shonda is only an executive producer on the show, not a creator or writer.

However, the show creator has been involved (writer and producer) with Grey's since the start and is a producer on Scandal. So he definitely learnt at the 'school of Shonda' hence why HTGAWM has shades of her shows in it.

I'm really enjoying the show. None of the characters are sympathetic and I find that I'm not rooting for any of them, but I am massively intrigued to see where the mystery is going.

Viola Davis is a million shades of awesome!