Emma Scott Interview

darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
Forum Member
✭✭✭
an intersting feature about the future of freesat on times online http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/movers_and_shakers/article5779877.ece

Comments

• LengsterLengster Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that :D
  • slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's not our intention to get in 9 million homes or anything".......Erm, why not? that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's not our intention to get in 9 million homes or anything".......Erm, why not? .

Because no-one can supply 9 million boxes?
  • LengsterLengster Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it wasn't Freeview's "intention" to get into 9m homes, but it happened anyway. I guess they want the product to speak for itself instead of pushing for a target.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lengster wrote: »
    I'm sure it wasn't Freeview's "intention" to get into 9m homes, but it happened anyway. I guess they want the product to speak for itself instead of pushing for a target.

Its called digital switchover ... if they don't switch, no tv. Pretty sure therefore it was their intention.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice it says there's going to be an Easter advertising campaign, which coincides with when Sky are going to switch to new cards. Hmmm.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's not our intention to get in 9 million homes or anything".......Erm, why not? that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Because Freesat was set up for those who cannot get Freeview after DSO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article says HD won't be on Freeview till 2012- is that correct I thought some people said it was launching this year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    The article says HD won't be on Freeview till 2012- is that correct I thought some people said it was launching this year?

It won't be available in all regions until DSO is complete in 2012. Not sure whether it will ever be available to those viewers that will only receive three muxes. That might give freesat a boost in those areas.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

It was supposed to launch in some areas at the end of this year, but I read something Yesterday that said it might be delayed by up to 18 months if they decided they wanted it to be 1080p capable.

It's a PDF. :)

Not sure if that means 18 months from now ( so 2010), or 18 months from the original start date, which would push it well into 2011?

ETA: Actually I've just read that properly, and it says that they've decided NOT to add 1080p capability.
    So ignore this post. :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    It won't be available in all regions until DSO is complete in 2012. Not sure whether it will ever be available to those viewers that will only receive three muxes. That might give freesat a boost in those areas.
    Well if a lot of areas can't get it till 2012, that leaves 3 years where the only option will be Freesat HD for a lot of people who want HD without subscription.:)
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    Freeview HD will be broadcast on what is currently mux B (the BBC's second mux) this will be available from all transmitters i.e. to 98.5%+ of all households.

There are some conflicting quotes in that interview.
    So she’s competing with her old outfit (Freeview)? “Nah,” she says, veering into estuary English. “It’s more a case of looking at it as a whole. If you’re out of Freeview’s reach, or want HD or iPlayer, get Freesat. But it’s not our intention to get into 9m homes or anything.
    But she also says
    By then (2012) Scott expects Freesat to have a user-base in the “low millions”.
    how is that going to be possible with only a couple of million digital "refuseniks" yet to choose a digital platform and their most obvious choice being Freeview (cheap and easy). They'll have to take viewers from the other platforms.
    Some 3m homes currently have dishes and don’t use them, says Scott.
    Because they're using Freeview or Virgin?
    My job is about acquiring and retaining as many viewers as possible.
    From where? I'm not surprised she didn't say we'd like to destroy Freeview, as that probably wouldn't go down to well with her bosses at the BBC and ITV, or that they're going to take half of Sky's and Virgin's subscribers as that might come as news to the BBC Trust and their assessment of Freesat's commercial impact. Just mopping up churned Sky subscribers with HD and PVR Freesat boxes could add a considerable number of households to Freesat and getting a moderate percentage Freeview owners to upgrade could make Freesat a force to be reckoned with. Why wait to upgrade to Freeview HD when you could go Freesat HD now? I think Freeview HD will be a flop if Freesat can get their proposition right (some of the missing Freeview channels and extra HD channels) for a lower price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    ... she also says how is that going to be possible with only a couple of million digital "refuseniks" yet to choose a digital platform and their most obvious choice being Freeview (cheap and easy). They'll have to take viewers from the other platforms.

Possibly because many people who have "converted" have simply bought a new TV (with built in Freeview), not because of DSO but because they want a new TV. Many of these still can't get Freeview and won't until DSO is complete in their area. If they want the extra non-subscription channels in the meantime, it's freesat for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    Freeview HD will be broadcast on what is currently mux B (the BBC's second mux) this will be available from all transmitters i.e. to 98.5%+ of all households.

The implication of this is that, for viewers who will only get three muxes, there will only be two muxes of SD channels. That's less than there is now for areas that currently be get Freeview. What SD channels will go missing to make room for the HD channels?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This all sounds very half-baked to me. If they are so short of space, will the video be so compressed and the bit-rate so low that it will hardly deserve to be called HD?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    This all sounds very half-baked to me. If they are so short of space, will the video be so compressed and the bit-rate so low that it will hardly deserve to be called HD?:confused:
    Well if they use decoders like Luxe TV use they could get by with half the bitrate, T2 also squashes more data into the same space than can be done with normal Freeview transmissions.