Is it wrong to wear white or cream at a wedding?

saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
Forum Member
✭✭

what do you think?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    not if you`re the bride.:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't think that it's wrong.

My Mother wore white to my wedding, when I wore the traditional white dress. I had no problem with it.

Maybe it's a question to ask the bride, if you're going to a wedding?
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a good few brides who have been very pissed off with this in the past. Ask the bride. all they can say is no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saladcream wrote: »

what do you think?

Yes. Very bad manners.

A little bit of white or cream is acceptable but the majority of the outfit should be another stronger colour.
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murraymar wrote: »
    I know a good few brides who have been very pissed off with this in the past. Ask the bride. all they can say is no.

I agree. At my *ahem* first wedding many years ago, a 'friend' turned up to the evening reception in the white dress she'd got married in about a month earlier. I felt like smacking her one!!!:eek::o

In answer to the OP, NEVER detract attention from the bride....not if you want to stay friends with them afterwards;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should ask them what the dress and colour code is. I have never been to a wedding (I avoid them) but if I was going I would ask about the dress code. I'm surrpised that the couple don't write what the dress code/colour is on the invitations. It could go horribly wrong unless you do.
  • LovetatsLovetats Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's bad form to wear white if you're not the bride.

At my first wedding, a friend asked me if I minded and I was too young and silly to say yes, so she flounced up in this victoriana ruffled thing and some people were outraged!

Second time around, nobody had better wear white or I'll ask them to go home and get changed! lol
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask the bride. All the friends that asked I said yes to, the only person that didn't ask me I was really annoyed at!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got married and wore a lilac wedding dress and all my female friends asked if they could wear white/cream and i said yes.

I dont think it would have bothered me even if i wore white/cream.

Ask the bride. She may have no opinion on it or may have very strong feelings about it. Its her day so what ever she says goes...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not wrong to wear cream or white to a wedding, it would be wrong if you were trying to upstage the bride though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I don't think it matters at all so long as you don't wear a bridal gown!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    There are so many colours, I'd always just play it safe and avoid white/cream. Surely its easy enough to avoid!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wore a black and cream dress to my cousins wedding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask the bride. I decided on a red dress to my friends' wedding and then got concerned that she may be wearing red. She told me she would be in white and her bridesmaids would be in dark red and she really appreciated that I'd taken the time to ask and check.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you're a virgin, its fine. Same goes for brides too.
    Alan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ask the bride. I wouldn't wear the same colour as the bride and try to avoid the same as the bridesmaid. Then again my gran wore black to my mam's wedding and my mum hated it. So i would always check with the bride.
  • KlootBlanxKlootBlanx Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends what colour the bride is wearing.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member

That made me laugh!! :p
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Indeed, ask. However even if you do wear white it is considered better manners to add other colours (bag, scarf, hat etc) so as not to be deemed 'competing'. This is why bridesmaids wear hideous dresses!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Awww damn it, im going to a wedding soon and i was going to wear my wedding dress that i havent yet worn :o:p
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know women don't like wearing the same dresses as eachother at do's but I didn't realise it stretched to the same colour as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wore a white shirt to a wedding once.

Am I a bad person?
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    BBIRE wrote: »

Am I a bad person?

Yes you're a terrible person. You're right up there with murderers and drink drivers.

;)
  • Charlene FucasCharlene Fucas Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBIRE wrote: »

Am I a bad person?

Did you manage to keep it on dear?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugger.

i wore a cream dress to my mates wedding about 9 years ago. i didnt know you wernt supposed to! I should apologise really. No one bloody told me!

saying that (here i go again) its my wedding in 25 days and even though im wearing an ivory dress, if someone shows up in white, cream, ivory or what ever other dulux swatch you can think of i wont really give a shite! protocol about colours - bloody hell...